Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I’ve been thinking about this the last couple of days, and I believe the Rams signed Suh knowing that they were not going to pursue AD’s contract as hard as he wanted. I think they’re ready to move on without him due to his age (I know, he’s still young), which ties into length of contract wanted, and obviously, money.

I’m not a contract or cap hit guy, so I really can’t talk about any of that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if AD is not a Ram this year, or next, and Suh is signed to a longer contract.

Just my thought. Someone please explain to me why I’m right or wrong. I’m open to hear anything, as well as understand the whole cap hit/trade/no trade/signing thing.

What'ya got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1025951198115815424

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Complicated feelings. As a Seahawks person I am totally on board with Sherman torching the Seahawks, who have sold themselves down the river. Whether that will happen or not, Sherman got a good deal from the 49ers if he is no good anymore, which I also approve of because Sherman is cool. It will not be fun to watch if he sucks now though.

Yeah, Sherman is cool and he pisses people off because being a heel is his brand. He's incredibly intelligent so he probably has value from a scheme standpoint too. That being said, I don't fault the Seahawks for moving on, the injuries and departures meant the defense needed a rebuild. At best you're getting a great CB who is either at or past his ceiling for $11 million when you could be developing other guys, at worst you're dumping that money into a gimpy pissed off money pit.

I'm not a cap expect either but--

Suh seems a good deal more volatile than Donald, and is four years older. I don't see Suh as adding flexibility to the team long-term, if that makes sense. I think they're planning on having Donald back for a big Super Bowl push. Whether he signs or not or what money that will take seems to depend on his feelings more than anything.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 5, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, maybe we should mention sherman left practice after an issue with his achilles?

https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/1025460220108070912

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It is like a month from the regular season and I still do not have an opinion about the 49ers. They are a total blank slate.

It is probably residual doubt and pessimism.

:same:

I followed the niners through every tim rattay and alex smith year, but completely checked out like 8 games in last year. Oops.

Someone get me excited beyond the CB that I loved to hate and the rookie QB who might be good

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Leperflesh posted:

So, maybe we should mention sherman left practice after an issue with his achilles?

https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/1025460220108070912

We probably shouldn’t, because it’s “hamstring tightness” not his achilles.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Maybe that's what they call Achilles in other country slang, like windscreen or poofters

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I’ve been thinking about this the last couple of days, and I believe the Rams signed Suh knowing that they were not going to pursue AD’s contract as hard as he wanted. I think they’re ready to move on without him due to his age (I know, he’s still young), which ties into length of contract wanted, and obviously, money.

I’m not a contract or cap hit guy, so I really can’t talk about any of that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if AD is not a Ram this year, or next, and Suh is signed to a longer contract.

Just my thought. Someone please explain to me why I’m right or wrong. I’m open to hear anything, as well as understand the whole cap hit/trade/no trade/signing thing.

What'ya got?

I think they intended to use Suh as a one year stop gap at nose tackle until they could either develop a guy or find someone in next years draft. Allegedly they were really high on Vita Vea but it became apparent really quickly that they weren’t going to be in a position to draft him at 23 nor did they have the assets to move up and grab him.

I still think the AD contract will get resolved before the season. There’s two separate storylines going on with all the pundits on Twitter right now.

1. The Rams have offered a long-term deal worth 25 million a year and AD/his agent want something to beat Matt Ryan which was 30 million a year.

2. The Rams and AD are pretty much in agreement on a contract now but are holding off until camp is pretty much over to see if Mack signs first so they can beat that contract.

If it’s scenario 1 it’s hosed because even if the Rams have the cap space to that contract, which they do they can’t. There’s no way you can commit 15% of your salary cap to a DT and that narrows his trade market considerably because like maybe 2 teams would be stupid enough to make that contract.

The other wrinkle is if Donald doesn’t report to camp by Tuesday he loses a year of eligibility so he would be a RFA at the end of this season and this Rams would retain right of first refusal on him in addition they can still franchise tag him for a few years and eat that cap hit. So he really has no leverage to force a trade.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Senor Dog posted:

:same:

I followed the niners through every tim rattay and alex smith year, but completely checked out like 8 games in last year. Oops.

