Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Welcome to the NFC East, home of clownball. Here you will find the most Superbowl wins, the only division with a Superbowl win per franchise, the most prime time games every season, and the most recent Superbowl Champions, The Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles are a team poised to make another deep playoff run as they've lost very little in terms of talent. Where they lost Torrey Smith, they gained Mike Wallace. Beau Allen? Ngata and Bennett will take his place. They are also one of the more durable teams as they have impressive depth at QB, OL, WR, and DL. All eyes are upon young Carson Wentz as he comes back early from an ACL tear and notably did NOT lead his team to its first ever Superbowl win. Can a team with lofty goals of hoisting another Lombardi even repeat in this tumultuous division?

The Giants are coming off of one of their worst seasons of all time. The reasons? Injuries like they always have, an absolutely dreadful offensive line, a young star of the NFL having a tantrum and an injury, a coach that managed to look dumber than the QB he benched. This was not truly a 3-13 team and they've only gotten stronger. Eli still gonna Eli but unless Beckham doesn't play, with the offensive line improved and a true bellcow RB, this is a team with an offense that can move the ball. I can't speak to their defense as last year it was statistically terrible after having a pretty good season in 2016. And hey, they signed Connor Barwin and that guy rules. Don't sleep on this group.

The Cowboys are looking like a team moving in the wrong direction. Demarcus Lawrence was retained but Dez Bryant and Jason Witten took a hike. They have been replaced by Allen Hurns and a thing called Geoff Swaim. The offensive line, after years of absolute dominance, was only really good in 2017 (we'll see about this Connor Williams fellow). Dak had a return to earth and it seems Jerruh has not deemed it fit to give him the weapons he needs to bounce back. Zeke is still going to churn this offense along with the OL and the defense actually has some nice pieces and finally got some depth for Sean Lee, The Ever Broken. The Jones Curse will bring this team to 8-8 despite all of these things.

The Redskins managed to escape their extreme foot shooting with Kirk Cousins by signing another pretty good QB in Alex Smith. The WRs on this team might not scare you but keep an eye out for Jordan Reed (because if you blink he'll be carted off when your eye opens) and Derrius Guice, a RB that looks to be a serious upgrade to the offensive machine to offset the slight downgrade at QB. The defense tends to be pretty good outside of the secondary with the likes of Ryan Kerrigan and newcomer Payne to make your quarterback uncomfortable. Looking around the NFL I would definitely count this group among the more mediocre but there's enough here to see anywhere between 6 and 10 wins. Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't say gently caress YOU DAN SNYDER.

Spread your wings, loom large, lasso some wins, and change your hilariously offensive team names! It's 2018 NFL bitches!

axeil posted:

Reminder that the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the New England Patriots and Tom Brady with a backup QB and that Tom Brady open mouth kisses his own children.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Eagles kicking off the season against the Falcons is going to be awesome.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Reminder that the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the New England Patriots and Tom Brady with a backup QB and that Tom Brady open mouth kisses his own children.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
dallas sucks

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

quote:

- scene -
Donald Trump sits in his office high atop Trump tower. The desk before him is covered in a mess of papers and knickknacks. In a small clearing among the mess is a single plate containing the remnants of a meal he just finished consuming - well done steak, with ketchup. Fatty remnants and charred bits dot the plate. A bead of sweat drips from Donald’s brow. His breathing is labored and accented with strained grunts and wheezing. After a moment he closes his eyes as his whole body shudders. Donald takes a sip of Diet Coke and leans back in his chair slightly.

The camera pans and we can see something beneath Donald’s desk. After a moment we can see a disheveled figure.

We zoom in on Donald’s wrinkled wiener dropping from the mouth of an exuberant Jerry Jones. He wipes a drip of yellowish-orange semen from his mouth and turns to the camera.

“This is the only kind of kneeling I’ll allow.”

- end scene -

Not gonna let this go to waste in the 2017 thread.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Eagles kicking off the season against the Falcons is going to be awesome.

Yeah, though I feel like it'll lead to an 0-1 start. I've got this lingering fear that a team with an offense like that studied the superbowl tape on us and will shred our D. I'd like for it to just be Tom Brady that could do that, but I'm not so sure...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Redskins are definitely in the position of being milquetoast spoilers. I expect them to do well enough to be mediocre and moderately entertaining. If they can beat up on Dallas twice and split with the rest of the division I wouldn't complain.

Warren Sharpe has Washington with a brutal schedule this year. Obviously the NFC East is a big part of it, but the out of conference games look brutal as well. If they can keep their line healthy and put together an offense they might keep up, but I won't be surprised if they don't.

Where I am surprised is how optimistic I feel about Smith. Losing Cousins was rough; it sucks that talent Washington developed is going elsewhere, but reading the reports on Smith this training camp has been encouraging. Things like his leadership and interaction with the players. It's not much more than training camp hype but it's nice.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Good to be getting back into the swing of things.

This is Donnel Pumphrey's breakthrough year, I feel it in my bones.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Alt thread title: Dak refuses to break anthem policy, 4000 yards passing

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 1, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
im here to confirm that dallas indeed sucks

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles gonna hang those hungry dog nuts on the division

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Dallas Cowboys suck.

Dallas Goedert looks like a future star.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Today I’m wearing my Eagles underdog shirt in anticipation of the new season. A lot of people have commented on my “cute dog shirt.”

It is a cute dog tyvm.

