Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slothrop posted:

Everdave I hope your night ended with nothing. Or everything. Dude you are so new to the dating world but also old enough to see how everyone is dumb

I would just say chill out and watch everyone do dumb stuff. Then you'll do some dumb stuff. Everyone is dumb. Don't be legally dumb.

I made it out unscathed except for paying for tinder and now having like 20 matches I think i just need to delete that and take my losses. Ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

slidebite posted:

I live in a small town that has an awesome bakery that people literally drive over an hour to get donuts, cakes and poo poo from.

Well, just walked in to buy fresh buns for grilling sausage tonight and MOTHERFUCKER THEY NOW MAKE FUDGE

I’m heading to Mackinac Island this weekend, home of the best fudge shop in the world, JoAnn’s Fudge. Made the right way in store daily in a copper kettle and cooled on marble slab, 29 flavors catch them all. I’ve never been before but my expectations are set high.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My Mazda3 is in the dealership for some recall work and they gave me a 2018 CX-9 for a loaner vehicle.

Holy poo poo Mazdas are nice now. Heads up display with traffic sign recognition, radar cruise control, lane departure assist, blind spot monitoring, etc. etc. It's an AWD model which starts at 44K according to Mazda's website.

Oh and everything you've heard about Mazda's automatics is true: this is a great transmission and feels crisp as hell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was supposed to wake up around 9, finish the last of the loading, and be on the road by 12.

Instead, woke up to drooly cat that was in obvious distress. He's now short 4 toofs. Poor kitty :(

Guess I'll be on the road by 2...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awww, my cat has also had a bunch of teef pulled.

So thanks to you I am now stock piling my all time favorite shoes since they are so goddamned cheap. Cleaned out Amazon so we'll see if 6pm restocks there of if I'll just clean out their website stock.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So my mother in law's HHR has been having issues when trying to fill it with gas. It keeps tripping the shutoff every 5 seconds so it takes FOREVER to fill it up. Local indy repair guy I use had no clue and told me to take it to the dealership, and they quoted $2500 to fix it, saying it's some sort of solenoid/valve in the tank that needs to be replaced. The car isn't even worth 2k so no way that's gonna happen. Anyone have an idea if it's possible/safe to bypass this valve?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Charcoal canister and purge valve? Not sure about the HHR, but I know it can happen with many other vehicles will the tank gets "topped up" repeatedly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are purge valves normally in the tank? Idk, I need to talk to the service guy because my wife talked to him and she doesn't speak car lol.

Dude hasn't returned my call yet so hopefully I'll get more of a detailed answer. I just can't get over the price they quoted wtf.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 1, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Previa_fun posted:

Oh and everything you've heard about Mazda's automatics is true: this is a great transmission and feels crisp as hell.

I don't think I've driven a Mazda yet that didn't have a smooth-shifting, responsive auto or a crisp tight manual with a perfect clutch.

At least not one that wasn't ragged out after 200k+ miles.

E: Going from my sister's CX-5 back to the Crown Vic after family road trips is always like "Oh right, gotta lead this one along a little bit."

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So my mother in law's HHR has been having issues when trying to fill it with gas. It keeps tripping the shutoff every 5 seconds so it takes FOREVER to fill it up. Local indy repair guy I use had no clue and told me to take it to the dealership, and they quoted $2500 to fix it, saying it's some sort of solenoid/valve in the tank that needs to be replaced. The car isn't even worth 2k so no way that's gonna happen. Anyone have an idea if it's possible/safe to bypass this valve?

airtube next to the main filler tube, it might be damaged or plugged in some way that is causing the tank to not vent properly during fuelling.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

airtube next to the main filler tube, it might be damaged or plugged in some way that is causing the tank to not vent properly during fuelling.

Oh right didn't even think of that....Will have to find something to stick down in there to see if there's a blockage.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Are purge valves normally in the tank? Idk, I need to talk to the service guy because my wife talked to him and she doesn't speak car lol.

Dude hasn't returned my call yet so hopefully I'll get more of a detailed answer. I just can't get over the price they quoted wtf.

Ex wifes old Explorer used to do that. I just learned not to shove the gas nozzle all the way down like you are used to.

Also HOLY poo poo my JAPANESE car (don't want to offend)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My brother was expecting his second, and since he lives close by, we had a standing agreement that if the poo poo hit the fan he’d call, 24/7. Well, this morning at 5:30 he called. “Water has broken, it was green, wife has constant contractions, ambulance has been called.”

I threw on some clothes and hauled rear end to their place (beating the ambulance by about 15 seconds, I might add :smug:) Showed the EMTs the way, they took my brother and his wife to the hospital, and I stayed behind and took care of the oldest (who slept through the entire thing.)

06:30 I get a picture of a newborn. He was out in three pushes apparently.

11:00 I go to the hospital and drive them all home.

Happy everything went well. Having kids really drives home what’s important in life.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You're a good brother, and congrats to the addition to the clan! :)

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

So this new battery tender I bought shuts off charging the battery if it decides something isn't quite right(fine), and then runs itself off the battery, draining it(WHAT). loving piece of garbage. Really wanted to go to a car meet this evening as I'm headed back to an automotive desert tomorrow for a long time.

