Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When you're talking a serious amount of money a lot of people stop being able to comprehend what that looks like. It's not even necessarily a lot of money either, in the scheme of things.

I've never seen what an Ostrich coat looks like. I didn't even know that was a thing that people owned outside of industrial revolution era factory barons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
One of the PHS officers I work with used to be AF and got assigned to Thule. He got out of it by...becoming PHS.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've always pronounced it Thuul. I don't care if it's wrong.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would have preferred if Manafort could be allowed to defend his purchases if he busted into a song, but it's probably hard to make lyrics that fit in 'ostrich jacket'.

Court is really missing out on a golden opportunity.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm on some kind of hellish mailing list where the Pentagon Force Protection Agency sends me notices about every goddamn post in NCR doing things. Oh the phone lines at the Pentagon are down from 12am-2am tomorrow. Oh there's an active shooter drill at Meade. Oh there's a fire drill at WRNMMC. I seem to be the only one for my office that is subscribed to everything and I'm convinced that whoever the exchange guy is happened to remember me from 15 years ago to gently caress with me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's kind of a semi-big deal for the region because the Druze are spread over Israel/Syria/Lebanon (mostly) and loving with them is ill advised. They largely want to be left alone, so rocking the boat is probably not the best idea.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ah yes, the town that found out that taxation is not in fact theft.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's a shame too because the springs and the surrounding areas are absolutely gorgeous. It's just a chud refuge.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I too believe an organization that has gone to great lengths to hide the extent of their money is magically claiming they no longer have any.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I also completely forgot for a minute that the new CEO is Ollie-loving-North.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
wow the springs really is a libertarian magnet

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i have never doubted the piss tape

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
can a state charge an individual on a state level offense related to a crime they were federally pardoned for? or does that fall into jeopardy issues

would laugh if the nyag just charges manafort with all the crimes and uses his signed acceptance of the federal pardon as evidence

but i dont think it works like that

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yeah i'm just imagining manafort sitting in a nyc courthouse and the lawyer being like 'mr manafort did you do all these crimes' 'no' 'then why did you accept a pardon and admit to all these crimes' and then manafort using the chili defense unsuccessfully

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Gen-X is just as bad if not worse than the Boomers, as they're more conservative on a whole. Most of your real shits in congress are Gen-X, and it'll only get worse as THEY get older.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's different standards for what constitutes a specific generation.

It's best to think of them as "what major events / time periods were the defining period of their early adulthood"

Lost Generation = WW1
Greatest Generation = WW2
Silent Generation = Post-WW2/Early Cold War
Boomers = Vietnam
Generation X = Reagan
Generation Y / MILLENNIALS = Post-Desert Storm, 9/11, GWOT
Generation Z / "Digital Natives" = GWOT, Great Recession

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The judge is an old school ballbuster that insists the prosecution tries absolutely no funny business and sticks to their case. Basically this is the best option in the event the special council tries and pull a Bundy - i.e. goes for the flashy dunk and misses it when they could've done a layup and made it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's probably a sliding scale on how in shape you have to be to stand in body armor under whatever temperature.

110-115 degrees with full battle rattle? Yeah that's easy enough (*cough loving kill me*) when you're in the best shape of your life and practically carved out of wood.

I don't think these guys are.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
psh it was only like a mile inland

who needs maps anyway when you've got a lieutenant on the spot

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Story time please :allears:

Vasudus posted:

Being an Engineer on the Iraq/Syria border means a lot of border construction. We had a huge, huge AO and we were responsible for building a 15 foot berm between Iraq/Syria to prevent smugglers, allegedly. Since being inside dozers and ACEs in 120 degree heat is an excuse to have heat casualties, most of the work we would do was at dusk into the night.

So we're out building a berm at a new site at like 0200 and something isn't right. The paper maps had us right were we were supposed to be. The FBCB2 had us about a mile on the wrong side of the border. My XO, believing himself to be the second coming of Patton himself, said that we were fine and to continue on mission. This was his project, after all.

About 0230 rolls around and my gunner says

'uh...SGT Vasudus, a BMP is the wheeled ruskie APC right?'
'...no, why?'
'so what's wheeled with a 50 on it?'
'...that's a BRDM...are you studying for the board or something?'
'see those lights way out to the west? like 50 of those BRDM things are coming right for us'

Welp.

