Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1024651228834418690

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meh, Trump is more of a Bob Page.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:thunk: Wow, great PR campaign Saudis

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, the adoption system is broken, and the high barrier makes it impossible for the average family to adopt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

So it's cheaper and the kids already need homes, sounds like a win win.

Or the barriers make it easier for the average family to roll the dice on their own kid and,hope it doesn't cost 400k apparently? gently caress it don't have any kids

Your severely oversimplifying it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
CBP really is the new Gestapo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYd-F9b_RMU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Lavrov says Russia knows of US Military plans before they happen

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-says-it-will-know-us-military-plans-they-happen-1048779

:thunk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

This guy cuts through the bullshit and says what they are all thinking
https://twitter.com/Kirshu64535436/status/1026942169242718208

Ah yes, John McAfee continues to not know when to shut his god damned mouth

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This time -- maybe.

:smith:

No, always. Even if the courts had an anti-gay bias, the will is legally binding and they are hosed either way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Air Force is raising the age limit for Basic. Manning issues finally getting addressed?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"We red x'ed the shuttle, why did you let it fly and blow up?!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Football isn't forever and the free ride an athlete gets can give the athlete a chance at a productive life. Athletic scholarships open doors for many low income kids and give many people an opportunity to experience college who never could. There are def things that need to be fixed about the system but I wholeheartedly believe it's a net positive for society and the individual athlete.

Also college football is the reason most of your extra curriculars and women's sports exist.

E: WRS do not have an average career of six years idk where your getting your numbers.

And yet its still a massive drain on academic finances and a disgusting waste, so the benefits College Football brought don't really justify it.
Sorry.

Fallom posted:

I’ve never actually seen the numbers that show how college sports fund everything else at the school

Because they don't exist. Most of the funds college sports bring in get redirected BACK into the Athletics department.

https://themillions.com/2015/01/why-big-time-college-football-sucks.html

College football is a scam and regularly puts colleges into debt.

quote:

Kristi Dosh, a lawyer who specializes in sports financing and who runs the blog businessofcollegesports.com, has analyzed how much sports other than football and men's basketball siphon off. Most of the time, she has found, the cost of other sports more than outweighs the net gain from football and basketball, and the losses can be huge even before adding in big variables such as coaches' salaries, aid to student athletes and recruiting.

Take the University of Florida. During the 2009-2010 school year it raked in $44 million from football and $2 million from men's basketball—but lost $2.8 million on women's basketball, $5.3 million on other men's sports, and $10 million on other women's sports. And that's before you include the cost of coaches' salaries ($17.4 million), aid to student athletes ($7.5 million), and recruiting ($1.4 million).

Students regularly pay $1,000 a year in Athletics fees, but rarely net any benefits from it. If the programs paid for themselves, these fees wouldn't exist.

quote:

Most college athletic departments are a net drain on the budget. Three years ago, the NCAA issued a report that found most athletic departments operate in the red. A more recent analysis by Bloomberg found the same thing: 46 of the 53 schools it looked at subsidized their sports programs. The money usually comes from sources such as student activity fees, such as that charged at Virginia Commonwealth University. Earlier this year VCU jacked up its fee by $50 to help fund the Rams basketball program.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 11, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Departments that usually see the cuts are Science and Liberal Arts. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

Missouri elected a dead guy rather than having John Ashcroft in office, but then W went and made him AG instead. Missouri has really gone downhill since 2000.

Also, NPR softballs white supremacists. People are not happy.
https://twitter.com/UncleRamrod/status/1027976018177359872

https://twitter.com/KarenAttiah/status/1027972207161561088

Even worse, they brought on an Alt-Right guy for a counter-opinion.

NPR is losing it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

College sports is evolving and will continue to do so.

And will continue to be a leech on actual academic spending, and per the NCAA, the majority of programs operate in the red.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
And let's be honest: Collegiate Football is just a subsidized NFL training camp, that we pay for.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm a STEM major, but I'm also an avid supporter of Arts, Language, and History, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PT waivers incoming

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Awesome article.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

FBI fired Peter Strzok.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.528fe1a13be8

Trump is gonna be even more insufferable than usual today.

