Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Oh I forgot, you always hated McNabb, so this is pointless.

Oh I forgot, the Eagles backup QB beat your boy (who can't catch and kisses his son on the mouth) in the Super Bowl, so this is pointless.

It's no criticism of Donovan McNabb to say Carson Wentz is better, just like it is not a criticism of Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan to say that Jason Peters and Lane Johnson are better. The point here is that the talent on the Eagles offense is loving stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Carson Wentz has played one unremarkable rookie season. He has played 3/4's of one stellar season, in which he also suffered a serious injury. He needs to demonstrate...

A. He has fully recovered from his injury. I think this is pretty much a given.
B. The 13 games were not a fluke. I think this is also very likely, but not a guarantee by any means.

Until he does those things it's premature to say he's the best, most accomplished quarterback the Eagles have had. He hasn't even played in a playoff game, there's no way you can rightly call him the greatest.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 2, 2018

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

Levitate posted:

It's going to be injuries. It's always injuries.

Always, I'm just waiting for Jordan Reed to hit IR by Week 4. That, and as mentioned above, Bruce Allen being a loving moron.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Captain Dickweed posted:

Always, I'm just waiting for Jordan Reed to hit IR by Week 4.

how optimistic of you

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
The demise of Dak Prescott is greatly exaggerated. He will improve without the corpses of Jason Witten and Dez Bryant. He might not be great this year because the replacements are either young or mediciore (at tight end, both!), but he will continue to develop his mechanics and accuracy. Dak lost 10 pounds and is in the best shape of his life. Scott Linehan will adjust his scheme with jet sweep savant Tavon Austin and a wide receiver coach who teaches more than "do whatever comes naturally." Meanwhile, a thriving running game and an improving defense will put the team in playoff contention.

I tell myself this every night.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Levitate posted:

how optimistic of you

He meant in the preseason

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Tom Sellout posted:

The demise of Dak Prescott is greatly exaggerated. He will improve without the corpses of Jason Witten and Dez Bryant. He might not be great this year because the replacements are either young or mediciore (at tight end, both!), but he will continue to develop his mechanics and accuracy. Dak lost 10 pounds and is in the best shape of his life. Scott Linehan will adjust his scheme with jet sweep savant Tavon Austin and a wide receiver coach who teaches more than "do whatever comes naturally." Meanwhile, a thriving running game and an improving defense will put the team in playoff contention.

I tell myself this every night.

Levitate posted:

how optimistic of you

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Did anyone else watch the segment on Dawkins before the game aired? The fucks put Collinsworth on the screen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are really bad

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
You can't fluke your way to the #1 seed.
You can't fluke your way through the Falcons & Vikings in the playoffs, one being in the Super Bowl the year prior.
You can't fluke your way past the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl after all of that. #1 seed vs. #2 seed.
You can't fluke Big Dick Nick's Dick. It's biological.

The Eagles were the absolute best team in the NFL last year, period.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Did anyone say they weren't? In any case the question now is are they still

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

89 posted:

You can't fluke your way through the Falcons & Vikings in the playoffs, one being in the Super Bowl the year prior.
You can't fluke your way past the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl after all of that. #1 seed vs. #2 seed.

Lol

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

89 posted:

who cares if they were Worthy or not they loving won it jesus christ

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The best part is how 89 became a fan in like 2012 lol

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

The best part is how 89 became a fan in like 2012 lol

2009 here

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What do you guys consider the time you became a fan? When you first owned merch your parents bought you? First watched a game here and there? First watched every game?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First watched games with my dad and rooted for them. So like .. 1984?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Ah so I see the thread has devolved into a dick measuring contest. Carry on then.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Diqnol posted:

What do you guys consider the time you became a fan? When you first owned merch your parents bought you? First watched a game here and there? First watched every game?

