Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Bajaha posted:

I would have thought 14 would have been a bit more than 4 strokes.

At 14, it just depended on who's doing the stroking :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

This cell talk is timely for me. I'm going to Europe for a few weeks next month. Should I just be able to pick up a relatively cheap burner SIM at a major airport (Munich) or will I have to go into a city to grab one?

Unless there's a law about not selling prepaid cards in the airport (unlikely) I'd think you would be able to find a shop with some options. Buy a card, activate online (airport wifi?) then you should be good to go. The cards I used did need an address to register/activate but I never had issues using the hotel address.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

bolind posted:

So my mate works for a major Scandinavian telecommunications provider.

Take a guess what the highest ever cell phone bill for roaming data usage abroad was.

2.1 million DKK, so ~€281k or ~$329k :stare:

That's pretty impressive, but in terms of rate per unit of time I have a story that will beat it.

At my previous employer, we had a couple of aircraft equipped with high-speed satellite internet, basically so that if someone wanted to keep connected to the office they could. I mean it wasn't fast at all compared to terrestrial internet, something like 500kbps or so, but you could passably watch YouTube if you wanted to...which is exactly what someone did, for the entire flight from Calgary to Toronto, ringing up nearly $50,000 in data charges over a four hour flight. There was quite a lot angry wrangling back and forth over that, but ultimately they ended up paying the cost in full on the threat of legal action, since it was written into our contract of carriage that the passengers were liable to cover such costs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Insert argument here about German beers copying it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lawn mower chat:

I'm nursing two 10-15 year old Honda mowers. One has a handle that broke in half at the thumb control location, and it's looking like a bitch to repair and maintain functionality. Instead of fixing that one, I bought the second one a couple years ago for next to nothing and replaced the transmission. For some reason, the original transmission had worn out the worm gear.

So, the second one has served me well for a couple years, but I'm losing drive and I'm betting it's the same worm gear worn out. I'm not replacing it again because it was an enormous pain in the rear end. Seriously, Honda must intentionally design those things to make sure people don't gently caress with them, because it is a jigsaw puzzle of nonsense.

With that... I'm looking for a mower. As we talked before, my lawn is too thick and large for a current generation electric, so I'm looking for something commercial. I'd like something larger than the 21" that I'm using now, but I've got so many landscaping beds and trees that I can't really use anything larger than 30" for any period of time (I used a 60" belly deck on dad's Kubota once, but that was just as a joke)... I really pay attention to mowing lines and patterns, so larger than 30" really doesn't work. Although, there's an older Snapper with a 12.5hp Kawasaki and 36" that I'm tempted to look at just because it'd be a beast and it's cheap...

On the sane front -- there are things like a Cub Cadet 30" walk behind, and Snapper and Toro have 22/23" commercial self-propelled mowers... are there any "Speed Queen" secrets of killer mowers that can be picked up on the used market that have more value than people realize? I'm looking for quality and reliability.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seminal Flu posted:

Lawn mower chat:

I'm nursing two 10-15 year old Honda mowers. One has a handle that broke in half at the thumb control location, and it's looking like a bitch to repair and maintain functionality. Instead of fixing that one, I bought the second one a couple years ago for next to nothing and replaced the transmission. For some reason, the original transmission had worn out the worm gear.

So, the second one has served me well for a couple years, but I'm losing drive and I'm betting it's the same worm gear worn out. I'm not replacing it again because it was an enormous pain in the rear end. Seriously, Honda must intentionally design those things to make sure people don't gently caress with them, because it is a jigsaw puzzle of nonsense.

With that... I'm looking for a mower. As we talked before, my lawn is too thick and large for a current generation electric, so I'm looking for something commercial. I'd like something larger than the 21" that I'm using now, but I've got so many landscaping beds and trees that I can't really use anything larger than 30" for any period of time (I used a 60" belly deck on dad's Kubota once, but that was just as a joke)... I really pay attention to mowing lines and patterns, so larger than 30" really doesn't work. Although, there's an older Snapper with a 12.5hp Kawasaki and 36" that I'm tempted to look at just because it'd be a beast and it's cheap...

On the sane front -- there are things like a Cub Cadet 30" walk behind, and Snapper and Toro have 22/23" commercial self-propelled mowers... are there any "Speed Queen" secrets of killer mowers that can be picked up on the used market that have more value than people realize? I'm looking for quality and reliability.

The wide cut mowers are almost universally junk.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Heavy-duty 30-inch walk-behind, you say? :getin:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Dagen H posted:

Heavy-duty 30-inch walk-behind, you say? :getin:

Bonus points if you find one with a sickle bar. Just in case you want to bale your lawn clippings.

