Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yessssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ive always been weirded out by Ohio. Everytime I went there was something loving different.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

*ahem* I believe you mean the BRO NS

This is good.

Also apparently Trump tweeted something along the lines of "yeah the meeting was about getting dirt on clinton but totally legal"

So he admitted what we all assumed.

https://thinkprogress.org/for-the-first-time-trump-confesses-that-his-campaign-turned-to-russia-for-help-1add0c286eba/

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Its happening?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

joat mon posted:

Not until there's some evidence that anyone on the Trump side solicited, accepted, or received dirt on Clinton from the Russians.
The accounts of the meeting (at least the public ones) don't have any of that.

"Russia...if youre listening...release the emails"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bangladesh js loving wild right now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Worse. Dad was a USN officer.

On the other hand I ended up living in San Diego so it wasn't all poo poo.

Growing up in San Diego during the late 80s through 90s was 10/10. Really loving cool.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Apparently a journo who went on Al Jazeera was abducted from his home for interrogation. A group of 30 guys rolled up to his house at 2am.

That AP photographer getting hosed up made me mad as hell.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

I re-watched Children of Men last night for the first time in like 10 years and holy poo poo has it taken on a whole new significance in 2018.

Id rewatch it for that one long rear end sequence alone. The super long uninterrupted 3 minute camera shot was amazing work. For everyone.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Re college sports.

One of the things i learned jn class this semester regarding this thing is basically that the athletics department, and even then only the best sports, gets a lot of money for their program. This is always true in big league schools where you are in a highly sought after conference. A lot of the money comes from media rights and sponsorships. They cannot go full professional model due to lots of regulation. A lot of money is spent to get to that money making league which makes it comeptitive. Look at the WCC which has Gonzaga. Blows just about everyone out of the water. Money is poo poo here. Look at Louisville which got caught bribing players to sign. People have already pointed out that coaches make a shitload of money. In fact, in most states, the highest paid person is a coach.

The money involved is highly regulated which hurts everyone. The money has (as someone pointed out) allowed for gender diversification within sport. Women in sport is a whole crazy weird mess on its own (blame men for this) but money is always short with their teams. Hell, my physical therapist is on the USW Rugby Team and she wouldnt make it playing for country financially.

Money makes sports go around but not moreso than media. Media and sport work, and the lack of money also equates to the lack of media. The media coverage difference between leagues is night and day. Thats largely due to the event itself. Fandom ties in with some stuff but looking at media in general, the more inportant the game, the more its worth. Some podunk team vs Duke will draw higher yields of paying fans than a game versus two mediocre teams. Even if the second game would statistically be better.

College sports is evolving and will continue to do so.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

And will continue to be a leech on actual academic spending, and per the NCAA, the majority of programs operate in the red.

This is true but I wouldnt consider it a leech. Some schools made their name through sports. Granted the majority of programs operate in the red, as you said.

The difference is that popularity of college sport shadows what professional sport is popular. As college sports more resemble professional sports, viewership increases. College Basketball used to be very dull. Three pointers werent a thing, and you could literally score once and then run the clock out for the rest of the game. This was changed and steadily, viewership is on the rise.

The Handbook of Media and Sport or MediaSport by A. Wenner are good looks on the finances of professional sports. The time period we are at with sports points out that because the professional model of sports is limited within colleges, money is available to the few able to compete. Professional sports follows a professional model. A team cannot operate in the red and expect to survive. Universities dont follow that model. The thing that separates work and play from sports is still there, and these kids do work. College sports hinders itself through its regulatory process.

This stuff is really my jam and took classes about sports and media over the summer. Including a current internship at my university.
I love and am interested in sports and sports media. College sports is fun and different than professional sports for sure. So sorry for the walls of text.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

Their name as a school with an athletic program? An academic or research powerhouse that "made their name" as such because of their loving football team? Lol c'mon man

I mean as a reason why students join. Roll tide because they have a great academic and research program? I dont think so. The same reason why athletes arent lining up at Harvard specifically for athletic programs.