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

Redskins fan checking in, can't wait to see them disappoint in new and exciting ways. Also:

Diqnol posted:

gently caress YOU DAN SNYDER

Now and forever, Amen.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I feel like the Redskins are the second best team in the East, and will quietly win 8 or 9 games as the Cowboys and Giants self-immolate

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The Giants are going to pull a division title out of their rear end and flame out in the wildcard or divisional.

It's the most NFC East thing that could happen.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I do love listening to bitter fans glom onto anything negative about Cousins. it's hilariously immature.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NotWearingPants posted:

I feel like the Redskins are the second best team in the East, and will quietly win 8 or 9 games as the Cowboys and Giants self-immolate

While i do think the giants and cowboys will be rear end this year, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Washington is going to be 7-9 and tied for 2nd with both the giants and cowboys.

Also i bought one of the caucasians shirts in washington colors.

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

LethalGeek posted:

I do love listening to bitter fans glom onto anything negative about Cousins. it's hilariously immature.

We did that dude wrong. He's not a top 5 QB, but I'm glad he got a real contract.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Captain Dickweed posted:

We did that dude wrong. He's not a top 5 QB, but I'm glad he got a real contract.

Yeah, Cousins got really screwed by being paid $44 million for playing football over the last 2 years.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Cash Monet posted:

The Giants are going to pull a division title out of their rear end and flame out in the wildcard or divisional.

It's the most NFC East thing that could happen.

while beating Tom im the SB

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles offense is completely loving stacked.

If you made an all-star team of the best Eagles offensive players of the last 25 years, it would basically be their current offense plus Brian Westbrook. (and maybe Terrell Owens if you're a masochist)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Oh how quickly they abandon McNabb.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, Cousins got really screwed by being paid $44 million for playing football over the last 2 years.

It's true. Washington screwed themselves. Actually they screwed over most of the league by allowing a free agent QB to define the true value of the position through the free market.

Bruce Allen is a loving idiot.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How is Alex Smith an improvement

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

McNabb was great but I think Wentz will be better.

Comparing the first two years of each player, Wentz leads in every passing stat. McNabb has an edge in rushing but that comes down to different styles of play. And he difference there doesn’t make up for the passing advantages Wentz brings to the table. The stats are telling.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

What happened to Ricky Gervais that everyone hates him? I feel like I missed a secret memo.

Did you suffer a brain hemorrhage that left you unable to make new memories after 2004?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

We don't have to hear about how stupid Washington's front office is in regards to Cousins any longer!

Oh if you mean as a football player the overwhelming opinion has been "they're about the same"

Nov 6, 2002

very stable genius posted:

Comparing the first two years of each player, Wentz leads in every passing stat. McNabb has an edge in rushing but that comes down to different styles of play. And he difference there doesn’t make up for the passing advantages Wentz brings to the table. The stats are telling.

It is not very telling because by the time McNabb's career was winding down we had entered a new era of passing.

I'm not a giant McNabb fan, but to annoint Wentz better is pretty premature.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

very stable genius posted:

Wentz has a better team and is a passing QB a passing league. They're completely different, and it's a bit premature to compare his brief stint in the NFL to McNabb's entire career. You trying to crown him already?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DaStampede posted:

You trying to crown him already?

He was crowned 2 seasons ago during his rookie year and he hasn't stopped backing it up since.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Wentz's ceiling is probably higher than McNabb's ever was, but McNabb ended up coming within a stone's throw of a Hall of Fame career and Wentz has played all of a season and a half. I hope the guy's dunking on the NFCE for the next sixteen years, but it's silly to put him above McNabb just yet.

Nov 6, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

He was crowned 2 seasons ago during his rookie year and he hasn't stopped backing it up since.

So he was crowned in the season where he ranked in the bottom half of the league in every meaningful stat?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Wentz is very likely to be a great QB so long as he doesn’t gently caress his body up. Unlike Dak “phony” Prescott, his trajectory is upward and believing him to be better than McNabb is merely optimistic homerism which is not wholly undeserved. That a Tom Brady disciple comes to shut down that childish glee is telling.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
eagles got lucky and are a fluke

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pictured: The Philadelphia Eagles

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

So he was crowned in the season where he ranked in the bottom half of the league in every meaningful stat?

Yes. He had an incredible rookie season despite throwing to a stable of receivers as bad or worse than anything McNabb ever had to deal with. He then followed that up with a season where he was a leading MVP candidate before he got hurt.

At 25, he's the best QB in the league under 32 years old.

But hey, if you want to play the role of a Carson Wentz contrarian, go for it. We'll see how that works out for you.

Nov 6, 2002

Oh I forgot, you always hated McNabb, so this is pointless.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

eagles got lucky and are a fluke

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the mad my team is horribly mismanageds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Captain Dickweed posted:

Redskins fan checking in, can't wait to see them disappoint in new and exciting ways. Also:

Now and forever, Amen.

It's going to be injuries. It's always injuries.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The one thing about Cousins is that he always felt like he was finding his way, had to settle in, get comfortable, etc. He didn't seem to start the season ready to go and in command.Maybe a bunch of that is the team around him, maybe having a veteran QB who comes in and says I know my poo poo I'm not playing for a contract will work better. I dunno. Smith kind of strikes me as a similar type of QB anyways, just more seasoned for better or worse. So, eh. I know poo poo about football ultimately I guess, I just like to be interested at the start of the season until a million guys get injured and all hopes are dashed

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 2, 2018