Congrats, Bolind.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I bought a sticker for my car that says "Do you even SHIFT bro?" because I am a complete child.

I must be, too, because I find that funny.

ExplodingSims posted:

I think I finally regret leaving Orlando.
Las Vegas is a shithole. Not a single good thing has happened to me since I moved here.
My life is falling apart and I want out of this loving garbage city.

LV must be bad if Florida Man is dissing it.
I kid. Las Vegas seems like a place to go play, not live and work.

Rhyno posted:

That sucks.

So the paint on both of my cars sucks, beat to hell. I'm really itching to just paint them myself. Talk me out of this.

Nope.
Biggest problem (to me) is a decent air compressor. You can do a decent job with budget guns in your driveway, better in a garage or temp spray booth. I painted the upper half of my FC RX-7 with a Harbor Freight $12 HVLP and Rustoleum Satin Black in my driveway. IT cam out way better than I expected.

(I had a replacement bumper cover to be added later)

Satin hides a lot of spraying issues that gloss won't, though. I'll be getting practice with that when I spray the engine compartment of my '79 RX-7 with catalyzed urethane in the OEM color.

EDIT: upper half because of peeling clearcoat, peeling paint, surface rust, and differently-colored body parts.

Don't forget your PPE:

everdave posted:

Yes. Kool Aid man shares his blessings with all of us.

Clearly, He is The Savior.

Hansolio posted:

Not just lets people drink his blood, but actively encourages people to drink his blood. He is like Jesus in that way.

Exactly.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 1, 2018

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Oh right didn't even think of that....Will have to find something to stick down in there to see if there's a blockage.

This is super common on certain generation Volvos. They put the vent tube in a place where spiders can get in, and apparently spiders love hydrocarbons so they move in and wall it off. Only happened on one of mine and it self-cleared so I never had to fix it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Grakkus posted:

So this new battery tender I bought shuts off charging the battery if it decides something isn't quite right(fine), and then runs itself off the battery, draining it(WHAT). loving piece of garbage. Really wanted to go to a car meet this evening as I'm headed back to an automotive desert tomorrow for a long time.
Take that crap back, that's a defect as far as I'm concerned.

quote:

Congrats, Bolind.

Same!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jesus, august already? but it was -30 like a month ago :(

I installed an SSD and 8gb of ram in my 9 year old laptop, i wasn't expecting much because i don't think it has sata 3.0, but god drat, night and day difference. I can probably get another 9 years out of this thing.

e: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/10019395

9 years old! bottom of the pile in terms of all benchmarks, but CPU and GPU performing way above expectations.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 1, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok talked to service advisor dipshit dude. He's telling me the problem is a "fuel limiter valve" that is stuck closed on the fuel pump and the tank, which ALSO has a fuel limiter valve, and that both the tank and pump need to be replaced. Lol.

The fuel limiter valve(s) being stuck closed is causing the tank pressure sensor gently caress up and not allow fuel in.

Apparently. This is what a rip off artist is telling me so I'm assuming it probably just needs a new $40 fuel pump.

I'm posting in the HHR forums as well to see if anyone else had had the same issue, hopefully i can figure it out.

[edit] a google search of "fuel limiter valve HHR" turns up nothing so I think this is all a load of bullshit

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 1, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holy gently caress my eyes been irritated all morning, it kinda hurts for a moment when I blink. Checked just now and there's a loving pimple on the inside of my lower eyelid. Doing my best not to rub it and I've got eye drops so I can rinse it out if it pops, but still, god drat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Holy gently caress my eyes been irritated all morning, it kinda hurts for a moment when I blink. Checked just now and there's a loving pimple on the inside of my lower eyelid. Doing my best not to rub it and I've got eye drops so I can rinse it out if it pops, but still, god drat.

I hope for your sake it's just a pimple and not eczema. My eyes randomly swell shut for like a week or two a year.

While i'm playing webMD here, maybe it's a brain tumor :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

keykey posted:

As a Californian I wholeheartedly agree, this place is further becoming a poo poo show with each passing year.
I said it as a California refugee.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Enourmo posted:

its probably just a stye. stop touching it with bare skin. warm water compresses with clean cloth every few hours. the next few days are going to be very annoying.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ok talked to service advisor dipshit dude. He's telling me the problem is a "fuel limiter valve" that is stuck closed on the fuel pump and the tank, which ALSO has a fuel limiter valve, and that both the tank and pump need to be replaced. Lol.

The fuel limiter valve(s) being stuck closed is causing the tank pressure sensor gently caress up and not allow fuel in.

Apparently. This is what a rip off artist is telling me so I'm assuming it probably just needs a new $40 fuel pump.

I'm posting in the HHR forums as well to see if anyone else had had the same issue, hopefully i can figure it out.