Fandom is a large driving force. College football is massive in the south. Many schools are considered for athletic programs and not as much for academia in these regards. The "weight" of their degree pales in comparison to the experience of being there. That is big for fans. The live experience is a large driving force for fandom in general. Some other forces deal with the sense of community or the location of the university.

You can believe whatever you want to though. I get excited talking about this stuff because I live it and breathe it every day. I also hope Im not coming off as eccentric. I also understand that I dont have to convince you to believe me. The two references I had were my books for class. Im sure my professor can give me some others if needed.

Edit: alright whatever. gently caress you guys.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/402351-vet-group-to-hold-5k-race-after-trump-cancels-military-parade

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My late father-in-law had to deal with loyalty politics. He was railroaded out of the military at Major after dedicating his entire life. He refused to swear loyalty. His retirement check was 50 bucks and finally got recognized for service a few years before he passed.

gently caress nepotism and gently caress that brand of loyalty

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I worked at Hooters for a year and a half before Army.

It was bad

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

I worked in the restaurant industry for ~10 years, I think I can count on one hand the number of people (front of house) off the top of my head who didn't abuse drugs and/or alcohol. I'm not one of them.

Right? I had a deal with the bartender where Id give him a meal and he would give me giant To Go cup filled with beer. He would also give me refills. I bought weed off of my coworkers I cant even rememeber how many times.

I never dated a Hooters waitress though. Probably because I had two of my ex's working there when I got hired. They didnt work there when we dated. I did get to party at a gay club with them which was a really loving cool experience as a straight dude.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

killing all old people would solve the housing crisis

just need some lawyers to brush up on squatters rights

No poo poo.

I take my kids swimming a few times a week and these old ladies that were there were telling me about how she owns such and such but its empty because she doesnt want to be a landlord. Meanwhile Im making GBS threads bricks trying to find affordable housing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thats how I know Fox isnt real journalism. You get bad news out early so you control the narrative. If someone finds out, its uncomfortable

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

:lol: That also works.

I brought a bottle of the 16 year to an election watch party. Didn't even bother cracking it open that night :sigh: Just went home, popped a Klonopin and went to bed.

EDIT: Apparently this is Duncan Hunter's Steam profile.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/RealDuncanHunter

Also, he just had an arrest warrant issued against him.
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1032076237982900224

Aka Jew Fission

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh poo poo! What are you gonna do?
My best date involved taking this woman out Go Karting. Funnest date

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Costco has those 5 Litre cans of Hofbrauhaus Oktoberfest beer for like 16 bucks. Just FYI.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mini kegs. 1.25 Gallons of legit Oktoberfest beer brewed in Munich. I dont normally drink but goddamn if it isnt as good as I remember it being.

I also said Litre because thats the normal serving size for a fest/kirwa.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This is how I broke the news to my wife. She laughed but was more concerned about my wheeze laughing than the airpump sex dolphins.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I go half mast every morning

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Trump is basically bullshitting about the trade stuff. He literally has no idea what he's talking about with any of it, so he's trampling over his (actual) good news by slinging it with horseshit.

Which he then proceeds to trample over by being a petulant baby over McCain!

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1034140282361667585?s=19

Hes probably thinking to himself that if he makes eye contact, he might get mugged.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I got one from an Australian 1 star. Thats probably the coolest one. Besides the USAEUR monstrosity and only because people.ask 'what the gently caress is that?'

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Was it the dude in charge of contracting for ISAF around 2013-14? I got his coin and it had a kangaroo on it. Only challenge coin I ever gave a poo poo about.

Not sure. I met him in 16 during Talisman Sabre. He was wondering about my video work and was trying to stand up a public affairs unit that did multimedia journalism. I gave him advice on equipment, community engagement, and other PAO stuff. He gave me a coin after about 15 minutes of talking. Said he was very impressed with my work.

They ended up using most of my advice for equipment selection and strategy for standing up. That feels better than the coin tbh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Didnt he just blame his wife for everything?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Basically always do a special power of attorney iirc. General ones mean anything goes.

I wonder if you can change someones name using one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1035540073427730432?s=19

Turns out "off the record" isn't a magic spell

Yeah. Literally nothing is off the record except your name to authorities if needed.

• Locked thread