Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Doug Ford, brother of literal crackhead alcoholic hatebag former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, got elected and one of his braying points is "bringing back buck a beer"

What does that actually mean? Well the government sets a minimum price beer can be sold for. It was at some point in the past 1.00. It is currently 1.25.

So all BUCK A BEER BUCK A BEER boils down to is wanting to change that minimum from 1.25 to 1.00.

Ps current number of anyone anywhere selling beers for the legal minimum price of 1.25 or even anywhere close: zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One thing that really struck me about Shackleton was how in tune he was to the people under his command and what an effective leader that (plus wisdom) helped make him. It's an ability I both admire and could never hope to emulate.

For example, Frank could endure hardship but was vain. Shackleton therefore always made a point to tell Frank his intended actions and ask for his thoughts before proceeding. Frank was therefore always in the loop / first to know important things. The captain consulted with him, even though he had no leadership burden himself and had no need to know. But it kept Frank's basic needs satisfied.

I do know that when people like Frank don't get the recognition/importance they feel they deserve, they seek it elsewhere which usually means Empire-building and undermining of any existing structure or "rival". That's really not the direction a harrowed mess of people in a survival situation need.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Is that guy an entrepreneur, or did he get leaned on in some way to basically be a mule?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Milo and POTUS posted:

This has been a "promised" perk of the Internet for like... decades now and it never really caught on to the extent it should have.

100% the fault of dumbass employers IMO

Working from home isn't for everyone but the technical barriers to it have been left in the dust long ago

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Goons: anyone who doesn't ditch jury duty is a retard, gently caress that noise lol

Omfg can you believe that jury/verdict: also Goons

See also: voting

thanks for letting me get that off my chest

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't know if it's the same in the USA but in Canada it's illegal for your employer not to give you time off to attend jury duty. The city also pays your parking (if applicable). I learned all this from the orientation video I watched a total of four times :pseudo: Most I ever did was be an understudy on a back-up jury just in case someone on the first one shat the bed.

People without employers legally required to give you the time off (e.g. self-employed, farmer, parents raising kids, etc) to whom attending would be an unfair burden are generally either straight up excused (if they cannot realistically attend) or just plain pushed to the back priority wise (if they could but would really rather not) and not called.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A pipeline is absolutely, positively, as in next place is not even close, the safest and cleanest and most efficient way to move friendship from A to B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Jesus, I realized that all this deportation poo poo isn't happening purely because Trump is a smooth brain pushing openly horrible policies. It's happening also because these agencies are staffed with a critical mass of people who see the new directives, crack their knuckles and go bout time let's git er done *spits* instead of playing super compliance hardball with the orders or other borderline or actual civil disobedience to flagrantly unamerican demands.

• Locked thread