Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
He has 45 probs for doing this, stop responding to the "hilarious" troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

504 posted:

He has 45 probs for doing this, stop responding to the "hilarious" troll.

He's been trying this for years and still never managed to become a GBS superstar.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I’m glad things seem to be going better with the new boss, OP. As intimidating as confronting people can be in a work environment I also believe being professionally direct (not “nice” mind you) can often engender respect. I hope you’re able to forge a positive work relationship with her going forward, especially given the work you all do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yet the mods allow him to keep doing it. Enabling his dumb gently caress behavior.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The ignore button is a wonderful thing.

OP glad things are working out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Things seem to be getting better and even if it gets worse I feel like I have options, so I'm not stressing too hard about it anymore. This whole thing has honestly made me reflect on my job a lot and how I might seek out a change of pace anyways, so if it comes to that it might even be a good thing.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 10, 2018

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

This whole thing has honestly made me reflect on my job a lot and how I might seek out a change of pace anyways, so if it comes to that it might even be a good thing.

I quit my job within about 3 weeks of someone telling me that my current work situation seemed to be making me depressed, job hunt and interviews included. Actually worked out quite well for me just getting that outside view and someone reminding me there's a whole world of other jobs with 90% less dickheads available.

I mean, my current job is way less difficult, pays way more, but the management two steps above me are as useless as chocolate kettles, so it all evens out in a positive way still.

Good luck, whatever decision you make. If I can provide any meaningful advice, it would be to at least bring this to the attention of others before you leave, either directly to management or via any HR processes in place (exit interviews or anonymous reporting of conduct). I had a full investigation performed during my 4 weeks notice period, and it seemed to have made quite a few people pull their heads in, and now they're on record/notice in case something similar is ever brought up again by other staff.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tony Montana posted:

I can see the bullshit in the OP's writing. There are large red flags. Firstly he doesn't say what he does, so that's always an indicator of someone that thinks they're a hell of a lot more than they are. Anyone that won't tell you openly, to your face what they do and instead skirt around it and talk a lot of poo poo like 'oh im so autonomous at work', yeah so is a fry cook at McDonalds. he is master of the fries, don't you worry about that. So we've got a little princess who is sure he's hot poo poo at his job but can't tell us what it is or what education he did to get it or his experience or loving anything actually real. It's all just pity party feelings, hey guys can you tell me that I'm good and worthy and right? No, I don't know you. Like at all. Who are you?

How about this, Tony Montana? How about YOU tell us what YOU do for a living? And how about YOU tell us what YOUR education is, and what YOUR experience is?

Oh wait... darn! You can’t, cuz some jerk mod already gave you a week in cat jail. That’s okay, I’m sure we can all wait 7 days for you to come back and tell us all the intimate details about your life. Maybe we can make it a mod challenge?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me.. YOU LITTLE BITCH?

I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but JUST ANOTHER TARGET. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life.

You’re loving dead, kid.

1)I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands
2)Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but
3)I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo

If ONLY you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving TONGUE. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn IDIOT. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. YOU’RE loving DEAD, KIDDO.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Hey thanks for responding to the painfully obvious troll, I was worried no one was going to and he would just gently caress off.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

504 posted:

Hey thanks for responding to the painfully obvious troll, I was worried no one was going to and he would just gently caress off.

Thanks for your painfully obvious admonition after he’s already gone.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

screamin and creamin posted:

Thanks for your painfully obvious admonition after he’s already gone.

Thanks for the painfully obvious follow up quip to the guy painfully admonishing the troll after he's already gone.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Jacobus Spades posted:

Thanks for the painfully obvious follow up quip to the guy painfully admonishing the troll after he's already gone.

Thank you and the rest of the world for all that is painfully obvious.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks guys this was a pretty good thread.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was certainly expecting it to be more mundane lol.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hey OP, I got something to say to you:

You sound like an ALRIGHT DUDE and I feel that you SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH INTIMIDATION AND HARASSMENT IN THE WORKPLACE. I'm glad to hear your new boss has chilled out a bit, I think it's RATHER HEALTHY OF YOU to want to try and resolve this amicably.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This thread should be goldmined

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Update. New boss did not chill out. I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I'll try to type out the insanity tomorrow. I got another job though. gently caress that place. I'm not one to not fulfill a 2 week notice, but I'm highly tempted to never return.

Also I was wrong I do hate this woman more than Tony Montana.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 19, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

veni veni veni posted:

Update. New boss did not chill out. I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I'll try to type out the insanity tomorrow. I got another job though. gently caress that place. I'm not one to not fulfill a 2 week notice, but I'm highly tempted to never return.

Most people understand that you need to eat a heavy, fibrous meal before taking a dump in someone's desk drawer, but the novice will often overdo the fibre and not understand that you need to perform the action swiftly.

A pro will drink a pint of Guiness beforehand to ensure sufficient lubrication for a fast process.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Also I was wrong I do hate this woman more than Tony Montana.

Some new bosses like to assert their authority by making someone's life a misery and then firing them after accumulating 'evidence' of insubordination/underperformance. I've experienced what you're going through myself, but luckily our workplace is pretty heavily unionised so I would refuse any meeting requests with my idiot boss unless a union rep was present.

I got shifted to another team, performance improved dramatically and have recently been promoted with a p.hefty pay rise. It's clear at the company who the problem was in my case, and said manager has since moved to a different department to gently caress things up for someone else. Not before she fired some other poor fucker from her team though, as well as inducing large staff turnover. Morale was incredibly low.

If movement within the company is not possible for you, then you're doing the right thing by leaving. If your new employer won't bat an eyelid about you not working your notice period, then I would just leave your old place without saying a word.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dog Pipes posted:

Not before she fired some other poor fucker from her team though, as well as inducing large staff turnover. Morale was incredibly low.

Yeah it's crazy there right now. Everyone seems miserable. Usually at the very end of the day everyone is chatting and in a good mood. When I left at the end of the week you could hear a pin drop. I looked around the room and everyone looked awful. Right before the weekend! I've never seen everyone so unhappy in this place.

Basically what happened is I was called in to her office on Monday, berated for over an hour, and demoted with "the opportunity to earn my job back". Basically everything I was criticized for was either massively misrepresented, or an outright lie. that was about 75% of it. The rest were things that we had discussed and I was actively working on, although she refused to acknowledge that even though I had proof.

She had been documenting virtually everything I had said to her over the past few weeks and changing them to fit her narrative (for example, I had said that "despite working harder than I have ever had to, I was getting less done because my workflow was so messed up due to constantly being micromanaged, and not being given time to actually finish a task" in the meeting this turned into "this job used to be so easy and and now it's hard" she had also asked me to have something done that cost quite a bit, it probably wasn't a good idea but I did it because she asked me to. In the meeting she denied being the one to request it and said "I can't believe you would have this done without even consulting me. This cost the company a lot of money" It was straight up her that requested it. I just sent the email out, nothing more. There were dozens of thing like this and every time I attempted to defend myself I was met with head shaking and denial.

She had used all this to convince her boss (who I've never had issues with previously. And she doesn't work out of our location and has no idea how things work there even though she thinks she does) all of this bullshit was true. She just believed everything this woman said and sat there shaking her head with her while I got a total character assassination pulled on me. Then she ransacked my office and locked me out of it. I'm sure she's actually planning on letting me earn my job back lol.

I dunno. Whatever, I got a new job and this one is dead to me. I start in a week. I really don't know what to do for the next week. I don't want to just peace out on a job. I'm not going to be able to do a full two weeks anyways (already told them I am quitting last week. Just not officially) and I don't know if I can go back to such a toxic place for a single day. Plus it's just horrid there anyways as we have lost over 1/3rd of the staff since she started and we were already short to begin with so everyone is basically doing a double load. The only reason I'm even thinking about going back for the week is for the staff that used to work under me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 19, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also, it's honestly really helped me out throughout this whole thing to see that I'm not the only one who has been through this. Everything all of you have said has been really comforting (well except that one guy lol) I really don't get the mindset of people like my boss, but I guess this woman isn't the only one out there.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Kinda blatant sociopath boss vibes here honestly. I imagine her boss thinks she’s sweetness and perfect (since she’s a great manipulator) but you’re just the first underling whose life she’s going to try to wreck. So don’t think of it as losing your job so much as beating the rush out. Do save whatever you documented in case they try to badmouth you to your new employer; probably won’t bother now that you’re out but if so you may need the legal threat in reserve.

