Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Barkley gonna get 250 yards rushing and 125 recieving every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lmfao

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Question for Giants fans: If Shepard's injury turns out to be problematic and Golden Tate loses his appeal and they both miss the first four games, who are the Giants starting wide receivers? Maybe a couple of guys that get cut by the Browns?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Russell Shepard and Alonzo Russell. They're both second teamers working with Daniel Jones.

Sterling should come back from a broken thumb within a month so he'll prob just be out for preseason and the Giants have been running a ton of two TE sets in training camp which means they're conceding that they have no WRs already.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Quiet Feet posted:

Barkley gonna get 250 yards rushing and 125 recieving every game.

Corey Coleman isn't much of a loss

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Speaking of receivers, remember how bad the 2016 Eagles receivers were?

The Eagles were unable to turn Dorial Green-Beckham into Calvin Johnson after all.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

Unfortunately, that is a pretty good use of a top 5 pick actually: a huge piece of your offense on a controlled contract for up to 6 years including franchise tags (right?) and then dumping him after. The system is basically set up to incentivize doing that. But they didn't draft a replacement last year because he's still under contract, so I think his leverage is about as good as it's gonna get. At the very least they could throw him some extra millions.

I understand the argument. I don't agree with it. With a top 10 pick, I'd rather take a shot at someone who could become a franchise stalwart (and risk a bust) rather than go for a guy who I know is going to be a good performer but most likely will not be with the team past his rookie deal.

I agree with the Eagles' philosophy of drafting QBs and lineman at the top of the draft. In the last 20 years, they've drafted 4 times in the top 10: QB, DT, OT, QB. If you expand that to include top 15 picks, they've gone: QB, DT, DE, DT, DE, DT, OT, QB, DE. That's 4 positions total: QB, OT, DE, DT. Maybe it's the homer in me, but that's the way it's loving done when done right.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I can see both points, but I think the argument that would keep me away from going RB in the top ten is longevity. ideally you want 10+ good to great years out of a pick that high, and RB (and possibly CB?) aren't gonna give you that level of return.

the exception is if you're a team with a 2 year window and need one more playmaker (I'm imagining a team like the Chargers) then you absolutely take a Saquon or Zeke and grab for that ring babey

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah I got what you guys are saying. I also would be unlikely to choose an RB that high, but when you think about it six years is basically an era in football terms. And to have a guy that's as huge a piece of your offense as Zeke for six years on a controlled contract is pretty good. But yeah overall I'm definitely more of a third or fourth round RB guy, mainly I was just bitching about the wage scale for RBs as i am wont to do

Regarding Golden Tate's suspension, he has an interesting story about that. According to him, he saw a pregnancy doctor (or whatever) who gave him drugs (to enhance his sperm count, presumably) so that Tate and his wife could have a child. He began taking it but, after discovering that it was on the banned substances list, alerted the league BEFORE he tested positive for anything. He seems to think it'll be overturned on appeal although I doubt that.

No idea how true any of that is, it's hard to tell. What's definitely plausible is a sperm count drug being on the banned substances list, considering it's probably hormone-based which is what steroids are as well.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
People always say longevity when concerning RBs when they last maybe a little less longer than the average WR, DB, or LB. The only position that is above it all is QB who averages about 4 and half years in the NFL, the rest are all between 2.5 to 3 years with RBs on the low end and oline on the far end.

It really is a phenomenally silly argument that people constantly bring up and are wrong about.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah, you and Dave Gettleman are probably right about that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Doltos posted:

People always say longevity when concerning RBs when they last maybe a little less longer than the average WR, DB, or LB. The only position that is above it all is QB who averages about 4 and half years in the NFL, the rest are all between 2.5 to 3 years with RBs on the low end and oline on the far end.

It really is a phenomenally silly argument that people constantly bring up and are wrong about.

if you're drafting an average anything in the top ten you're doing something wrong

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

indigi posted:

if you're drafting an average anything in the top ten you're doing something wrong

Yes so you and the rest of the geniuses that think they've solved the draft should go tell GMs to draft really good players instead of average ones

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you're still arguing to hedge your bets and assume.tour top pick will be average as opposed to picking what you think will be a great, long lasting player

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've made that argument years and years before Saquan and I'll make it for years and years after.

