Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyLord
Jan 21, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry if this is kind of E/N

I've been at my job for a couple of years. It's nothing to brag about, but I've always enjoyed it and have had no intention of going anywhere until this last week. I believe I do a good job. I am very knowledgeable and work hard. I've already been through 2 bosses since I started, and never had a single issue with either one. It's a largely autonomous job and I've always been able to make my own decisions and prioritize what I see fit. I've never had a single complaint to my knowledge.

Then last week I got a new boss. She's an outside hire barely has any idea what she is doing, but you wouldn't know it by the way she acts. My first interaction with her (after my old boss set her free) was like, bad. I just made a decision I'd normally make on any given day. I even ran it by her, she agreed and then I went and did it I got scolded because "I am the final say in this. You should not have done that on your own" I was just baffled, because I did run it by her, even though frankly I wouldn't have even had to last week or with my old boss. This is within the first 10 minutes of her first day. I was hoping she was just flustered because it was her first day so I let it slide, but it hasn't gotten better. Everything I do I need to justify to her or ask if it's ok, even if it's just total common sense. She just changes things she doesn't even fully understand (or makes me change things without asking for my input is more like it) and talks to me like a child.

I also feel like it's sort of a self fulfilling prophecy, because despite working harder than I ever have. I feel like I'm loving up more because I have all of the new found stress, I'm questioning my own decisions, and my whole work flow is hosed up because I'm trying to prioritize the things she has deemed important and doing things all out of whack.

The thing is, I don't want to lose or leave my job that I've enjoyed for years over some micromanager that barely has a week under her belt. But I can't work in this environment either. I feel like I'm probably going to have to talk to her about it. But I don't even know how to approach the situation. I've had bosses like her before, but they were at entry level jobs I hated and I just quit. I really hope I can find some way to tactfully deal with it, but maybe I'm being too optimistic and it's just time to start job hunting.

Anybody out there actually successfully dealt with something like this? I really don't know what to do. I haven't been so stressed out in years.

Dam! you hosed. i don't know what to tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU