Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would not meet a goon irl because I do not meet anyone irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

Same.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I would not, could not, eat goon meat
I would not, could not, Sam's-A-NEET

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Who are cosplaying as?

You gotta crossplay as Hatsune Miku, it is the true con experience that way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would not meet another goon
I would not meet one with a spoon
I would not ask about the stairs
I would not because I don't cares

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What was the earliest game with a dynamic soundtrack? Total Annihilation is the first one I can think of where the music shifted when a battle starts.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

chumbler posted:

I'm coming over, I've got Funyuns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Spider-Man puddle "controversy" is hilarious and every time I run into someone who legitimately feels aggrieved by it, I feel myself getting dumber through osmosis

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Is the puddle really racist or

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The underlying problem is that Insomniac is American and therefore uses Imperial Graphic Wrenches, but they outsourced the puddles to someone who tightened up the graphics with Metric Graphic Wrenches.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I don't mind meeting people. I went to a goon meet once though and I still remember it scarringly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Spider-Man puddle "controversy" is hilarious and every time I run into someone who legitimately feels aggrieved by it, I feel myself getting dumber through osmosis

:golfclap:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I went to the London goonmeets back when I lived there and they were pretty cool. The people were chill and made a couple of friends. Then I moved to Bristol and we don't have goonmeets here but I randomly mentioned SA to my friends a while back and a girl I'd known for years said she knew the site and we did a hi-five :unsmith:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

September chat thread: happy yom kippur to the spidermans

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

What was the earliest game with a dynamic soundtrack? Total Annihilation is the first one I can think of where the music shifted when a battle starts.

I mean even NES games could fall along with this, since a lot of them would drop notes if say there was extra sound channels needed. Some of that is just overloading the system with too many notes at once, but then there's also developers that deliberately planned around it, like how Solar Jetman stops playing one note of the song when you start shooting stuff, or something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0al765wsiU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I haven't met a goon irl but I know KCB met the wife of one once because she was in a college course where the professor started talking about life & death for whatever reason and ended up bringing up the situation involving Baby Faith and how that whole situation was just a extremely sad, horribly managed mess, and when she was asked if she used SA, she said she doesn't have stairs in her house but that he husband does

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The copy of Mario Strikers Charged I ordered arrived and I was flicking through the manual and they misgender Birdo and I'm not mad at Nintendo :mad:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 31, 2018

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Someone get the Miiverse water reviewer guy on the horn

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Spider-Man canon is perfectly clear on this point:

quote:

The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
And the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again.

It's sunny out, he's climbing, the puddle has been dried up. Q.E.D.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That whole thing just reminds me of one of my favorite little touches in Horizon- not only does rain cause puddles to form on the ground, but after the rain the puddles don't just fade away but shrink from the outside in like they're really evaporating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if anyone has met me irl it was when they shone a flashlight on me while I was overturning their trash cans

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

step-tember: let's all play stepmania again

shep-tember: replay mass effect

nep-tember: play trashy jrpgs

blep-tember: cat pictures only

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

DOS TIE Fighter and possibly X-Wing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pitfall 2 has a mildly dynamic soundtrack

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, LucasArts had tech for that during the 90s and used it in their adventure and Star Wars games. I remember it happening in Dark Forces in 1995.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I played a big physical flight simulator with my wife and made her scream like a goddamn lunatic as we did a dozen loops and spins trying to dogfight and that is the most fun I’ve had in years and years

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I try to get my spouse to try new games but she won't stick with anything besides Neopets, the Sims 2, and Fallen London.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

Monkey Island 2 came out in 91 and has dynamic music, was that before or after TIE fighter?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rarity posted:

The copy of Mario Strikers Charged I ordered arrived and I was flicking through the manual and they misgender Birdo and I'm not mad at Nintendo :mad:

i mean tbh birdo's entire existence is just nintendo games being sort of weird about them

she's not exactly poison, where capcom did a big turnaround in bringing her back and made her one of the coolest trans icons in gaming and actually consulted with people about how to handle depicting her

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 31, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

September chat thread suggestion; September is Bigger Puddles Month

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway

The 7th Guest posted:

shep-tember: replay mass effect

i did this once and now i'm gonna question the sanity of anyone else who decides to do it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I got my friend to try Six Ages and now it’s all we talk about :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got my friend to try six flags and the vengabus came and took us away

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Colonel posted:

i mean tbh birdo's entire existence is just nintendo games being sort of weird about them

she's not exactly poison, where capcom did a big turnaround in bringing her back and made her one of the coolest trans icons in gaming and actually consulted with people about how to handle depicting her

I didn’t know Capcom actually dealt with it in any way

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I was listening to Houdini by Foster the People last night and it made me really nostalgic for shredding down the slopes in SSX. Another song like that for me is Rockstar by N.E.R.D., which I was always link to roaring down city streets in Burnout: Paradise.

Do you guys have any songs you associate with playing a certain game?

I know this post is 3 pages old, but:

So here I am, doing everything I can
Holding on to what I am
Pretending I'm a superman

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well I guess I own one of those Tales games now. The Humble monthly strikes again

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

congrats

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

b_d posted:

I didn’t know Capcom actually dealt with it in any way

they have, at the very least, actively taken steps to not be weird about her after they responded to feedback over her depiction in early street fighter x tekken stuff so she's allowed to just, be a cool trans woman which is kind of refreshing even if her appearances in stuff don't go super deep

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Monkey Island 2 came out in 91 and has dynamic music, was that before or after TIE fighter?

iMuse was developed for MI2 which is the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of firsts, Valentina in Super Mario RPG may have the first boob jiggle in video games

• Locked thread