Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Dog Pipes posted:

It's a good point. I'm in the UK, and it seems like a potential case of constructive dismissal.

Hmm, i'd not heard of constructive dismissal before. That's an interesting one as i'm in a very simialr situation to the one the OP was in.

I've been at a company for about 9 years now and last summer i was promoted to the top of my department. This is 1 level below the CEO (my boss) of a mid sized company of about 100 people. At the same time i was promoted, a new manager was hired from a bigger company to come in and operate at the same level but overseeing another department.

Within this last year we and another at our level, shared company objectives, but i spotted quite quickly that this individual wouldn't include me in meetings for the 3 of us to discuss our mutual projects (the 3rd party is one of those very agreeable types). This person also didn't like when i critically challenged decisions they made that impacted my dept without consulting me. Even after confronting them about the exclusion (in front of HR), nothing changed and our mutual line manager told me i wasn't being included because i wasn't being collaborative as i worked on my own on projects and was challenging when working with this individual.

Prior to Christmas my manager raised "just an idea" to me about this person and their team taking on the management and operational responsibilities of my department while i retained all of the strategy/development/growth parts of it. I wasn't keen and made this obvious, but this 'idea' was pretty much a pre-made decison of his and my role was changed. This was to include a 3 month period of transtion, where i would be hands on picking up the work of my dept that this other team wasn't capable to do whilst i worked on the dept strategic stuff. Not only that, but this person was given 'temporary' powers equal to that of my boss and i was removed from both the group meetings and mutual objectives that everyone at my level attended. I was allowed to stay in the senior communications chain though so that i was aware of what was happening in the company.

During this time i've had to, fairly obviously, spend almost all of my time doing junior level work and picking up tasks that were taken away from my responsibility. Simultaneously, this new manager has continuted to cut me out of things that stilll fall into my remit or consideration. As a result, it's impacted my ability to do the other senior tasks i have as my job remit.

His solution? I've to just let this manager decide what my priorites are and what i've to focus on. Which has resulted in the majority of my time being put on less important tasks while i'm cut out of the loop of bigger decision making items. Someone (not my boss) has also disconnected me from the senior communication chain. I can easilly find out who, but the only person in the group who would care to is this manager.

A recent chat to a colleage revealed that my boss told him, my 'transition period' will continue for a further 3 months and that at that point I will be changing departments completely. A new task i was given, which was supposed to be just ~10% of my role, will baloon up to almost all of it, whist the the department strategies/development aspect of my former role will be removed and given to this other manager and i've to be 'on hand' to continue the type of support i've been giving during this transition period.

None of this has been discussed with me, this new task is only loosely related to my field of specialsm and will impact my future career if an entire role is 'made up' around it.

During this time, i've raised the pattern of exclusion, the cutting off of the comms and feelings of ostracism caused by this, but my boss just keeps telling me not to sweat the small stuff and that i don't need the same info i used to have in order to do this new task he's given me.

From a top level perspective does the above chain of events sound like something that fits within grounds for constructive dismissal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

joebuddah posted:

Its sounds like, in my opinion that they are trying to phase you out. It happened to my boss when I was interning at a radio station. They went from xyz manager to "cluster task manager " to being fired. (No I wasn't who replaced them)

Yeah, this is pretty much happening. In a catchup today my obvious unhappiness was raised and I stated that I had no interest in my role being further changed as it would be like starting a brand new career.

He was nice about the way he said it but the message to me was that there's no place for me in the company now if I don't want that 2nd version of the new role.

He's also the sort who never goes back on a decision he's made, and just told me that being in a leadership position was off the table at this company and whatever issues I flagged didn't change that.