Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

can a state charge an individual on a state level offense related to a crime they were federally pardoned for? or does that fall into jeopardy issues

would laugh if the nyag just charges manafort with all the crimes and uses his signed acceptance of the federal pardon as evidence

but i dont think it works like that

Federal pardon couldn't be used as evidence, but if you violate New York state money laundering and wire fraud laws, you're going to Dannemora for 15 years, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soulex posted:

Its happening?

Only when Trump gets dragged out into the street in handcuffs and perp walked.

EDIT:

BigDave fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 5, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'd say Indiana is just as bad, however, there is an alternative universe where Pawnee exists and therefore gives Indiana a slight advantage vis a vis The Worst.

I thought the whole point of Parks and Rec was that Pawnee was boring and didn't have anything special going for it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You can be boring without being awful, the latter of which applies to most of the state of Indiana.

EAGLETON!! :arghfist:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/magazine/paul-ryan-speakership-end-trump.html

NYT Magazine interviewed Paul Ryan. Only gave vague non-committal answers.

quote:

Rubenstein also sprang a question about whether Ryan thought it would be proper for Trump to pardon anyone caught up in the Mueller investigation.

“I’m not going to touch that one,” he said. Rubenstein followed up with a related question about whether Trump should be allowed to pardon himself. Ryan laughed. “I’m good, thanks,” he said, as if he were resisting a plate of hors d’oeuvres — not touching that either.

Rubenstein eventually touched down elsewhere, but the pardon question lingered, at least with me. It came off as a quintessential example of Ryan glibly blowing off what could be a monumental abuse of presidential power and a potentially gigantic crisis. I raised this in the car heading back to the Capitol. His eyes bulged for an instant, as if some defense enzyme had been released.

“I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about that stuff,” Ryan said of the pardon issue.

“Shouldn’t you?” I said. It’s speculative, to a degree, I allowed. “But if you’re not going to touch that, who is?”

“I don’t think he’s going to do things like that,” Ryan said of Trump.

“He already has,” I said, referring to Trump’s pardoning of lawbreaking allies (Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Dinesh D’Souza).

“No, I’m talking about firing and things like that,” Ryan said.

Trump has already done that too (James Comey) and has reportedly wanted to fire Mueller on at least two occasions. “My point is,” Ryan said, “and I’ve said it all along, Mueller should be able to do his job.”

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Jokers Gamble posted:

"I owe your dad, he saved my life in Nam..."

"During 'Nam"

"A barracks in Conneticut in the late 60's was a dangerous place!"

I thought the California guard was the place to be for rich white kids in the 60's.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Are you ready for a global financial crisis?!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.8e782d170d9e

quote:

Turkey’s plight deepened on Monday as the lira fell to new lows and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s refusal to abandon his unorthodox economic policies left investors fearing a new global financial crisis.

Turkey and other countries that borrowed freely when dollars were plentiful and cheap now face soaring debt payments they may no longer be able to make.

Such worries mounted as the plunging lira dragged down currencies in developing countries such as South Africa, Argentina, Mexico and Indonesia.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Syrian Lannister posted:

From the OSHA thread

:stare:

Jesus, that's worse then the I-35 bridge.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Should I feel terrible about working in the natural gas sector? It's union work and pays well but the world is dying 😬

Would the world be dying less if you didn't work in LNG?

The worlds is dying a smoggy death, and there really isn't anything I can do about it. Might as well enjoy some good fish and booze while I still can.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Chichevache posted:

So.... strippers?

More like hookers.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
The Hooters at Mall of America usually seemed fairly nice and well lit, but I never understood the appeal of it.

We get it, the waitress have big tits. Why is this the entire theme of a restaurant.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Anyone want to :toxx: for a verdict?

$20 animal shelter donation on Manafort to be convicted.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Immanentized posted:

I'll put $25 down to the local humane society that he gets at least some prison time. $100 if he gets off clean.

I'll match that.

$25 to the doggos if he gets convicted, $100 on a acquittal, $50 on a mistrial.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Jury dismissed for the day, no vote. :(

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/michael_hendrix/status/1031549858736472064?s=21

What if we eliminated taxes... but only for old people?!

Remind me again why boomers hate their children.

"THAT'S RIGHT, I'M HORDING ALL MY MONEY AND NOT PAYING A DIME TO ANYONE!!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

boop the snoot posted:

I have never done jury duty. I think I was summoned once when I was like 20 but never did anything about it and never heard about it again.

I got summoned to Federal jury duty, but after filling out the questionnaire, never heard back.

Too bad, I could've used a few weeks off from work.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/JoshMargolin/status/1031958700477562880?s=09

COHEN PLED GUILTY

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Manafort got 8 guilty convictions? That's worth $25.

Cohen plead guilty to election fraud? That's worth another $25.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

the pup part is cool, i just don't keep a toxx.xls or anything

Toxx_for_pups.xlsx

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Democratic party cannot get 66 senators no matter what this fall, so unless some republicans cross the aisle he won't be removed from office even if impeached by the house.

And the GOP won't cross the aisle to convict Trump, even if the :pisstape: gets released to CNN.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

82% casualty rate on 2nd day of Gettysburg, no way in gently caress are we giving that flag back.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:stare:

Ok I’m starting to get behind the tertiary syphilis narrative.

When he transitions to full blown word salad, then I'll be convinced.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Steezo posted:

Still waiting to see he pulls a moral bankruptcy like Nixon. What are the odds on him at some point saying, "I am not a crook."?

THE BEST CROOKS

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nice and hot piss posted:

Can we please just have the housing market and economy take a massive poo poo so that enough people will realize that he's just not good at anything?

all the MAGA "owning the libtards with mah hat" people I work with are starting to come around with the notion that he's not really good when it comes to being a president EXCEPT the economy. They say that he's doing amazing things for us 'mericans and OH MR PISS HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE STOCK MARKET IT'S DOING SO WELL. Explaining to them that the stock market isn't a recollection of how well the actual economy is doing doesn't connect in their brains.

I guess it's just a selfish thing in my mind that I too, want them to be owned that their president is a dumb piece of poo poo and has done nothing to really benefit the general population of the United States.

It's coming. The housing market is hot enough to supernova, wages are stagnant, the Fed is increasing interest rates, White People are Renovating Houses, the credit default rate is starting to increase.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

Dr. Sexcake already slipped up and acknowledged the hair pills.

Hair pills? You mean like Rogane?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Man those brain worms must be pissed.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zeroisanumber posted:

Marry her you idiot.

Also gently caress you if you don't like Hennessy.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

did he just murder one of his voting blocs

Not just murdered it, drowned it in a toilet and dumped the body in the street.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Seekhay posted:

At this point, I’m half expecting that my upcoming citizenship oath ceremony to be an elaborate ruse and everyone gets deported.

Don't give Jeff Sessions any ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought shatter was australian for meth. Or was that shard. gently caress if I can remember.

'shatter' sounds like the name of a punk ska band, and 'shard' sounds like the name of a alt-rock club.

• Locked thread