Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FAUXTON posted:

"Looking Back With an Eye on the Future"

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

The piss tape exists, but it's not Trump getting peed on. It's just hookers pissing on a bed at his direction because (I'm guessing his phrasing) "that friend of the family obama slept in it."

The tragic part is that his approval ratings would go up with CHUDS for saying exactly that.

Probably, but it would also endanger any less than blazing-red state GOP congressman to claim any kind of support for Trump at all after this as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1026059397519290370?s=19

This seems crazy to me. Also didn't know other people did it before him

Looks like the beginning of the Ohio refugee crisis

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

It's been going since Apollo 13

Fuckin love that photo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dead to me

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Georgia can just burn in loving hell.

Ok maybe not. :hfive:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

current event: https://www.businessinsider.com/arizona-sheriff-told-sacha-baron-cohen-he-would-accept-blow-job-from-donald-trump-2018-8

quote:

Baron Cohen then asks the sheriff: "If Donald Trump calls you up after this and says, 'Sheriff Joe, I want to offer you an amazing blow job,' would you say yes?"

"I may have to say yes," Arpaio replies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

some of my wife's family lives in Kansas and they are teachers who routinely complain about the collapsing education system but by loving god they'll keep pulling that red lever

Same for literally all of my family but Oklahoma. Had 1 brother up there who stayed in Tulsa after graduating from Oral Roberts U and then after Katrina all the family that survived (except me) moved up to the Tulsa area also. They complain about the schools but have enough money to send their kids to the private schools so just do that and vote straight ticket R every year because 'abortion'.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

Lol bangladesh is hosed.

Anyone else keeping up with this?

I haven't watched news in the longest time so no idea if that is even making it to the television.

Any links / sources? Only really hearing about people talking about it 2nd hand here and in another thread or two.

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I hear there's kids for the taking at the border :ice:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Crowd scene at the end?

That motorcycle / car chase scene early on was loving awesome as well but yeah the city siege / exit scene towards the end was bananas. Really good movie on a few levels.

Edit: Crucifying citizens, to own the 'nucks.

https://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-crucified-man-in-mecca-while-calling-out-canada-human-rights-2018-8

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's cool that everyone in the DoD, Congress etc know the space force is a joke and just let it run without shooting it down because the president is broke brained. Even cooler that they'll do this without invoking the 25th amendment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Crakkerjakk posted:

I mean, maybe. Whole bunch of Democrats voted for the recent bank deregulation bill, which means either she wasn't able to whip them to oppose it or she thinks it's a great idea if she's got such iron control of the Dems in the house. The question is gonna be whether when the Dems get back in power she'll be behind the president (whoever that is) or if her ability to whip the party will mysteriously degrade when it comes to pro-corporate poo poo.

On a separate note, I have no idea why people are paying attention to what Omorosa says. Like, we all know she likes for personal advantage and is totally fine working for authoritarian racists so long as it makes her a buck, right? I mean sure, Trump probably has used all kinds of racial slurs. Omorosa saying it happened is worthless as evidence if that fact, right?

I never watched the apprentice, just know who she is from general pop culture references and the bit where she got kicked out of the white house, but everyone knows you can't trust a thing she says without a corroborating witness, right? Is that somehow the wrong impression?

"I remember that person from TV" or "royal wedding!!" is sufficient to drown out the screams of thousands of brown children unfortunately.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1027992290307002374

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I love football but college athletics are a horribly broken thing that needs to die. While I was at U Texas the athletic Dept recorded an all time profit record for schools nationwide, bringing in over $220m and we're doing a $6m renovation to the football stadium.

Meanwhile we were in our 2nd of a 3 yr long hiring and wages freeze because the school budget was hosed (repercussions of the 2008 crash).

The college football experience is really neat and a very unique thing. But drat, it's just not worth the exploitation, biogtry and academic hipocracy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Over 70,000 athletes play football. 250ish get drafted to the NFL. I think they’re doing so for more reasons than training for the NFL.

I don’t think the 70,000 are all so stupid that they don’t know their odds.

As someone who teaches / has taught college football players, I'm willing to bet it's a majority of them that think they can make it, at least in the first 2 years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Meh, I chalk some of that up to bravado and saving face. Everyone’s had that soldier in the army or coworker who would be in the NFL or on a full ride to Yale or whatever if not for [vague reason that’s not their fault]

E: and playing the lottery is super easy. Getting into and then sticking with college sports isn’t.

