Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The government is thinking about providing subsidies to the prop up the failing print media. So much for the free market :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol maybe if they were held to any sort of journalistic standards I'd be on board but if they start giving tax payer money to the heil and express and sun as is, then gently caress that

although weaning them onto government support and then whipping away their lifeline after they're dependent sounds like a decent plan

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

The government is thinking about providing subsidies to the prop up the failing print media. So much for the free market :lol:

Watch all the right wind pundits go on about what an amazing and necessary idea this why while labeling every interaction of a left wing state with 'Pravda! State propaganda!'

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Creating a system where print media runs off government money completely destroys any pretence this country has of a free press anyway.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Rarity posted:

lmao no conflicts of interest here no sir

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

Creating a system where print media runs off government money completely destroys any pretence this country has of a free press anyway.

But.. But.. The BBC!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Verizian posted:

What if we just make Hodges do a panto where he's mock hanged every night? Full safety gear on the noose so it catches on hooks in his costume, firing squad with blanks, electric chair that plays fart noises and sprays brown water out of the seat while the lights flicker. Top it all off with a crowd who cheer and throw nuts at him, three shows a night, five nights a week, proceeds go to good causes like housing the homeless and medicine for refugees.

All the visceral fun of a bloodthirsty crowd watching a live execution and none of the guilt. A full year of that should be adequate punishment.

I step or two further and you have White Bear, and that point - I’m on board.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

If it were delayed enough that it opened after her death that would be more, not less, appropriate.
Naming something in memory of someone still alive is the silly anachronism already

True, we already have a Victoria Line.

Mind you if the Victorians had had access to PFI and had named a line after her that would probably have opened in the sixties too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Also because I can't be bothered typing it out twice or even editing in some capital letters to the too-cool-for-school house style), here's a post I made in yospos about what I understand the cause of the delay with Crossrail to be:

oh they absolutely did - crossrail is actually three different systems, one new (the tunnel from paddington to abbey wood) and two old (liverpool street to shenfield, an existing commuter rail line, and paddington to maidenhead, running on a combination of exiting main line, suburban, and freight lines)

the logical thing to do would of course be to standardise both signalling and power across all three of these - they did this for the power (although the western section also retains third-rail electrification because it's shared with other lines), so avoided the bullshit we have with the channel tunnel where trains wanting to run a through-service have to have two or even three different power systems, logging around redundant switchgear and transformers, because we didn't want to put overhead electrification on hs1), but they decided not to upgrade the signalling because network rail (who still own the eastern and western sections) didn't want the other train companies bitching about it - a lot of them have only just got round to upgrading from the victorian signaling systems that have caused dozens of crashes and thousands of delays.

this is despite the fact that network rail *are* upgrading to etms but not for a few years yet, and the western section will get upgraded years before the eastern - so tfl decided to order trains capable of using both etms and the older tpms, a special order for what were until that point off-the-shelf trains.

then they decided that they didn't want to use etms for the underground section, because nobody's used it for metro-frequency applications before (despite the fact it's designed with that use in mind) so they decided to use the cbtc system used on the jubilee line and planned for rollout across the rest of the underground, so now you have a third system in use which (again allegedly) won't integrate properly with the other two leading to massive potential safety problems like trains using the "wrong" system and continuing blithely on when they see a red signal on one system but not the others.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/reel_politcast/status/1035630804951543809

This is a "funny in hindsight" thing.

"Caitlin Moran

Author and Columnist for The Times"

Definitely the words you'd associate with the left.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Miftan posted:

Pro tip: just dip a cucumber in it. Also works in slices, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1U9m9BMzs

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol that list is almost entirely a who's who of suspect centrists who's careers were destroyed inside of a year

personal highlights are Owen smith, all the bad 2015 leadership candidates and Simon danczuk

bonus lol for lutfur Rahman

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

If it works, it works.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The names are funny but my biggest laugh was "a strong opponent in Justice Secretary Chris Grayling"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

WhatEvil posted:

Cottage cheese is bad UNTIL you start going to the gym and lifting weights and then your body legit starts craving completely different food. Cottage cheese is amazing when you're building muscle because it's healthy protein and goes with everything and you actually start craving it.

i'm never going to the gym ever again, in fear of what i might become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao Chris Grayling.

On that note, new thread.

• Locked thread