Someone get me excited beyond the CB that I loved to hate and the rookie QB who might be good

They have an actual WR corps this year:
Marquise Goodwin is one of the fastest human beings on the planet, and he's made huge strides in the past two years to become an actual NFL caliber WR. He almost hit 1000 yards last season with CJ Beathard throwing him the majority of "passes."
https://twitter.com/957thegame/status/1026165713151479809
Pierre Garcon is returning from injury.
Dante Pettis looks like a real honest to goodness thing.

Running backs:
They're all functionally capable of catching passes, unlike Carlos Hyde (still love you, Hyde).

Tight Ends:
George Kittle was the second best rookie TE last year, even while playing through injury and CJ Beathard.

Defense:
DeForest Buckner is really drat good.
Reuben Foster.
Witherspoon was excellent at CB towards the end of last year, and may have a breakout year.

This will be year two in the Kyle Shanahan offense, which is usually when they take off like a loving rocket, and there's a lot of talent entering their second year in the NFL, which is when they tend to see the most improvement. Fingers crossed.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ok I'm gonna blame "hamstring=achilles" on posting before morning coffee, ugh

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I forgot to mention Trent Taylor, who was the best WR in the NFL at the slant route last year, which every NFC West fan knows is a v important route.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Coldforge posted:

I forgot to mention Trent Taylor, who was the best WR in the NFL at the slant route last year, which every NFC West fan knows is a v important route.

How is he at endzone fades ?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Its Rinaldo posted:

How is he at endzone fades ?

Hard to tell. He’s up against Dick Sherman in practice, so he could be really good at it, but we’ll never know.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It is like a month from the regular season and I still do not have an opinion about the 49ers. They are a total blank slate.

It is probably residual doubt and pessimism.

If I were you I'd keep my expectations low and hope to be surprised. I feel like they're a better team than last year and I expect more wins. I don't see them going to the postseason, but it certainly is possible. At the end of the day, I believe in Kyle Shanahan and his value as a coach so I think the niners are on a definite upward trajectory.

One thing that's cool is I have a feeling the Seahawks - 49ers games are about to get a LOT more interesting and fun to watch.

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

What'ya got?

Definitely do not see it this way, especially because Suh is only on a one year deal. Whatever plan they might have with Donald, he doesn't tie into it.

I think the main factor is just the negotiation. For Donald, his play has earned him an enormous contract. For the Rams, giving out the largest defensive contract in the history of the NFL is a huge decision that could impact the franchise for years to come. Paying Aaron Donald what he's worth would affect every single contract after it. The question is how to meet in the middle, but the fact is that may not be possible. I'd like to see him get paid but I think he may be expecting a bit too much. Whatever happens, it'd be a goddamn tragedy for football if he's not on the field.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

that reminds me apparently the cards are going to help out their o line a lot more with chips and fullbacks. larry blocking and being a super tight end kept me alive last year but hopefully the team looks better as a whole this year with extra protection.

https://youtu.be/o9kJHUiTjtY?t=26

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I feel reasonably comfortable taking the over on 8.5 wins, but still feel like one and done wildcard is the upper bound of optimism.

I want to listen to coldforge and see all the upside, but I just can't shake the pessimism.

That said, there is a certain tension between "pessimism" and "reasonably comfortable taking the over on 8.5 wins."

In conclusion the san francisco 49ers are a land of contrasts.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I feel reasonably comfortable taking the over on 8.5 wins, but still feel like one and done wildcard is the upper bound of optimism.

I want to listen to coldforge and see all the upside, but I just can't shake the pessimism.

That said, there is a certain tension between "pessimism" and "reasonably comfortable taking the over on 8.5 wins."

In conclusion the san francisco 49ers are a land of contrasts.

I am firmly on the record as being a “who the hell knows” evaluator for this season. I see a lot of upside, and I expect the offense to do at least as well as last year (hard to be worse than Brian Hoyer and CJ Beathard for 11 games), but the defense is totally up in the air. Depends on a lot of things going right and coinciding.

I don’t think they make the playoffs; almost 100% certain they do not, given the state of the NFC. I do expect them to be the second best team in division; that doesn’t require them to be great this year. Floor of 6 wins, ceiling of 11.

IRT Dick Sherman’s hamstring: team said today it’s a grade 1 strain, so he’ll be sidelined for a bit and miss the first game for sure.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 5, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Coldforge posted:

We probably shouldn’t, because it’s “hamstring tightness” not his achilles.

It's not uncommon for athletes rehabbing a serious leg injury to aggravate a different part in the process, especially if they're not 100 percent from the original injury. This reminds me of when Victor Cruz made an aggressive comeback from a torn patellar, had a bunch of calf problems in camp because he over-exerted himself, and that was pretty much the end of his career.

So yeah, a guy just 9 months away from a torn Achilles now having a bad hamstring is concerning, and people would be foolish to think otherwise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nine months in is fairly early for an Achilles injury, is it not?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Isn't an achilles tear a long recovery on its own, like longer thn an ACL tear?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Benne posted:

It's not uncommon for athletes rehabbing a serious leg injury to aggravate a different part in the process, especially if they're not 100 percent from the original injury. This reminds me of when Victor Cruz made an aggressive comeback from a torn patellar, had a bunch of calf problems in camp because he over-exerted himself, and that was pretty much the end of his career.

So yeah, a guy just 9 months away from a torn Achilles now having a bad hamstring is concerning, and people would be foolish to think otherwise.

Absolutely, I know from my own injuries that this is true. It’s a grade one strain (which is nothing torn) however, so no, I don’t think It is actually cause for concern. Unless the concern is trolling, in which case eh, you could do better.

There were 3 or 4 players out with tight or strained hamstrings at the same time late last week. It’s part of camp.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

I think they intended to use Suh as a one year stop gap at nose tackle until they could either develop a guy or find someone in next years draft. Allegedly they were really high on Vita Vea but it became apparent really quickly that they weren’t going to be in a position to draft him at 23 nor did they have the assets to move up and grab him.

I still think the AD contract will get resolved before the season. There’s two separate storylines going on with all the pundits on Twitter right now.

1. The Rams have offered a long-term deal worth 25 million a year and AD/his agent want something to beat Matt Ryan which was 30 million a year.

2. The Rams and AD are pretty much in agreement on a contract now but are holding off until camp is pretty much over to see if Mack signs first so they can beat that contract.

If it’s scenario 1 it’s hosed because even if the Rams have the cap space to that contract, which they do they can’t. There’s no way you can commit 15% of your salary cap to a DT and that narrows his trade market considerably because like maybe 2 teams would be stupid enough to make that contract.

The other wrinkle is if Donald doesn’t report to camp by Tuesday he loses a year of eligibility so he would be a RFA at the end of this season and this Rams would retain right of first refusal on him in addition they can still franchise tag him for a few years and eat that cap hit. So he really has no leverage to force a trade.

I had no idea about what AD's agent wanted until I read your post. I have no idea how I missed that info prior. The numbers I read after I read your post were AD wanting 27 million and the Rams offering 21 million per over four years.

From what I've read today, AD signing for the lower amount seems like a possibility, although he won't be in Baltimore this week. We'll see how true any of that is.

I'm sure they're waiting for the Mack deal to be done before committing.

AD is arguably the best defensive player in the game today, but 25/27 million? C'mon. That's QB money. Maybe AD needs a better agent.

Play posted:

Paying Aaron Donald what he's worth would affect every single contract after it. The question is how to meet in the middle, but the fact is that may not be possible. I'd like to see him get paid but I think he may be expecting a bit too much. Whatever happens, it'd be a goddamn tragedy for football if he's not on the field.

You're correct on both parts. None of us here can fathom bartering a salary for millions of dollars, and deciding one amount is not worth it over another amount when you're talking in millions. But, that's the state of professional sports now.

Aaron Donald, please be a Ram? Please? :pray:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, then this: Rams are 'concerned' about Gerald Everett's, Matt Longacre's injuries

:ohdear:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

And Aaron Donald's argument would be that as the best defensive player in the league, his production, the way he effects games is worth getting paid QB money. It's kind of hard to argue with that, but he's going to have to go Case Keenum money rather than Matt Ryan money and the Rams might be able to get him paid under those circumstances. To me it sounds like his agent is doing a good job pushing for the best deal possible, but I think he stays a Ram either way because I don't think he's the kind of guy who likes to miss games.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I think he's likely to stay a Ram because, according to this thread and the Rams subreddit, LA is okay with giving AD a massive contract. They just don't want to give him a QB level contract, and I doubt any other team wants to do that either.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Play posted:

And Aaron Donald's argument would be that as the best defensive player in the league, his production, the way he effects games is worth getting paid QB money. It's kind of hard to argue with that, but he's going to have to go Case Keenum money rather than Matt Ryan money and the Rams might be able to get him paid under those circumstances. To me it sounds like his agent is doing a good job pushing for the best deal possible, but I think he stays a Ram either way because I don't think he's the kind of guy who likes to miss games.

I would prefer he gets out of the division honestly. (plz leave AD)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

drat that Gerald Everett injury is tough news. He was definitely planned as a large part of the offense, even with Tyler Higbee still there

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1026544110373462018

gently caress

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Oooooof. That's brutal. What the hell is with ACLs this year?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Oooooof. That's brutal. What the hell is with ACLs this year?

Someday every rookie coming into the league will have their knee ligaments replaced by artificial ones made of futuristic substances.

Luxury space football now

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

RIP Josh Rosen. I had such hopes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was listening to Sir Mix-A-Lot this morning and he talked about going to Seahawks games in the Kingdome and going to the bathrooms there. They still had the piss troughs and if you peed on them your pee would bounce back and splash on your jeans.

There's a metaphor for this season in there somewhere. I just need to see how it plays out.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/status/1026321998555828224

Penny will solve all the problems. Everything is awesome, playoffs ahead!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lol all that and we were still a non-poo poo field goal kicker away from playoffs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Coldforge posted:

Last year the Seahawks RB's had 1 rushing TD.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lol all that and we were still a non-poo poo field goal kicker away from playoffs.

Yeah, if anything it makes me more bullish on this season. If the run game improves at all there should be a giant jump forward in win-utility as a team.

Coldforge posted:

I don't get this dig. Penny is likely to be a good RB. So yeah, adding a good RB will help the historically-awful-omg-how-run-game.

Chris Carson, who was one of the good but then injured RBs of modern Seattle, is looking to be the starter. Penny has also looked good. And our line will be better.

I don't think it's insane to think the run game will be better when it was the second worst ever last year.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Seattle's awfulness last year was almost 100% line problems, and because it was the NFC West they almost limped into the playoffs. That's footbaw.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah, if anything it makes me more bullish on this season. If the run game improves at all there should be a giant jump forward in win-utility as a team.

I don't get this dig. Penny is likely to be a good RB. So yeah, adding a good RB will help the historically-awful-omg-how-run-game.

Chris Carson, who was one of the good but then injured RBs of modern Seattle, is looking to be the starter. Penny has also looked good. And our line will be better.

I don't think it's insane to think the run game will be better when it was the second worst ever last year.

They think it will be better (I mean, it kinda can't be worse), but they spend a lot of each section explaining what happened during the last season.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Me: lol at the non-existent Seattle people who are hailing Penny as savior for no real reason.

Also me: *drawing hearts on my Jimmy G Trapper Keeper cover*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's not; my understanding is that red zone running plays in particular are impacted far more by the o-line than the RB. It's a dig at people who think adding a first round RB will solve their issues.