I immediately hop up there and look down the nightvision scope to see what the christ he was talking about. Sure as poo poo, there was a huge fuckoff wheeled and light track force heading for us at high speed. At least two whole company+ sized elements.

I tell my XO that we're on the wrong side of the border and the Syrians aren't very happy about it. He says they're wrong and we'll be fine, and he's gonna call in some air support to scare them off. He relays his coordinates and my TOC informs him that the FBCB2 is correct.

XO comes screaming over the radio 'PACK YOUR poo poo! PACK YOUR poo poo! WE'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BORDER'

So we quickly left this half finished berm project and immediately left the area back to Iraq.

I posted this in 2012. The event itself happened in 2005 long before any of the ISIS shenanigans. Said LT is now a civilian high up in the Pepsi corporation that his daddy got him a job.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lol that's gold. How in the hell would a berm stop smugglers anyway :psyduck:

It largely wouldn't, it was mostly window dressing and keeping people from just straight up walking over. Our solution has always been to just pop a tank nearby and have thermals spot them way out. But we didn't really have the equipment to spare, and we needed something that the Iraqis could do presumably if we left.

The borders there are a goddamn nightmare of crisscrossing rocks, streams, and crevices that the maps do not do proper justice. So it was also trying to standardize the concept of 'hey dipshits, use the border checkpoint'.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
there was some politician recently (not TRUMP) that was like 'hey, the majority of our astronauts are from Ohio <crowd cheers> what's wrong with this state to the point they want to leave the planet? <crowd mumbles>

i forgot the exact details of it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
no

this will just get put into the collection of 'things the president has said on twitter' and be forgotten about

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
manafort is a crime elemental, a golem made of smaller, lesser crimes

the voltron of crimes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
North California chuds that are mad they can't divert all the river water to their fields, which would pretty much nuke the multi-billion dollar fishing industry in the process.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Mine didn't want to bring Arab babies into America, even though they would be half.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://mobile.twitter.com/Popehat/status/1026843794753314817

Popehat isn't concerned.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm sorry but 'Suck my dick, you fuckman' will be the all time greatest thing ever said in court.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Guess we better nationalize all social media and regulate it like a utility.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

This but unironically.

i wasn't being ironic :ssh:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't forget also that Jeong was targeted in the first place for a lot of harassment because she's a minority woman that writes articles about tech, and tech is the worst culture. So calling out tech stuff as garbage gets you a target on your back.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't worry, Yemen will stabilize pretty soon when everyone dies of famine or dehydration.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Climate refugee crises are going to be wild.

It's all fun and games until like 200m people have to relocate before 2055 as most of the arid parts of the equator become completely uninhabitable for 9 months of the year.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it has to pass congress

looking forward to the tweets saying that obstructionist democratic congress is weak on space

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I always found that the statement 'technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic' to have a corollary: technology that is sufficiently understood will be utilized by idiots.

See: Starcraft 1 intro video.

Except I don't think space flight is anywhere near that level yet. We still kinda have to send insanely smart people up there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
She's also said she won't vote for Pelosi as speaker, so they can't use that as a boogeyman either.

It's a shame that republicans don't believe in evolution, because this is evolution in action. The antibiotic resistant tuberculosis of leftist politics, brought about because of such a hostile environment.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
While I don't necessarily want term limits (it'll never pass anyway) there's a lot to be said about how many old fuckers there are in congress. Like 80 years should be the cutoff, meaning 74 for the Senate and 78 for the house. Not that it would have mattered since it's Orrin-loving-Hatch, but when he downplayed some economic thing (I forgot what, it was like 4 months ago / 80 years in TRUMP dimension) by saying he worked as a janitor to pay for law school I wanted to scream. Yes yes he would have just said something else. So many tech related things are failing to be properly regulated because three quarters of congress were adults before the invention of the goddamn transistor. We don't have to go all Logan's Run on things, but there needs to be way less people making decisions that have considerable impact on the future when they won't even be alive to see it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Pelosi needs to step aside because she represents one of the richest congressional districts in the country, has lovely opinions, and has failed to adapt to the changes in the country. She's a lovely centrist obsessed with decorum, just like Schumer. She is most assuredly a good speaker in the sense that she can control the caucus and such.

I say this as a former lovely centrist democrat that was forced to evolve my views in light of the last two years.

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just as soon as we pass campaign finance laws that have actual teeth and overturn Citizens United.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gonna laugh if turkey expels all military over us cratering their economy

• Locked thread