Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

joat mon posted:

Not until there's some evidence that anyone on the Trump side solicited, accepted, or received dirt on Clinton from the Russians.
The accounts of the meeting (at least the public ones) don't have any of that.

Didn't they go into that meeting with the Russians intending to get dirt, tho?

How does intent fit into criminal law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

joat mon posted:

Different intent. In your sense, going to a meeting with the intent to get dirt is like going to a protest to get in a fight. Intend all you want, but it's not illegal until you get in a fight.
Now, if you conspire with others to get into a fight, that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole.

Intent in the law works a bit differently. One has to do an action that is illegal in order to break the law. Thinking, wanting, hoping, going over in your mind, about a crime isn't illegal.
Generally* one must intend to do the illegal action. This actually makes it easier for the prosecutor. He/she doesn't have to prove you had the intent to break the law, only that you intended to do the act that broke the law. In this sense the intent is basically volition. This most basic of intent plus an illegal act equals a crime. (usually) E.g., soliciting/accepting foreign in-kind political contributions is a general intent crime - the prosecutor doesn't have to prove you did it with bad intent, just that you did it of your own volition.
*This kind of intent of called general intent. There is another kind of intent that does require some intent of the kind you're thinking of. Those are called specific intent crimes. In addition to a criminal _act_, the act must be done with some flavor of bad intent. E.g., several of the obstruction of justice statutes require that the obstruction 1) be done and 2) be done "corruptly." In addition to the act of obstructing, the prosecutor additionally has to prove that the act was done with corrupt intent. Specific intent crimes require more work, more proof, and have more room for reasonable doubt.

Wanting something illegal isn't illegal.

Interesting! I'm still confused, tho...if members of 45s election team went into a meeting with foreigners, under the intent to collect dirt on Clinton, and they only reason they didn't, is because the Russians didn't actually have anything....I'm still struggling to see how that's not illegal.

I can still get busted for buying drugs if I go to buy drugs, even if there aren't any drugs there....so I'm wondering what the difference is.

Probably that I'm a poor schmuck and the trumps have money, heh.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Arc Light posted:

From a couple pages back, but being the SSO responsible for that SCIF must be nuts. Like, imagine the daily struggle to get halfway through the latest security incident report, using all your willpower to not to eat a bullet.

:smithicide:

Gawd, I haven't even DONE this work in over a decade, and I still get angry forehead blood vessel and eye twitching whenever I read about another one of these chucklefucks complete disregard of security procedures.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

DrHub posted:

But it's free... :thunk:

Probably gets written off as either a charity tax write off or part of marketing.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Eej posted:

If Obama was willing to ignore the Angry Black Man image and strongarm stuff through like the public option America would've been a lot better off be he wasn't willing to and he didn't even want the public option anyway so here we are. Trump getting elected is probably the biggest indictment of how much of a failure the concept of respectability politics is.

This yo.

Regressives called him a communist anyway, he should have at least pushed for a public option, instead he tried to cooperate and be bipartisan with people who spit in his face(metaphorically).

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

So pardon her, numbnuts

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I missed out on getting a coin from the 101st commander cause I was home on leave, completely poo poo faced drunk.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Thalantos posted:

I missed out on getting a coin from the 101st commander cause I was home on leave, completely poo poo faced drunk.

I'm more sad that I was home on leave and missed the raid where they FINALLY nailed the IA battalion commander who was buddy buddy with the local insurgents.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That reminds me of ACU issue. We just got back from deployment and they scheduled our issue in the middle of block leave. I went to Nova Scotia on block leave, so I was never issued any.

Bought one pair, wore it the gently caress out over the next year.

My unit was like the 3rd one to get issued ACUs or some poo poo, the crotches all ripped out within a month or so, everyone walked around either with think brightly colored cap sewing jobs or we got to see what type of underwear they wore.

They also made us soak and impregnate our ACUs with DEET even though it had huge warnings of AVOID PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO HUMAN SKIN all over the packaging, still waiting to see what kind of cancer I get from that.

OK those are my ACU stories, kthnxby.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

My sister married a turk a few years back, I'm worried for them on a daily basis. :(

I transitioned a few years ago, and the amount of public threats and insults I've gotten has definitely increased over the last two years.

gently caress trump and his enabling of these assholes.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sergg posted:

Wait... is your sister from Macedonia?

Nope, state of Georgia, just like me.

Her husband's family emigrated here when he was...4 or some such.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Male to Female or Female to Male?

Also yes, gently caress Trump for this and many other things.

The first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Right on- good to hear you’ve successfully gone through your transition.

I'm still doing it, but it's succeeding so far, ty!

• Locked thread