Edit: I would quite seriously say to hell with going in even for a week, she will just find some way to try to cause you more trouble I bet. Professional does not mean punching bag for amusement.

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 19, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MadDogMike posted:

Edit: I would quite seriously say to hell with going in even for a week, she will just find some way to try to cause you more trouble I bet. Professional does not mean punching bag for amusement.

Yeah. I even called my dad, who is the most straight laced guy I know to get his opinion and he thinks I shouldn't bother going back. Which was really surprising to me. I just don't want to be the guy that just ducks out, but I don't know if professional courtesy is worth continuing what has felt like honest to god mental torture for another week.

I'm definitely kind of concerned she'd poo poo talk me to my new job, but afaik that's actually illegal in my state anyways and I've already got it so that's probably just paranoia on my part. I don't know why they'd even bother to call her now that they've already offered it to me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Never, ever, ever accept a demotion. The only proper response to "we're demoting you" is "gently caress you, I refuse." Make them fire you if that's what they've made their mind up to do. They're trying to make you quit and take them off the hook for unemployment comp/severance.

If they've lowered your salary, in most states you can and should file for unemployment comp for the difference.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Hope your new job is cool!

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

Never, ever, ever accept a demotion. The only proper response to "we're demoting you" is "gently caress you, I refuse." Make them fire you if that's what they've made their mind up to do. They're trying to make you quit and take them off the hook for unemployment comp/severance.

If they've lowered your salary, in most states you can and should file for unemployment comp for the difference.

It's a good point. I'm in the UK, and it seems like a potential case of constructive dismissal.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MadDogMike posted:

Kinda blatant sociopath boss vibes here honestly. I imagine her boss thinks she’s sweetness and perfect (since she’s a great manipulator) but you’re just the first underling whose life she’s going to try to wreck.

Yup. This is 100% what my wife's ex boss was like; she bounced from department to department destroying everything she touched, but she could suck up like none other so everyone senior to her loved her... right up until she'd been in their department for about 3 months, at which point they started plotting how they could foist her off on someone else before she could do too much damage.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

The only reason I'm even thinking about going back for the week is for the staff that used to work under me.

Make sure they know that you'll be a reference for them if needed. Your relationship with them would determine how you broach that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

fist4jesus posted:

Make sure they know that you'll be a reference for them if needed. Your relationship with them would determine how you broach that.

I’d literally walk in and do a quick one on one saying I’d gladly be a reference, walk into the new bosses office, chuck em my badge and moonwalk out the door. Two weeks is a professional courtesy that has to be earned through mutual respect.

Take your extra week or whatever to go fishing.

Granted when I was pulled Into the idiot meeting you got yanked into I’d have gone on the offensive and made sure that it was known that the reason things were going poorly was because of my lovely new manager.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 29, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess I haven't updated this in a while. I went in last Monday, told her I couldn't work in the hostile environment she created and that I'd be resigning effective immediately. It sucked I didn't get to say bye to more than a few people but I just wanted to get the gently caress out of there and never look back at that point. I went to HR and attempted to detail the harassment and lies, there was so much I couldn't even get to all of it. HR guy told me he'd take it seriously, but I know that isn't probably true. I told him "this probably seems like I'm just being salty, but I'm not mad I just hope this meeting gives you all some pause the next time this inevitably happens. And I think you are going to lose a good chunk of the staff because of her attitude because morale is horrible right now" I took the week off and just chilled and painted and played video games.

Started my new job on Monday. I really like it so far. Much lower stress. Slightly better pay. Really like the people I'm working with so far. Anxiety is gone and I'm feeling normal again.

I look forward to it dawning on my old boss just how much I did there and how much harder her job is going to be without me, even if I'll never get to witness it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 30, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

veni veni veni posted:

I guess I haven't updated this in a while. I went in last Monday, told her I couldn't work in the hostile environment she created and that I'd be resigning effective immediately. It sucked I didn't get to say bye to more than a few people but I just wanted to get the gently caress out of there and never look back at that point. I went to HR and attempted to detail the harassment and lies, there was so much I couldn't even get to all of it. HR guy told me he'd take it seriously, but I know that isn't probably true. I told him "this probably seems like I'm just being salty, but I'm not mad I just hope this meeting gives you all some pause the next time this inevitably happens. And I think you are going to lose a good chunk of the staff because of her attitude because morale is horrible right now" I took the week off and just chilled and painted and played video games.

