Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

eh I'll get the main rulebook for this one because I like the changes from 2e and worst case I'll still have the excellent 2e material to use in my games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say it's less fiddly then 2e right now.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Okay, what the gently caress is this: my physical copy of the core book is straight up missing pages. A play in three acts:

After page 136 the book suddenly jumps back to page 129.

After page 136 2.0 were suddenly greeted by page 153.

Once we hit page 160 we do another warp back in time and read the whole thing again starting from page 153.

Summa summarum, pages 137 to 152 are completely missing and instead we got this loving mess. Guess I'm gonna have to contact Cubicle and see if they'll send me a book that I can actually use.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lol hell yeah dude, that's the warhammer role-playing experience I know

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Tzeentch strikes again.

Very appropriate text too: We're doomed. Embezzle. Misfires!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Reading through the PDF (which luckily has all the pages) and giving my opinion on the Dodge chat on the last page I'm quite sure that you can't Dodge ranged attacks unless they're at point blank. The text specifically says that ranged attacks are unopposed and the defender can't get any Advantage from it.

You can only oppose ranged attacks in three circumstances: either you have a shield with a rating of 2 or higher and the attack is in your line of sight (as per the shield rules) which allows you to oppose the attack with melee skills, the attack is made from point blank which allows you to oppose with Dodge, or the attacker is using a pistol while engaged which again allows you to oppose with melee skills.

The idea behind this is most likely to make ranged attacks an easy way of stopping someones advantage train from getting too much speed, since you lose all your advantage if you lose wounds and all attacks that hit always deal minimum 1 damage.

This also means that most ranged attacks are hit-or-miss deals, whereas with melee you can still hit even if you fail your test as long as the dude youre fighting failed harder. No such luck with ranged tests since theyre unopposed (and therefore theres no chance of your target getting more negative success levels than you). You also dont lose any advantage you have from missing with a ranged attack since you can only lose it from losing an Opposed Test (which ranged specifically isnt).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HerraS posted:

Reading through the PDF (which luckily has all the pages) and giving my opinion on the Dodge chat on the last page I'm quite sure that you can't Dodge ranged attacks unless they're at point blank. The text specifically says that ranged attacks are unopposed and the defender can't get any Advantage from it.

You can only oppose ranged attacks in three circumstances: either you have a shield with a rating of 2 or higher and the attack is in your line of sight (as per the shield rules) which allows you to oppose the attack with melee skills, the attack is made from point blank which allows you to oppose with Dodge, or the attacker is using a pistol while engaged which again allows you to oppose with melee skills.

The idea behind this is most likely to make ranged attacks an easy way of stopping someones advantage train from getting too much speed, since you lose all your advantage if you lose wounds and all attacks that hit always deal minimum 1 damage.

This also means that most ranged attacks are hit-or-miss deals, whereas with melee you can still hit even if you fail your test as long as the dude youre fighting failed harder. No such luck with ranged tests since theyre unopposed (and therefore theres no chance of your target getting more negative success levels than you). You also dont lose any advantage you have from missing with a ranged attack since you can only lose it from losing an Opposed Test (which ranged specifically isnt).

nope, you're misreading it and paraphrasing things in a way that leads to misleading conclusions - once again it does not say ranged attack rolls are "unopposed," it simply says you cannot use (capital M) Melee Skills to oppose them unless a few fairly logical conditions apply (i.e. if you've got a big enough shield to block arrows/bullets, or if you're at point blank range and can disrupt an enemies aim by maneuvering and threatening to stab them)

Melee Skill (capitalized) is a pretty specific system thing and entirely separate from Dodge, which is its own unrelated skill (except insofar as they can be used in similar situations in combat)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LGD posted:

nope, you're misreading it and paraphrasing things in a way that leads to misleading conclusions - once again it does not say ranged attack rolls are "unopposed," it simply says you cannot use (capital M) Melee Skills to oppose them unless a few fairly logical conditions apply (i.e. if you've got a big enough shield to block arrows/bullets, or if you're at point blank range and can disrupt an enemies aim by maneuvering and threatening to stab them)

Melee Skill (capitalized) is a pretty specific system thing and entirely separate from Dodge, which is its own unrelated skill (except insofar as they can be used in similar situations in combat)

