Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I've been doing a replay of the first four Silent Hill games:

- Silent Hill 1, imo, hasn't aged as badly as other 3D games from that generation, yeah it has bad voice acting and some wonky rear end controls, but it's such a crazy weird romp and sets up the exploration standards well for the later entries

-Silent Hill 2 is still very good. Beat it for the first time in about 8 or 9 years or so and used headphones and PCSX2 and there are so many audio things that I missed. reaching the resort and the first time you go up the stairs to the third floor to the old room, find the gate's locked, and you turn around and hear a faint "JAMES!" as you head back down holy poo poo I never caught that before :stare:

-Silent Hill 3 is also very good but ffffffffffffuck the subway section, this is the first time I wandered into the proper area to find a map because this game loves either sticking you with no map or putting them in weird places like the construction site (I cant even remember if there even is a map for it)

looking forward to getting to Silent Hill 4 as I know it's super different in some not-good ways but I have only briefly played it years ago

I was going to beat SH3 in one go saturday but I went in too deep with an edible and was tripping way too hard and I can't even imagine the bad trip I would have playing a game with flesh walls and mutated nightmares and endless darkness and all that poo poo

shame the series is dead :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cowcaster posted:

wow that's even more nail on the head than i thought

http://deathgenerator.com/#sc2

A good resource for your shitposting needs

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Several years ago I was playing Silent Hill 1 on an emulator, and after a while I closed it to go about my business.

For the next several hours I kept hearing small, weird sounds in my apartment and couldn't figure out what it was. Turns out, the emulator didn't close properly and was running invisibly in the background, playing light Silent Hill ambient noise the entire time.

Thanks for spooking me, Silent Hill.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They're putting Mafia 3 on PS+/is it good

Wasn't it supposed to be super janky or something

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think that's the one with the mission where you shoot up a ku klax klan meeting that got a lot of press at the time, other than that i don't think anyone remembers anything about it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

I played it some months ago and, despite its repetitiveness, I enjoyed all its charm and the revenge plot.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The issue with mafia 3 is that you're forced to do repetitive missions to advance and like, you'd think that wouldn't be that hard to patch into something smoother.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

I dug the characters, and some of the basic gameplay mechanics are fun. It uses a grinding-side-activities-for-territory-control system out of a mid-2000s open world game for its progression, which might be a turnoff.

Soundtrack is great though https://genius.com/mafia-iii-music

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is new No Man's Sky is actually good or did it just get Overton Window'd into looking good?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i asked that in the long lost july thread, from a million years ago, and the consensus seemed to be "if you wanted to like no man's sky but felt like the actual game was missing, this is the update that makes it the fully fledged game you were always hoping for. if you didn't like no man's sky because open world crafting games like that don't interest you, this update isn't going to change that"

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I hadn't played it since the launch, but with the patch I'd say NMS is pretty good. However, it's still a heavily aimless survival game, so it really depends on how much you like that sort of thing.

It could still stand to excise some 'survival' features but that's true of basically every game in the genre.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be honest with y'all: I love having a loud clicky keyboard. It's a thing I never really thought about but now that I have it, I never want to go back.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I wouldn't say No Man's Sky has no goals, but, like Minecraft, it has a metric fuckload of little mini-goals. I'm going to go mine carbon for 20 minutes so that I can expand my house, I'm going to look for ciphers so that I can understand this alien language better, I'm going to save up money so I can buy a new ship. It's the kind of game where you play it for 3 hours and constantly feel like you're working towards one thing or another but at the end of it you look back and realize you didn't really accomplish anything meaningful.

Personally I like those kinds of games but I'm glad it's multiplayer now because that sort of repetitive gameplay is much more palatable when you're chatting with friends about the weird penis-creatures they discovered or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Gonna be honest with y'all: I love having a loud clicky keyboard. It's a thing I never really thought about but now that I have it, I never want to go back.

Are you rocking MX Cherry Blues? Browns? It enhances the feeling of punching deck for sure.