Started my new job on Monday. I really like it so far. Much lower stress. Slightly better pay. Really like the people I'm working with so far. Anxiety is gone and I'm feeling normal again.

I look forward to it dawning on my old boss just how much I did there and how much harder her job is going to be without me, even if I'll never get to witness it.

If they notice more than one person doing this -- especially if they aren't easily replaced -- you better believe HR takes this poo poo seriously. HR is in charge of making sure the "human resources" don't wander off and tell the company to gently caress itself, and if some poo poo manager is making that task difficult, they will most likely deal with it.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

PT6A posted:

If they notice more than one person doing this -- especially if they aren't easily replaced -- you better believe HR takes this poo poo seriously. HR is in charge of making sure the "human resources" don't wander off and tell the company to gently caress itself, and if some poo poo manager is making that task difficult, they will most likely deal with it.

This will make me sound stupid, but there is a reason Michael Scott hates Toby the HR guy on 'The Office'. Because Toby calls him on his poo poo. At the very least the HR person will have filed the information away and the next time there is an issue it might not seem so one sided to the higher ups. Managers get performance development as well.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

PT6A posted:

Depends on the company, I've been through the exact same situation, 8 people quit because of a bad manager. They all told HR, I told HR. That person still works there 1 year later. HR doesn't care until there's a lawsuit involved.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If a manifestly awful manager has been around for years, approximately 100% of the time it means they are very well connected and protected.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha great thread, I have had a bad manager for a long time too and it loving sucks. Looking for a new job.

I Demand Food
Nov 18, 2002

jizzpowered posted:

Depends on the company, I've been through the exact same situation, 8 people quit because of a bad manager. They all told HR, I told HR. That person still works there 1 year later. HR doesn't care until there's a lawsuit involved.

When I worked retail at a nationwide electronics chain, a district manager got demoted and became our new GM. He was a power-tripping, bipolar cokehead and our store began to hemorrhage good employees within days. I was getting promoted to another location in the same district and the previous GM had signed off on it, but this guy held it up because "I don't do anything because I have to do it, I only do things because they're what I want to do". HR did not care about the employees leaving or the complaints they were getting. He eventually stopped holding up my transfer but made it clear that I was only leaving because it was what he wanted to do.

HR didn't care when he broke policy by forcing customers who were buying XBOX 360's at launch to buy at least two games or accessories and refusing sales to people who had stood outside all night who just wanted a console only. Those people were justifiably upset and called corporate. Every store in the district got a training, but he kept his job.

HR didn't care when he ripped off customers by offering a "package" on a TV, stand, home theater in a box, warranty, and cabling that actually cost more than buying the individual items separately. An assistant manager got fired and every store in the district got a training, but he kept his job.

HR only cared when a reservist who worked there got called up and the GM called his post pretending to be a doctor saying that he can't leave due to a medical condition, which fell apart the moment someone at the Army Reserve called the reservist and heard "Bipolar Cokehead isn't my doctor, he's my manager at work". A Federal investigation resulting in criminal charges ensued and that's the only reason the GM was actually let go.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

jizzpowered posted:

Where I work it was similar. The caring HR keeping a eye on things behind the scenes is a nice fantasy at many places.

I Demand Food
Nov 18, 2002

fist4jesus posted:

Where I work it was similar. The caring HR keeping a eye on things behind the scenes is a nice fantasy at many places.

HR is first and foremost there to protect the company's interests, not those of the employees.

If HR does something that means the company not getting fined or sued also happens to better the lives of the employees in some way, that's just the cherry on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

I Demand Food posted:

HR is first and foremost there to protect the company's interests, not those of the employees.

If HR does something that means the company not getting fined or sued also happens to better the lives of the employees in some way, that's just the cherry on top.

Yup. Tell it to this guy. Could be though that he has somehow only worked for unicorn companies where HR gives a gently caress.
If so, good for him, I've not come across one though in my working life.

PT6A posted: