Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Welcome to the 5th season of the ISO:FT Fantasy Football Beer League. The premise is simple: this is a fantasy league in which instead of league dues, you commit to sending out a box of beer worth over $50.00 curated from your local craft beer scene. Boxes should include growlers, bombers, and cans of beer that are not available outside of your geographical region, and that people might want to try. Because of this, we generally ask that you have some experience shipping beer.

Last year former commissioner Mikey Purp took home first place, garnering five boxes of beer. Zam and umop apisdn came up in 2nd and 3rd place, respectively.

This year I'll be taking over for Mikey Purp as commissioner, but don't fear- he's still playing and my commitment to fielding a team that sucks rear end has not wavered.

Here's some background:

- Last year's league settings, for reference:
http://games.espn.com/ffl/leaguesetup/settings?leagueId=1018860

- Your boxes are due out shortly after the league ends, with the target date being before February 2nd, 2018(Weather permitting, of course)

- Participants are required to post a Toxx

- Snake vs. Auction will be decided w/ a vote added to the Toxx, as will be any other rules we wanna nominate for change.

- This was the payout structure from last year(and I think largely what it's been in the past):

Winner- 5 Boxes of Beer
2nd Place- 3 Boxes of Beer
3rd Place- 2 Boxes of Beer
Highest Single Game Point Total- 1 Box of Beer
Winner of the Loser's Bracket- 1 Box of Beer

-Spaces are grandfathered in for the people who participated last year:

very stable genius, Catfish Noodlin, Retemnav, umop apisdn, dphi, Mikey Purp, Alfalfa,
veritek83, Baldrash , spacejung , Zam, and Avenged.

Last year we went with 12 teams, and that seemed to work.If you're interested and haven't participated before, please post and we'll see if we have any openings, keeping in mind that we're looking for people with beer trading history.

Once we have participants ironed out, I'll set up a poll to determine what time the draft will be.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
saved for future need

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I'm in! Looking forward to another year.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
heck yeah- even though I didn't get any beer it was surprisingly fun putting together a box to send across the country

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Wow, 5 years of being late on boxes already? I’m in again!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Unfortunately, I think I'm out this year.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Can’t wait to lose again!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

very stable genius posted:

Can’t wait to lose again!

What was your username last time around so I can check you off?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

What was your username last time around so I can check you off?

HatfulOfHollow

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
IN to defend my title. Thanks for taking care of commish duties, Catfish Noodlin!

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
In for a fourth year of this fantastic league. Maybe I can do better than losers’ bracket winner for once?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

OK, so I think I'm going to give everyone from last year a week or so to respond to my email(and/or PM) to see if grandfathered people want back in. We've got one spot open for sure, I sent Cervixalot a PM because I figure it was originally his league I'll give him a shot. After that I'll start recruiting to fill whatever other spots.

I'll set up a poll on Doodle to figure out when the draft is, but I figured I'll see if someone has any recommendations for the date range on it. I'm thinking August 27th(after week 4 in the preseason as most draftable players won't be in the final game) to September 5th(the day before the season opener). On weeknights, I'm thinking 8-10pm EST(which is probably the only time period that works for all time zones), w/ longer hours on Saturday and Sunday?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The doodle worked well before. Everyone can just mark when they’re available. It’s much easier that way.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
A doodle would be good. An 8-10 EST start time on a weeknight would be ideal.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Yup, agreed on the Doodle and that range of dates and times sounds perfect. I'll say upfront that I will be on vacation from the 30th through September 5th, so something in the earlier part of that week would be way easier for me to manage.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
In again

Looking forward to having all my stars die in first week or two again.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Back to defend weekly high score

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Nice, pretty good return. I'm going to give Retemnav and umop apisdn a couple of days but neither of them appear to have logged onto SA for a couple months so I'm not sure they'll be rejoining us.

I think it makes sense to reach out to people who have participated in the past to make it less likely we end up with some sort of welching scum, so unless anyone has a better idea I'll do that before posting in the GWS beer thread.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

If we decide to open it up to people outside of SA I know a few who may want to join.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Hey guys, doodle for your preferred draft times here: https://doodle.com/poll/7z7699ve5nduhkbz

Be aware times are in eastern time.

E: Was also thinking that it makes sense to add some mid-day time slots on Labor day weekend, but we'll see how the current options shake out first.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 7, 2018

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
If there are slots open, I'd be up for joining.

I've traded beer a bunch in the past here on SA, but haven't done a league like this in the past.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 9, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think it makes sense to reach out to people who have participated in the past to make it less likely we end up with some sort of welching scum, so unless anyone has a better idea I'll do that before posting in the GWS beer thread.

Past non-welcher, here. I’m interested, but only if it’s auction

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Paul Proteus posted:

If there are slots open, I'd be up for joining.

I've traded beer a bunch in the past here on SA, but haven't done a league like this in the past.

I'll send you an invite to the league then, kindly DM me an email address I can send it to.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Past non-welcher, here. I’m interested, but only if it’s auction

We traditionally vote once the league is full. Auction has won the last couple of years, but I'm not sure we can really promise you a spot contingent on auction winning.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Catfish Noodlin posted:

We traditionally vote once the league is full. Auction has won the last couple of years, but I'm not sure we can really promise you a spot contingent on auction winning.

Understood, thanks

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

What do we think about the ability to allow for gift cards to regional chains as an alternative/supplement to a shipped box? You lose some of the charm(and brewery exclusives), but you also make the league a little bit more accessible, and eliminate issues with shipping liquids in the middle of winter.

I'm thinking it would have to be $75 for gift cards rather than $50, as it's closer to the cost of the box + shipping it.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

What do we think about the ability to allow for gift cards to regional chains as an alternative/supplement to a shipped box? You lose some of the charm(and brewery exclusives), but you also make the league a little bit more accessible, and eliminate issues with shipping liquids in the middle of winter.

I'm thinking it would have to be $75 for gift cards rather than $50, as it's closer to the cost of the box + shipping it.

Not a fan. The stuff I got last year was so amazing that I saved some of the bottles just in case I ever drive through that part of the country.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Not on board with this. I enjoy the process of putting a box together.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Agreed, at that point it's just a regular fantasy league for cash. Giving/receiving a box of locals that a person may only get to try once is what the league is all about.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

If that's the *only* way we get a to a full league, ok, fine, but yeah, it's kind of missing the point.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I ask because we've got two spots and I've advertised in the beer and fantasy football thread and DM'd all the past participants I can think of.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm interested in this but with the caveats that I suck at FF and would have no clue how to do an auction draft, and also have never shipped beer before. Was waiting to see if anyone else took those last spots before piping up. :shobon:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 12, 2018

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I know I dont have much say, given I just joined, but I agree with the others. The beer exchange is much more interesting than cash, and why I joined.

I dont care if its auction or snake. Either are good for me.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm interested in this but with the caveats that I suck at FF and would have no clue how to do an auction draft, and also have never shipped beer before. Was waiting to see if anyone else took those last spots before piping up. :shobon:

So basically what happens in an auction draft is that you get a set amount of "money"(I think it's $200 in ours), and every turn instead of drafting a player you nominate a player to be bid on, and whoever ends up winning the bidding gets the player. We do the process via the ESPN website, where they generate a chat room with an auction function. I don't necessarily think it's any less accessible than a snake format, most people are still going off of a reference sheet that tells them what a good price for that player is and deviating from that one way or the other based on their beliefs/intuition/etc.

In terms of shipping beer, there's a guide in this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443315

I think if you've got a pretty good idea what the regionally available craft beers are near you and what people may want, you're in pretty good shape. The shipping part I don't think is that hard, especially if you can find one of the Styrofoam shippers that are in the pictures at the bottom of the above link. Expect to spend about $20 or so sending the thing out via mail, though, even if you pre-print a label and are uhhh optimistic about what the package actually weighs

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

If you still have a spot I'm down for this. I can provide a nice box of beer from California's central coast.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm a beer nerd but not to the extent that I know what the latest things are in my area, or what's popular now. That said, I live south of Boston and there are a crazy amount of good breweries around here. I'm sure I could put a box together that wouldn't disappoint.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

We can help with the particulars as far as how to pack and ship and cool breweries for your area. The main thing is committing to send a box and living up to the promise.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think we've got our twelve, then. All I needed to do is whine about not finding people and talk about changing the rules!

Quiet Feet and YamataNoOrochi, PM me your email addresses so I can invite you, then go to the Doodle that is linked in the thread and fill out the times that work for you, and then we can do Toxx clauses and vote for snake vs. auction.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Also, while we're at it are there any other elements of the league that we might want to discuss and vote on besides auction vs. snake? We've got like two weeks before even the first potential draft dates, so we can hash out whatever.

I've got a small one- I think that the "flex" position should be RB/WR/TE. As it stands now, it's only RB/WR. It adds a bit more flexibility and options when it comes to roster composition and churn, and it mirrors real football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Also, while we're at it are there any other elements of the league that we might want to discuss and vote on besides auction vs. snake? We've got like two weeks before even the first potential draft dates, so we can hash out whatever.

I've got a small one- I think that the "flex" position should be RB/WR/TE. As it stands now, it's only RB/WR. It adds a bit more flexibility and options when it comes to roster composition and churn, and it mirrors real football.

Agreed on including TE in the flex. I vote for auction over snake.