Yeah that's fair. Also I'm in STEM but will be the first to argue that college should be well more than a tech training campus.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

There was another chaser

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1029011200099508225

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

just want to remind everyone that Theranos was a thing

As someone who works with patient samples / does research and has to deal with HIPAA, IACUC and IRB paperwork and applications constantly this poo poo was amazing.

Like, they went in with some assholish "silicon valley" mindset that 'the only reason this poo poo takes so long / doesn't work the way it should is because of excessive regulations and outdated oversight.'

Then they proceed to ignore a bunch of safety and private protection regs. They get called out for it but since they are 'disruptors' they ignore it and get the big FDA swinging dick all over them as a result. Guess what guys, when they tell you to knock it off, you knock it off.

Apart from all the safety violation poo poo their product also just wasn't going to work as good as they wanted it to, so they cocked up a bunch of stuff showing it worked great. Like, impossibly great but we can't show you how because its a trade secret but trust the guys that are ignoring a million ethical and safety standards that we are being honest on this one point.

I hope that Theranos is used as a classroom example for years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos

:laffo: I didn't realize that Betsy DeVos tossed in $100m also.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EBB posted:

i hope green box truck guy is out drinking the town dry after a call like that

I was thinkin the same thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I know that death by diseas is probably pretty far down on our list of end of the world scenarios but

I recently read Demon in the Freezer and a couple other books so im probably kind of sensitive to this poo poo but lmao

We'll just continue to ignore poo poo like this until it pops up in loving Dallas (again) and then everyone will rage over it for a few weeks and then we'll ignore it again.

This is every infectious disease ever that does not kill small white american children btw.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Honestly the British had it right to call it Remembrance Day. Celebrating WWI as anything resembling a victory is..short sited at best. It was an utterly pointless slaughter of millions of people, left the world in far worse shape, and set the stage for round two only twenty years later.

I always thought this was a great take on it. Note the author died in battle shortly after.

code:
 The Parable of the Old Man and the Young
Wilfred Owen, 1893 - 1918

So Abram rose, and clave the wood, and went,
And took the fire with him, and a knife.
And as they sojourned both of them together,
Isaac the first-born spake and said, My Father,
Behold the preparations, fire and iron,
But where the lamb for this burnt-offering?
Then Abram bound the youth with belts and straps,
and builded parapets and trenches there,
And stretchèd forth the knife to slay his son.
When lo! an angel called him out of heaven,
Saying, Lay not thy hand upon the lad,
Neither do anything to him. Behold,
A ram, caught in a thicket by its horns;
Offer the Ram of Pride instead of him.

But the old man would not so, but slew his son,
And half the seed of Europe, one by one.
Pretty good 'gently caress you' to the leadership if you know the original bible story it refers to.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What the gently caress. :stare:

How did we not already invoke the 25th here?

Imagine one of McNally's letters going to Omarosa or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

This is it. This is officially the dumbest thing I've ever read.

read the nam article above.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That's the 'enemy of the american people' New York Times.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

“Give me affordable geisha debate night,” demands internet dude.

:laffo:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

And replace their houses with multi-family homes to give more people a shot at living in the city.

Or kill the cities and lots of parents at the same time....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SimonCat posted:

A quote from Julian Carr's speech at the dedication of the "Silent Sam" statue.

http://hgreen.people.ua.edu/transcription-carr-speech.html

Ugh. The bit before it is just as bad.

quote:

The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South – When “the bottom rail was on top” all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States – Praise God.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's cool until you realize that this congress will literally do nothing about it despite a lot of on record testimony about the president doing crimes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

lmao at drudge report right now

:jackbud:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If I could photoshop I'd put that drudge front page on the ark here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeIBFGyGd6M&t=91s

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grant had a horse named Jeff Davis? lmao I didn't know that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think the investigation is getting to him. Hopefully he has a stroke/heart attack soon

Probably our best bet.

In a just world he, some of his family and some of the GOP leadership would hang.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's a.very simple 14 word policy they are following.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BigDave posted:

When he transitions to full blown word salad, then I'll be convinced.

quote:

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right — who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Waiting for "I like Senators that aren't quitters."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fukn luv2watch people cry about the sadness of willfully stopping cancer treatment by the guy who helped thousands unwillingly stop cancer treatment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McCain got some points for stopping the most recent ACA repeal but voted against it originally and has long lobbied against it and other healthcare measures that have hosed over x-thousands of americans while taking advantage of his own free federal healthplan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The nomination of Palin directly led to the acceptance of Trump as a candidate. If you want to blame human nature instead of McCain for that cool, but I don't see how him surviving past Hanoi is a net positive for mankind.

• Locked thread