I became a fan when I started caring. I sort of remember watching the 1981 Super Bowl but not really and although my dad was a fan I never really payed too much attention. I started caring when I stopped playing football and I'm old so that would have been 1986ish. Basically I became a fan when Buddy Ryan became coach.

very stable genius posted:

Ah so I see the thread has devolved into a dick measuring contest. Carry on then.

Dicks of all size welcome here. If you've been a fan for a long time it just means you are old and gross.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

very stable genius posted:

It's interesting to watch the parallels between this thread and the one Games thread I actually read. Mainly nerds get way too worked up about things that don't matter lol.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Donovan McNabb was really, really loving good and honestly putting a third year QB ahead of him is premature almost no matter how good those first two seasons were. Wentz is amazing but it's not contrarian to say that at this point he hasn't proved himself a better QB than McNabb.

Like, it took me about a decade to warm to the idea the McNabb was a better Eagles QB than Cunningham and I'm still not 100% because have you seen Cunningham play? Holy poo poo he was good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My first football memory I can remember is :mcnabb: being booed at the draft

So 99 for me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I started watching the cowboys in 1988 when I was four as much as I can remember.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Carson Wentz is going to be one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL. He has a very real shot at being the best ever.

If I could take any QB in the NFL to start a franchise right now, I'd go with Carson Wentz. Granted, it would be a tough choice between Wentz and Aaron Rodgers based on talent alone, but I'll go with Wentz based on age. (I'm ruling out geriatric fucks Brady and Brees)

Thanks for the words of caution, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

Carson Wentz and the Eagles in general are going to regress hard this year

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tom Sellout posted:

Carson Wentz and the Eagles in general are going to regress hard this year

Barring injury, they are improved at WR, OT, RB, CB, and TE. DL is a bit of a question mark with the loss of Curry and the Jernigan injury, but if there's some drop off there I wouldn't expect it to be drastic.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

Barring injury, they are improved at WR, OT, RB, CB, and TE. DL is a bit of a question mark with the loss of Curry and the Jernigan injury, but if there's some drop off there I wouldn't expect it to be drastic.

Bennett might be an upgrade to Curry

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I got a meme :D

And it was 2010. I only measure when I started caring.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

grah posted:

Donovan McNabb was really, really loving good and honestly putting a third year QB ahead of him is premature almost no matter how good those first two seasons were. Wentz is amazing but it's not contrarian to say that at this point he hasn't proved himself a better QB than McNabb.

Like, it took me about a decade to warm to the idea the McNabb was a better Eagles QB than Cunningham and I'm still not 100% because have you seen Cunningham play? Holy poo poo he was good.

He's definitely better than McNabb was as a rookie.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

axeil posted:

Reminder that the Philadelphia Eagles signed Michael Vick AFTER he was convicted of murdering innocent dogs.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Michael Vick served his sentence. The Eagles should be applauded for their service in the fight against recidivism.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I mean, he hasn't done anything since so it appears he was rehabilitated. Who gives a gently caress?

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

In response to Dak's comments on the anthem, a mural was created inspired by Get Out:

https://twitter.com/mumbles_j/status/1025768033023926272?s=19

I see new av material

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haha drat that’s brutal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Got my new shirt.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Eagles fan chiming in and my biggest concern heading into this year is the loss of Frank Reich and John DeFilippo. A big part of Philly's success last year was great play calling and excellent run/pass balance. Maybe a lot of that was Petersen but I look at, say, what happened when Shanahan left Atlanta and worry.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'll say this about the Eagles they sure do suck and are a lovely rear end team that shouldn't have won the super bowl

other then that theyre still pretty awful

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

BiggerBoat posted:

Eagles fan chiming in and my biggest concern heading into this year is the loss of Frank Reich and John DeFilippo. A big part of Philly's success last year was great play calling and excellent run/pass balance. Maybe a lot of that was Petersen but I look at, say, what happened when Shanahan left Atlanta and worry.

This, too, is my biggest concern OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got my new shirt.

:yosnice:

also, good doggie