In all seriousness I would look for a small belt driven walk behind, scag, toro, exmark metro, if you can swing it. Scag stripes the best if thats a concern.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

How does it mow? Gravely

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I mowed my yard with my Model L once, as I had exhausted all my other options, and even with the heavy brush blade it did an adequate job.

They do make an actual lawn-mowing setup for that mower, that consists of two crossed light-gauge blades.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 29, 2018

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

MrChips posted:

That's pretty impressive, but in terms of rate per unit of time I have a story that will beat it.

At my previous employer, we had a couple of aircraft equipped with high-speed satellite internet, basically so that if someone wanted to keep connected to the office they could. I mean it wasn't fast at all compared to terrestrial internet, something like 500kbps or so, but you could passably watch YouTube if you wanted to...which is exactly what someone did, for the entire flight from Calgary to Toronto, ringing up nearly $50,000 in data charges over a four hour flight. There was quite a lot angry wrangling back and forth over that, but ultimately they ended up paying the cost in full on the threat of legal action, since it was written into our contract of carriage that the passengers were liable to cover such costs.

They deserve everything they got for not capping that poo poo or taking the passengers payment details before letting them onto the internet.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Seriously, though, about lawnmowers: just pick up a used Snapper 28" rear-engine rider for like $500.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

As I've become known as 'Reel mower guy' in the neighborhood (because the dramatic hill in my lovely backyard is a shitload easier to cut with a little manual push mower than anything with an engine, and is too small to bother with anything self-propelled) people have started bringing me free reel mowers and I've got a proper collection now. There's no cost:durability ratio quite like free:adjust and sharpen once in a while and it'll outlast my fat rear end. YMMV though, I'm sure pimpin' meat buys a bigger backyard than mine :v:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 30, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
First, transmission. Then last week, the starter. Now tonight there's an occasional thump under the front end. I'm betting ball joints, but Lord only knows what's next.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
To conquer the hill in our yard, I got an AWD push mower from Sears for like $300

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i now have about 8 square feet of lawn to mow so i sold the mower (that i got for free) and kept the weed wacker

i was going to post a gif of homer mowing his lawn with one but i cant find it and now wonder if it really was in an episode or not

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Lawnmowers:
Our Honda walk behind from HD has lasted 10 years @ the beach. The deck is rusted through, it was flooded twice (lake flooded), and every fastener on it is rusted solid. It still starts first pull. But we're finally replacing it. I highly suggest looking at Toro. drat fine machines.

For our property I went for overkill: 27HP 13MPH 60" Cut

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. Sunroof decided not to close. It almost got there, then... nothing. No noises from the motor. Power is coming into and going out of the switch, and the lights dim noticeably when I try to use the switch.

The motor's sounded sluggish for awhile. No way to manually crank it closed either, at least not without pulling the headliner (or cutting a hole in it - there's what looks like a hole for a slotted crank on the geared end of the motor). It's done this a couple of times before, but a few firm fist thumps into the roof right over the motor always got it going again. Not happening this time. So I'm just gonna have to tape plastic over it until I can fix it (since we have rain in the forecast), or find one of those sideways screwdrivers to try and close it by hand before it rains this weekend.

No aftermarket motor available, only OEM. $130. :sigh: Guess I'll be hitting some junkyards tomorrow to see if I can find a motor.

Alternatively: clean the garage enough to get the Saturn in there out of the elements, and use GF's car for work. She can't drive for a week or two anyway (manual + she's on crutches for a couple more weeks), but I'm not on her insurance (and the delivery rider on my policy only covers the Saturn), so that's a big risk.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 30, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is why I will never buy a car with a sunroof if I can help it and never use it if I have to buy one. They also serve little purpose in my opinion, other than leaking and reducing headroom.

My buddy had a line on a 997 that was a really great deal but the sunroof had something wrong with it that could cause it to fail expensively (and leak). However, if he never opened the sunroof it would be fine. He didn't buy it, which just seemed dumb.

Even if you like sunroofs, no offense, but why the gently caress would you open it again after you had to fist bump the thing closed? Asking for trouble.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Couldn't be that hard to just tear the thing out and have the roof panel patched, could it? I mean, probably not a thing to do on a daily driver, but if I was restomodding something it wouldn't bug me too bad.

Speaking of which, I need to get the roof patched on my vic and the doors painted before winter. Tired of being given the side-eye for looking like a cop.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sunroofs are awesome for venting a hot car in summer heat and letting in fresh air without having it buffeting your face constantly.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sunroofs are great. You haters with solid roofs are just jealous that you don’t have them ;)

STR - after you plastic and tape it up put something rigid like a sheet of wood over the top too if you are expecting bad weather. It will protect your plastic a bit more and hopefully redirect enough rain off it to stop it pooling and risking a collapse.
I had an old Saab c900 turbo wreck and drove it for a few weeks with a broken sunroof. It fortunately had leather seats so you could just towel them off if it got wet.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tomarse posted:

Sunroofs are great. You haters with solid roofs are just jealous that you don’t have them ;)

My giant body that needs every mm of headroom as it is begs to differ, some cars the sunroof can make the difference between being able to sit like a human being and being hunched over with my neck at a painful angle the whole drive.