[edit] a google search of "fuel limiter valve HHR" turns up nothing so I think this is all a load of bullshit

The charcoal canister vent valve is most likely stuck, meaning its building up excess fuel vapor in the tank and causing the gas pump to shut off. I had that problem with the avalanche for 7 years and just never fixed it because it would be a recurring issue with me driving on lime rock roads regularly. Other option is the charcoal canister itself is plugged up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
BinkyBinkyBinkyBiiiiiiiiinkyBINKYBinky

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

It is probably a stye. In this scenario, do not heat up a paperclip over a flame to lance it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

The charcoal canister vent valve is most likely stuck, meaning its building up excess fuel vapor in the tank and causing the gas pump to shut off. I had that problem with the avalanche for 7 years and just never fixed it because it would be a recurring issue with me driving on lime rock roads regularly. Other option is the charcoal canister itself is plugged up.

Is there a way to see if that's the case? Like if I disconnect the canister?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It is probably a stye. In this scenario, do not heat up a paperclip over a flame to lance it.

This practically tells itself. Yikes.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

RepairPal posted:

The 2008-2010 Chevrolet HHR SS has known issues with the EVAP system, a part of your emission control system.

The EVAP canister vent valve or valve solenoid wiring may fail causing illumination of the check engine light, setting code P0446, and problems filling the tank with fuel.

To correct the issue, the EVAP canister vent valve, solenoid, and wiring must be inspected. The most common fix is replacement of the wiring connector or replacement of the vent valve assembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7luEiKJyjKc

Sounds like "evap purge valve" is what the service advisor was referring to

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

BIN! KY! BIN! KY! BIN! KY!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maker Of Shoes posted:

its probably just a stye. stop touching it with bare skin. warm water compresses with clean cloth every few hours. the next few days are going to be very annoying.

Right now mine is like a white bump on the inside (touching the eyeball), nothing visible from outside. I'll keep that treatment in mind though. Haven't touched it since I discovered it, I'll do the towel thing.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Earughguhguehguh

also

InitialDave posted:

Powershift posted:

BIN! KY! BIN! KY! BIN! KY!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Wrar posted:

This practically tells itself. Yikes.

Just referring to a prior situation where this was advisable. I have seen many things, but I have not seen someone jam a red-hot paperclip into his eye or eyelid. Yet.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Goddamn, insurance is so hosed in this country. I am a salaried employee for a Fortune motherfucking TEN company...For me to get allergy shots (nothing OTC works, this is my best chance of something working since I'm allergic to literally everything) would max out my deductible ($3500) and likely out of pocket max ($5500 I think?) this year, and do the same for the next 3-5 years. They said with my insurance that it's about $5-600 per shot. You get a bunch of them up front (4-5) then monthly after that for 3-5 years since you need the shots for that length of time for permanent results.

Big ole fuckin' nope on that, I'll live with it. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What, you thought they climbed up that list of blue chips by wasting money keeping fungible employees alive?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Enourmo posted:

Right now mine is like a white bump on the inside (touching the eyeball), nothing visible from outside. I'll keep that treatment in mind though. Haven't touched it since I discovered it, I'll do the towel thing.

you can get a stye anywhere on your eye lid there is an oil gland so that's pretty much anywhere on it or in it. it'll clear on its own in 24-48 hours ish. and yeah, they can be topped with a white head. puss-y oily goodness. your eyeball and associated parts tend to heal up and kick out gross pretty quick.

edit: gonna go ahead and hyphenate that because it sounded better in my head :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 1, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maker Of Shoes posted:

you can get a stye anywhere on your eye lid there is an oil gland so that's pretty much anywhere on it or in it. it'll clear on its own in 24-48 hours ish. and yeah, they can be topped with a white head. puss-y oily goodness. your eyeball and associated parts tend to heal up and kick out gross pretty quick.

edit: gonna go ahead and hyphenate that because it sounded better in my head :v:
The word is "purulent." And yes, triage notes say all the freaking time, "Patient states absess with pussy drainage." (It's a lot funnier when it's a labial abscess, but still.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Goddamn, insurance is so hosed in this country. I am a salaried employee for a Fortune motherfucking TEN company...For me to get allergy shots (nothing OTC works, this is my best chance of something working since I'm allergic to literally everything) would max out my deductible ($3500) and likely out of pocket max ($5500 I think?) this year, and do the same for the next 3-5 years. They said with my insurance that it's about $5-600 per shot. You get a bunch of them up front (4-5) then monthly after that for 3-5 years since you need the shots for that length of time for permanent results.

Big ole fuckin' nope on that, I'll live with it. :(

That sucks. I can't seem to spend less than a month/year in the hospital and all it has cost me is their insane parking charges.

My solution: marry a Canadian.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The word is "purulent." And yes, triage notes say all the freaking time, "Patient states absess with pussy drainage." (It's a lot funnier when it's a labial abscess, but still.)

i'm extremely pleased this happens on actual paperwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

That sucks. I can't seem to spend less than a month/year in the hospital and all it has cost me is their insane parking charges.

My solution: marry a Canadian.

You just does zomg:brum, my heart.

• Locked thread