Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Meh, Trump is more of a Bob Page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bob Page was competent

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It's amazing how you can make so much money off of white fragility. Can't wait to see what white people do when all of Bangladesh is underwater from climate change and 163 million brown people look for a new home!

They’ll do the same thing they did in the 1600s; just more deliberately, and with more smallpox. And there will be no hero’s left alive to stop them :decorum:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

crazyivan45 posted:

I thought this administration already had one case hosed up as Donnie’s tweets were seen as UCI? Was it the Bergdahl trial?

I mean, his lawyers argued that. The judge found that he was unaffected by Trump's comments, no UCI.

Aside from that I think James Amos and the whole jarheads peeing on corpses thing was the only recent example of UCI found by a four star, and he was retired by the time that ruling came down.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 1, 2018

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Also I know I post Frontline in this thread a lot, but if you want to be depressed or start drinking heavily you can watch the new on they have on the Family Separation crises.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/separated-children-at-the-border/

The best part? Seeing the faces of mothers and their young children as they are departed back to their home country to almost certain-death by gangs/death squads. gently caress.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

lol it's like a mini-version of Brexit. Stir up the anti-brown sentiment to the point where actual laws are passed, but end up loving over the towns long term with legal fees, litgation, loss productivity, ect. Meanwhile the people pushing the new policy take their money and run. Just like Brexit!

It's amazing how you can make so much money off of white fragility. Can't wait to see what white people do when all of Bangladesh is underwater from climate change and 163 million brown people look for a new home!

Hats off to the guy for finding a novel way of scamming sheltered white people out of their money that doesn't involve MLM or oxycontin.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So, this is a fascinating write up of the whole Otto Warmbier situation, and the likely, and unlikely factors as presented by the TRUMP! adminstration.

https://www.gq.com/story/otto-warmbier-north-korea-american-hostage-true-story

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/MoiraDonegan/status/1024656230856486912

Love this normal world where people argue that stuff like this is just about "submissiveness" and nothing to do homophobia

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Trial going well so far

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Kind of a shame, i wonder what his ostrich coat looks like.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
One year probation, callin it in advance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

crazyivan45 posted:

I thought this administration already had one case hosed up as Donnie’s tweets were seen as UCI? Was it the Bergdahl trial?

Yes.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Trial going well so far

I mean to be fair this is all completely irrelevant to the question of whether the money was legitimate and whether he paid his taxes on it. It makes me fear that the prosecutors aren't playing this well and we'll end up with a Bundy like jury nullification.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 1, 2018

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Trial going well so far

Don't loving blow this, Justice department

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes.

I mean to be fair this is all completely irrelevant to the question of whether the money was legitimate and whether he paid his taxes on it. It makes me fear that the prosecutors aren't playing this well and we'll end up with a Bundy like jury nullification.

I assume (hope) they're showing that he had X amount of money on his tax returns while he was spending even more in a given year.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

I assume (hope) they're showing that he had X amount of money on his tax returns while he was spending even more in a given year.

From what I briefly read I think that was the intent, yeah. Some guy said it so I assume it's true:

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1024726046493630465

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Judge said it wasn't. But that he might take it into consideration at sentencing as mitigation, which is a wierd "it totes wasn't, but maybe it still was some."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They're gonna blow this case.

quote:

As the second day of Manafort's trial got underway Wednesday, U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III indicated he was worried that referring to the businessmen who funded Manafort's political work in Ukraine as "oligarchs" had the tendency to suggest that the defendant was engaged in shady and unsavory work.

"We're not going to have a case tried that he associated with despicable people and, therefore, he's despicable," the judge declared during an exchange before jurors were brought into the courtroom. "That's not the American way."

"Oligarchy is just despotic power exercised by a privileged few," Ellis observed. "Principals of high schools are oligarchs in that sense. What I want to avoid ... is how you use the term oligarch to mean he was consulting and being paid by people [who] are criminals. Of course, there will be no evidence about that."

Ellis said that if the term simply meant a wealthy person, it might not be objectionable. "Well, Mr. Soros would be an oligarch by that definition, and so would Mr. Koch, but we wouldn't call them that," the judge said, referring to politically active American billionaires George Soros and, apparently, to either Charles or David Koch, or perhaps both.

"The word 'oligarch' has come to have a pejorative meaning about which there will be no evidence in this trial," the judge said.

Prosecutor Greg Andres rose to object to the government being prevented from using the term.