NFL shelf life is short for the majority of positions, go BPA.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

So you're saying that RBs last the least amount of time out of every position, yet teams shouldn't be concerned at all about their longevity? I suppose that makes sense to somebody...? You also have to realize that a small difference on average (because tons of guys are out of the league quickly regardless) can actually mean a pretty large difference. QB average is 4.5 yet these days they can go for 20 years at the top end, RB average is 2.5 meaning even the best ones won't go too far past 30.

Seems more like you're gearing yourself up to drink Gettleman's "Kool Aid" (piss)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Running backs are also more susceptible to injury than some other positions.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Giants QB scorecard:

Eli Manning, Daniel Jones.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
https://twitter.com/mreeseeagles/status/1155881791129096192?s=20

https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/1155909308229595137?s=20

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

So you're saying that RBs last the least amount of time out of every position, yet teams shouldn't be concerned at all about their longevity? I suppose that makes sense to somebody...? You also have to realize that a small difference on average (because tons of guys are out of the league quickly regardless) can actually mean a pretty large difference. QB average is 4.5 yet these days they can go for 20 years at the top end, RB average is 2.5 meaning even the best ones won't go too far past 30.

Seems more like you're gearing yourself up to drink Gettleman's "Kool Aid" (piss)

I'm saying the difference between a position lasting 2.5 years or 2.8 years is negligible. WRs have almost as tough of a time lasting in the league as RBs, take a ton of hits as well, and play arguably the second most difficult position to learn in football, but people clamor for them to be picked up all the time in the draft. I get that passing is more valuable than running in today's league, but the risk factor for picking WRs in the top 25 is huge.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-shrinking-shelf-life-of-nfl-players-1456694959
https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/01/nfl-careers-shortened-two-years-data-analysis

Datas there. If you're looking at about a year difference between the most durable position and the least durable position and you're refusing to take one over the other because of it then you're basically saying one season is all that matters in your outlook. I think the better way to look at it is to realize that injuries are a crap shoot even if you get hit a ton or not. There are many, many outlier RBs that have careers well into their 30's. We are in a plane of existence that contains Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson, two men that have guaranteed taken more shots to their body than Floyd Mayweather. We have guys like RG3 that go down to a piece of field turf and ruin what should be long, illustrious careers. Trying to plan around injuries and avoiding BPA picks because of it is just silly.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I've actually been surprised at how little people are talking about Jackson being back in Philly. He played really well in Tampa, he's still fast as gently caress, and on this offense you gotta hope they'll be able to hit him deep. Even at 32 years old he's still killing it and I think he will be a big part of the receiver group this year

Doltos posted:

I'm saying the difference between a position lasting 2.5 years or 2.8 years is negligible. WRs have almost as tough of a time lasting in the league as RBs, take a ton of hits as well, and play arguably the second most difficult position to learn in football, but people clamor for them to be picked up all the time in the draft. I get that passing is more valuable than running in today's league, but the risk factor for picking WRs in the top 25 is huge.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-shrinking-shelf-life-of-nfl-players-1456694959
https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/01/nfl-careers-shortened-two-years-data-analysis

Datas there. If you're looking at about a year difference between the most durable position and the least durable position and you're refusing to take one over the other because of it then you're basically saying one season is all that matters in your outlook. I think the better way to look at it is to realize that injuries are a crap shoot even if you get hit a ton or not. There are many, many outlier RBs that have careers well into their 30's. We are in a plane of existence that contains Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson, two men that have guaranteed taken more shots to their body than Floyd Mayweather. We have guys like RG3 that go down to a piece of field turf and ruin what should be long, illustrious careers. Trying to plan around injuries and avoiding BPA picks because of it is just silly.