Also why the

gently caress

would I want to let more of that blazing Florida sun into my car, ever?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

nm posted:

This is why I will never buy a car with a sunroof if I can help it and never use it if I have to buy one. They also serve little purpose in my opinion, other than leaking and reducing headroom.

My buddy had a line on a 997 that was a really great deal but the sunroof had something wrong with it that could cause it to fail expensively (and leak). However, if he never opened the sunroof it would be fine. He didn't buy it, which just seemed dumb.

Even if you like sunroofs, no offense, but why the gently caress would you open it again after you had to fist bump the thing closed? Asking for trouble.

Proper sunroofs leak, as in factory fitted ones never attempt to outright seal, they have internal gutters and drain lines.
I've learnt so much about sun/moon roofs since getting my old e34. There's normally an access panel or simple clips on the 'roof' lining to slide back gain access to the motor and manually winding the motor. On mine I've taken the motor access panel of to wire a USB power source for my dashcam (instead of running a power lead from the dash to up the pillar and across the top/visors); and got access to the motor so I know I can do it again if needed for manual operation with a hex driver bit. Also slid the roof lining of the panel back to adjust the outside sheet metal panel height.

If STR got stuck with it open it means he was using it :D Probably hot where he is and IIRC the a/c is broken?
First car I've had with one anyway, and it wasn't even an option here to find a 5 series without them, they all seem to have them but I would prefer one without as well.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 30, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I just screenshotted this post and emailed it to myself for when the sunroof on the e36 inevitably does this over summer.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Enourmo posted:

My giant body that needs every mm of headroom as it is begs to differ, some cars the sunroof can make the difference between being able to sit like a human being and being hunched over with my neck at a painful angle the whole drive.

The glass roof in my car gives me a slight bit of extra headroom if i leave the sunblind across it open (which i usually do)

quote:

Also why the

gently caress

would I want to let more of that blazing Florida sun into my car, ever?
Fair point. Too much sun isnt a problem here!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I too hate glass roofs. They're only good for fart evacuation, honestly.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like mine? The bigger the better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
VW still can't make decent sunroofs so I'm glad I have a slicktop. Lighter curb weight too!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It gives the sun a clear shot past my sunglasses and I'll take AC over windows down/sunroof 99% of the time. It's rarely that perfect temp for it. Plus weight, headroom, etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Elmnt80 posted:

Sunroofs are awesome for venting a hot car in summer heat and letting in fresh air without having it buffeting your face constantly.

I have this thing called air conditioning, fresh air mode, and opening the rear windows as well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goober Peas posted:

I like mine? The bigger the better.

Yup. I need to take a pic of the sunroof in my BMW wagon. It's enormous. And awesome.

Edit: Wait, why not a youtube vid that's already posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJw7IBYnSk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dislike sunroofs but love convertibles.

PARADOXICAL

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I dislike sunroofs but love convertibles.

PARADOXICAL

Every normal human being is this way. Sunroofs are a compromise for people who refuse to believe in the supremacy of convertibles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Every normal human being is this way. Sunroofs are a compromise for people who refuse to believe in the supremacy of convertibles.

I have one of each though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
T-tops are the clear winner here

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My piece of poo poo former boss just sent me a vaguely threatening message that I need to stop badmouthing the store and trying to cost them business.

And I'm like, I just sent a dude to them who spent a shitload of money...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Living in the frozen northern wastelands, sun roofs are awesome because they really brighten up the interior and give a nice way to circulate out air, we don't get the same kind of hellish heat the south gets so it's definitely dependant on location. I've also never had issues with one but maybe I've just been lucky *knock on wood*

Convertibles are superior in every way except in winter, maybe hard tops are better but I wouldn't want to use a rag top in winter. I have my doubts in their ability to retain heat in the cabin and roof up on convertibles is usually a compromise and not being able to open it for a lot of the time would suck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What did you say and what was his message, exactly?

Jury is still out (for me at least) if you interpret things with 100x increased drama or if they're actually that way. Drama does include poo poo talk, which you seem to be accused of here, so again I think you're bringing this on yourself.

I do not envy your small town shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

T-tops are the clear winner here

I respectfully disagree.

If you can't drop your top at the lights, whilst wearing a smug grin, then you aren't getting the full benefit of going topless.

• Locked thread