"We don't call American businessmen oligarchs. Ukrainian businessmen are referred to as oligarchs. Those are the facts," Andres said.

Ellis interrupted to disagree. "Those are not the facts of this case," he snapped, saying that any witnesses using the term would be offering an opinion.

:rolleyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

From what I briefly read I think that was the intent, yeah. Some guy said it so I assume it's true:

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1024726046493630465

They need receipts or something else to prove what they cost and more importantly when.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

hobbesmaster posted:

They need receipts or something else to prove what they cost and more importantly when.

I think showing his lavish lifestyle would be a good way to show that he would be easily caught up in ways to make more money. Sort of like lots of debt will make you lose a clearance because they assume you'll be more easily swayed to give up secrets for money.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Are they sure Character Actor Lane Smith is dead because I swear he's playing the judge in this trial.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I think showing his lavish lifestyle would be a good way to show that he would be easily caught up in ways to make more money. Sort of like lots of debt will make you lose a clearance because they assume you'll be more easily swayed to give up secrets for money.

They have to show that the way he got caught up in was a crime, not that he was spending or making money.

Or rather that the money he made did not match what was reported to the IRS. That can be done with luxury goods but they need to show that "he spent x on dumbshit in 2015, he reported to the irs he earned y and had z in assets. x > y and z did not go down"

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 1, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When you're talking a serious amount of money a lot of people stop being able to comprehend what that looks like. It's not even necessarily a lot of money either, in the scheme of things.

I've never seen what an Ostrich coat looks like. I didn't even know that was a thing that people owned outside of industrial revolution era factory barons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/morninggloria/status/1024716155913613313?s=21

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

quote:

"We don't call American businessmen oligarchs. Ukrainian businessmen are referred to as oligarchs. Those are the facts," Andres said.

Ellis interrupted to disagree. "Those are not the facts of this case," he snapped, saying that any witnesses using the term would be offering an opinion.

we should also start calling the hyper-rich American businessmen subverting our democracy to their will oligarchs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The trial’s been going on all drat day and all people are reporting on is a few weird rear end opinions by the judge? What the gently caress

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Laranzu posted:

Don't loving blow this, Justice department

Ron Howard: They did.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

[2018 intensifies]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like I am fairly sure the content of the witness testimony today wasn’t just a single tweet length comment about how he buys his suits

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't care for this judge at all. Demonstrating the kind of money he was blowing through vs how much he claimed to be earning legitimately is kind of a big deal. After the Bundys anything is possible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is also the same judge that pressed the prosecution hard on why Manafort ought to be in jail pre-trial and had everybody wondering if he was a Trump plant. Seems like he’s just trying to make sure the prosecution’s argument is iron tight.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fallom posted:

This is also the same judge that pressed the prosecution hard on why Manafort ought to be in jail pre-trial and had everybody wondering if he was a Trump plant. Seems like he’s just trying to make sure the prosecution’s argument is iron tight.
We've been kicked in the balls so many times over the last couple of years that I'm incredibly paranoid.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Fallom posted:

This judge has also ordered the lawyers on both sides to stop rolling their eyes after they talk to him.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/399897-judge-in-manafort-trial-tells-attorneys-to-reign-in-their-facial

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fallom posted:

Isn’t this a tactic to ensure a guilty verdict is indisputably given?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The judge took senior status in 2007 or something so hes been half retired for over a decade now if that helps put things in context. Hopefully hes just tired of everyone's bullshit in a good way, not a bad one.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lol he's gonna get a slap on the wrist and nothing will happen from this

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

This judge has also ordered the lawyers on both sides to stop rolling their eyes after they talk to him.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/399897-judge-in-manafort-trial-tells-attorneys-to-reign-in-their-facial

Haha, what a baby back bitch. I thought my job was bad when my expense reports got rejected repeatedly for fraction of a cent rounding errors. Now I just make sure the errors are in favor of my employer and magically they get approved

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Isn’t this a tactic to ensure a guilty verdict is indisputably given?

The way the DOJ has recently been blowing iron clad cases by going for the dumb sound bite angle instead of the factual kill shot they are known for historically doesn't give me confidence that the prosecutor has a backup plan.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1024729641251155975

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Fallom posted:

Something we’ve learned in the past few years is jurys don’t really care about air tight legal arguements. If the judge is making them jump through this so that the case is airtight, he’s doing it so that when the jury declares him innocent he can wash his hands of it

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

E: oh cool ICE is killing kids now great

Expect his approval rating to go up among the base

• Locked thread