Yeah I guess I never argued against the point you're making, although I would be leery of taking receivers in the top 10 as well unless they're Megatron/Julio/Hopkins quality. The thing about drafting RBs later is that if the entire league is doing it, you might as well also. If you can replace your starter with a third round rookie and only lose 10% of the production, teams are gonna do that every time. The fact is that teams are not wanting to give RBs a big contract after their rookie deal is up because they know they can get an adequate replacement relatively easily.

Anyways, I was the one arguing that taking Zeke high up was a pretty good deal when you consider the proportion of their offense that he's responsible for and the fact that he's cost controlled for his most prime years. Superstar RBs like Zeke and Barkley I'm fine with taking early, with the caveat that you should always attend to quarterback first which is what I feel the Giants did wrong. Drafting Barkley at that spot in a vacuum I have no problem with, hell he is gonna BE their offense this year

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Let it be known I hate that gettleman didn't even entertain offers for the Barkley pick and the Giants were in no position to take a RB, even if he was assumed BPA (I thought Rosen, Derwin, Nelson, and Roquan all had higher ceilings)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I like having DJ back as a deep threat and think he'll add a lot to the offense.

So long as the motherfucker doesn't spike the ball before crossing the goal line and keep getting stupid taunting penalties and poo poo.

The birds can even use him on special teams on certain situations if they need a home run.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Really the only (and I do mean only, gently caress you njmagazine with your gangbanger story poo poo) concern with Djax is how many games he'll actually suit up and if he will be around when we get into playoffs. He is really, really good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I hope when DJax scores his first TD he takes out a giant billboard the size of the stadium that says gently caress YOU CHIP KELLY.

DJax's burning hatred of The Forbidden One is good and righteous.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
gently caress football

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

gently caress football

yes, but also no

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

gently caress football

stay away from ham like Abraham

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Alfred going in for sloppy seconds

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I have heard zero Miles Sanders hype out of camp. Any reason?

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

ELO Musk posted:

I’m not sure how many reps he’s gotten. According to the legit beat writers that I follow, the common theme seems to be that he is clearly the most explosive back on the roster. I think another one noted that he ran with some power during the “thud” sessions. Haven’t heard much in terms of pass protection...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ELO Musk posted:

I've seen a few things, but one reason might be that he missed the whole offseason program before camp due to injury. So he's still learning what they need from him and such, but people have generally pointed out that he is probably the most athletically gifted back on the roster.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've heard nothing but good things. Howard has taken most of the reps. But even today Miles Sanders scored a TD and had a beautiful wheel route pass from Wentz.

Also, Vinny Curry WWE clotheslined him in the backfield, then did a Fortnite dance. Was his "welcome to the NFL" moment.

- DJax is tearing stuff up and opening up the offense. Ertz said he's loving how much easier DJax is making the offense for everyone. Wentz popping big gains off all over the field.
- Agholor is having a great camp.
- Sidney Jones is standing out and picked off Wentz today as well. He's making plays all over the field.
- Jordan Howard is also looking really good.

89 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 30, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this is the first time in a very long times that I've really liked all three of our top WRs

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
And Arcega-Whiteside just had an 80 yard TD. There goes my chances of grabbing him in dynasty.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

indigi posted:

this is the first time in a very long times that I've really liked all three of our top WRs

Same. And we have TE's to go with it. Team is very balanced.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

ELO Musk posted:

quote:

NJ.com reports Miles Sanders has "looked the part" so far in Eagles camp.

That's from Mike Kaye. Kaye's colleague, Zack Rosenblatt reported Tuesday that Sanders "seems to clearly have the most talent in the running back group" and is "certainly the shiftiest." The Athletic's Sheil Kapadia goes even further. "If ball security and pass pro are non-issues, seems like a matter of when, not if, Sanders is the lead back," Kapadia posted Tuesday. It's not surprising to hear a second-round pick hyped, but it is also far from a given with a rookie running back. Sanders could easily be getting knocked for the "small things" right now. He is going to push Jordan Howard to the maximum in Eagles camp.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
When someone gets a chance please put up a new thread for the new season. The cup will overflowith with Eli posts this year.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

A non eagles fan, please. It will help with the perceived bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Are there any Giants fans left in TFF besides Daltos?