Speaking of which, just got my zines and sealed envelopes for the EXAPUNKS Special edition. These are rad, so continuing the conversation from last month, Always Buy Special Editions of Games

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Good soup! posted:

I've been doing a replay of the first four Silent Hill games:

- Silent Hill 1, imo, hasn't aged as badly as other 3D games from that generation, yeah it has bad voice acting and some wonky rear end controls, but it's such a crazy weird romp and sets up the exploration standards well for the later entries

-Silent Hill 2 is still very good. Beat it for the first time in about 8 or 9 years or so and used headphones and PCSX2 and there are so many audio things that I missed. reaching the resort and the first time you go up the stairs to the third floor to the old room, find the gate's locked, and you turn around and hear a faint "JAMES!" as you head back down holy poo poo I never caught that before :stare:

-Silent Hill 3 is also very good but ffffffffffffuck the subway section, this is the first time I wandered into the proper area to find a map because this game loves either sticking you with no map or putting them in weird places like the construction site (I cant even remember if there even is a map for it)

looking forward to getting to Silent Hill 4 as I know it's super different in some not-good ways but I have only briefly played it years ago

I was going to beat SH3 in one go saturday but I went in too deep with an edible and was tripping way too hard and I can't even imagine the bad trip I would have playing a game with flesh walls and mutated nightmares and endless darkness and all that poo poo

shame the series is dead :rip:

Dude Weed Lol,

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

My goddamn spacekey stabilizers are failing so sometimes it pops off from the side.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are you rocking MX Cherry Blues? Browns? It enhances the feeling of punching deck for sure.

I have no idea. I mainly got this keyboard because it was cheap and well reviewed. Looking at the listing it looks like it has knock off blues but I'm not sure.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of my friends is super into survival/crafting/sandbox games whereas the rest of our group finds them the most pointless exercises in boredom imaginable so he’s always showing us screenshots of castles and bases and stuff he’s built and it feels almost exactly like an aunt showing you slides of their european vacation

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I will like any game that features a command line terminal/text interface with clacking typing as you enter commands

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This story makes NMS sound hella rad but it's probably something like one in ten thousand players will experience

https://twitter.com/BMCarbaugh/status/1024517425306513408

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

This story makes NMS sound hella rad but it's probably something like one in ten thousand players will experience

its funny because I read that story earlier and its like "oh he found a pearl" and scrolled down and lolled at the length of his thread about this incredibly common event in no man's sky

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

my work keyboard is old and nothing special but going to it from my personal laptop always feels very powerful

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Fancy keyboards and mice never mattered to me, but now I have glowy ones and every time they turn to bright red because I ripped aggro in FFXIV it means I loving win.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL--RrbjrF0

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

“ripped aggro” definitely sounds like a euphemism for blasting a huge fart

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

“ripped aggro” definitely sounds like a euphemism for blasting a huge fart

Fartmage is one of the classes

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i cant wait for shinobi striker. im gonna be hokage, BELIEVE IT

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Fartmage is one of the classes

Brown Mage

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sounds like a really cool modern syndicate?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Nah its less something extremely rare and its more the only cool thing that can happen. Thousands of people will have basically this exact same experience. And once you have it, running into it again on another planet won't be all that cool.

That perl and the sentinel response aren't procgen'd. They're a single pre-scripted event that likely occurs on tons of planets.

Also it sounds cool but not much really happened. Anybody can take a mundane game experience and frame it like it was earth-shatteringly awesome if they really want to. Its like borderline fan fiction.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK2cnxXauls

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The opposite, I hate those noises and used to buy rubber keyboards to avoid them(And also for easier cleaning)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've been using the same $30 logitech keyboard since 2005

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i have a glowy mouse but i bought it because it was $2 at a garage sale

no idea if it's good or not, it just stays lit and changes all the colors of the rainbow.

Cowcaster posted:

i've been using the same $30 logitech keyboard since 2005

i have a media keyboard because i play every pc game with a controller

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

im segata sanshiro irl and i have to punch all of the giant keys on my giant keyboard to type this post

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ps/2 connector and everything

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Poniard posted:

im segata sanshiro irl and i have to punch all of the giant keys on my giant keyboard to type this post

you must be a beast at sf1

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Still playing Octopath for a couple hours a night, though Captain Toad is now making an appearance and the sale of Burnout Paradise means I've played and will play that multiplayer some. Pretty good gaming so far for the month of August as of today.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Clicky keyboards suck for anyone you play multiplayer over voice chat with and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah its less something extremely rare and its more the only cool thing that can happen. Thousands of people will have basically this exact same experience. And once you have it, running into it again on another planet won't be all that cool.

That perl and the sentinel response aren't procgen'd. They're a single pre-scripted event that likely occurs on tons of planets.

Also it sounds cool but not much really happened. Anybody can take a mundane game experience and frame it like it was earth-shatteringly awesome if they really want to. Its like borderline fan fiction.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1024695174092521472

That's the kind of actual 'surprise' you get in NMS, something procgen'd which you won't see very often and even the original creator didn't know about. Which is cool, but... also meh.

Anything like finding eggs that spawn monsters is scripted.

• Locked thread