.....I hope he plans to sue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Jeremy Corbyn attended a wreath-laying ceremony for the Munich Olympics attackers.

:wtc:

Willing to bet that's not what he thought it was, I sincerely doubt anyone would honestly do that knowing the optics of such.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:smith: That's gonna be a hell of a lot of casualties.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EBB posted:

Guys, don't worry. The planet will automatically solve this problem one way or another no human intervention required. Quite probably despite our intervention! :v:

Probably by eliminating those intervening and their entire species.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
....that's impressively bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Looks like it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Judicial Watch: Really focused on the real issues.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

Man the 5 am crapper-tweets are going to be amazing.

We dont even have to wait that long, he's got a Rally tonight. Livestream.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Donate to a local humane society and we call it even. Don't do it for me, do it for the dogs :colbert:

I worked for BoA ten years ago, and this poo poo was so incredibly common.
Of course, when these types called us, it was never their fault they over-drafted, it was always the banks.

Well.....BoA got in trouble because they were triple overdrafting fees for single charges. So, it was largely the banks at that point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Sessions has a spine? That's news.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is basically next level Climate Change Denial

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Guess that accidental battery puncture finally hit home

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I can't wait till the Military turns to Pokemon cards for morale rather than Pogs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

POGamon! In the format of MtG, With a picture of a challenge coin and a quote from terminal lance.

FNG tapped my lands, I counter with my 1st Shirt Card.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EBB posted:

real service members swap green weenie stories instead of flair

Checks DD-214 Oh god, it says fake service member right there :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

he was a seal officer

So no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sergg posted:

Let me tell you about Clarice. When I was dating a Clarice (a black woman), who was a science nerd getting ready for medical school, people would call her a "thug", "lippy", "bitch", "ghetto", the local townies would scream the word "friend of the family" at her from their cars while she was walking to med school in Erie, PA). I literally had to ban a guy from my home for life because he called her a "bitch" when she corrected him about Chris Tucker and Chris Rock being different actors, and then made an obviously innocuous and sarcastic joke about how "all we blacks look alike". She wears X-Men t-shirts, speaks perfect English with no accent, and is gonna be a fuckin doctor, but to MAGA chuds she's just another uppity feminist darkie, despite being one of the most amazing people I've ever met clawing her way up out of the poverty of the Detroit area from a broken home & becoming a doctor, Still raising two kids by herself while the ex-husband is totally absent with time or child support on account of his "PTSD" from being a motor pool clerk. Guy must've seen some really traumatic engines and broken axles. Free money from the government for life and this motherfucker won't even put food on their table. At the end of her divorce hearing, the judge literally said "I'm sorry you had to go through this."

Her family tried to convince her not to date me, but 4 years later and she's still head-over-hells in love with me. I'm the one that got away and she's said as much. We only broke up because we got into school in different states. Eventually she said "gently caress my family, they've never done anything but mock me for being a nerd that doesn't drink Hennessy & smoke Newports in front of my babies while gossiping" and she doesn't even show up to their funerals.

Mary that woman and love life.

MA-Horus posted:

In hilarious Non-America news;

The Trans-Mountain pipeline thru Alberta into BC to move oil from the oilsands to tanker terminals has just had it's certificate of construction revoked and all work has stopped, because the environmental assessment specifically left out the ideas that tanker ships might come and pick up the oil from the tanker terminals (amid other stupid oversights)

This decision comes hours before the Trans-Mountain board voted to sell the entire project to the Government of Canada for 4.5B dollars.

They voted 99% in favor of selling.

Canada just spent 4.5B dollars on literally nothing. Zip. Nada.

LMAO, you mean someone just pocketed 4.5B

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Even if he had thought of it first, given his usual tripe, it'd just be a broken clock moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bolow posted:

So uh Netanyahu apparently started monologuing like a loving Marvel villain during a renaming ceremony for a Nuclear Research Facility

https://twitter.com/israelipm/status/1034849460344573952

:psyduck:

Man, this sounds like something I'd read in Mein Kampf word for word.

• Locked thread