It says when you can oppose them however and what you can do to oppose them. In situations other than that, they are unopposed.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

It says when you can oppose them however and what you can do to oppose them. In situations other than that, they are unopposed.

simply not true

Page 160 posted:

There are some extra considerations that apply to ranged attacks:

*Ranged attacks cannot be opposed with Melee Skills unless you have a large enough shield (see page 298), or if they are at Point Blank range (see page 297), where it is also allowable to Dodge.

that's a restriction on using Melee Skill [X] to oppose ranged attacks, and certain exceptions to that rule - it is in no way a general prohibition on using other skills (including Dodge) to oppose a ranged attack

e: or to put it another way:
when a goblin shoots at you from medium range, the goblin is making a Dramatic Test to try to harm you
"hey, I'd like to not get shot!"
the rules make it pretty clear that (unless you have a shield) you can't use your amazing weapon skills to oppose getting an arrow stuck in you
they don't say anything about the applicability of other skills - and while using something like Intimidate to throw the Goblin's aim off may be a question of GM fiat, under normal circumstances it's really hard to imagine why Dodge, the skill that explicitly describes "your ability to avoid things, through ducking, diving, and moving quickly, and is used extensively to sidestep falling rocks, incoming weapons, unexpected traps, and the like" wouldn't be an applicable choice to oppose the Goblin's dramatic test

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 16, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LGD posted:

simply not true

that's a restriction on using Melee Skill [X] to oppose ranged attacks, and certain exceptions to that rule - it is in no way a general prohibition on using other skills (including Dodge) to oppose a ranged attack

e: or to put it another way:
when a goblin shoots at you from medium range, the goblin is making a Dramatic Test to try to harm you
"hey, I'd like to not get shot!"
the rules make it pretty clear that (unless you have a shield) you can't use your amazing weapon skills to oppose getting an arrow stuck in you
they don't say anything about the applicability of other skills - and while using something like Intimidate to throw the Goblin's aim off may be a question of GM fiat, under normal circumstances it's really hard to imagine why Dodge, the skill that explicitly describes "your ability to avoid things, through ducking, diving, and moving quickly, and is used extensively to sidestep falling rocks, incoming weapons, unexpected traps, and the like" wouldn't be an applicable choice to oppose the Goblin's dramatic test

The same quote you pasted also states dodge is used in point blank range.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

The same quote you pasted also states dodge is used in point blank range.

nope, that's just an additional restriction on using melee at Point Blank ranges

you're wildly over-extrapolating from slightly awkward wording to imply dodge doesn't apply despite nothing stating that to be the case, nothing stating that Ranged attacks are generally not able to be opposed, and that interpretation very obviously contradicting the way the rest of the system works

read that section again: you'll observe there's no wording about Ranged attacks somehow becoming Opposed Tests, and no provision for the system handling ranged attacks in those circumstances differently - there's no need to do that because Ranged attacks fundamentally work just like any other Dramatic Test that directly affects other characters (meaning it can be opposed by any relevant/applicable skill)

Melee Skill(s) are noted as being restricted against ranged attacks, with that restriction being lifted in fairly proscribed circumstances
other skills (including Dodge) are not noted as being restricted in any way, and while the applicability of other skills can vary dude to circumstance/plausibility/GM fiat, the near-universal applicability of the "don't get hit" skill should be fairly self-evident

(I'll also say that even if you somehow feel this is "ambiguous" [and you absolutely shouldn't], don't care about how it worked under previous editions, etc., I think the fact that the "you can dodge ranged attacks" interpretation is the one that avoids creating an obvious massive balance issue between melee and ranged should cause you to favor it)

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The one tying himself into knots and not understanding what they're reading is you.

Page 158 says that to make a melee attack, you roll an Opposed Melee test with your opponent.

Right after that it says that to make a ranged attack you roll a Ranged test. Please note that it specifically tells you that this is not an Opposed test despite you claiming the opposite.

Hell, you're even given a box going into detail about the different ways you can oppose melee attacks. Later it then lists the circumstances in which you can oppose ranged attacks with your Melee skills or Dodge.

Throughout the book the text is consistent in when you need to roll an Opposed test to do things and when you roll just a regular/dramatic test. Why you keep insisting that they suddenly dropped this when describing ranged attacks is beyond me (besides 'uhhh you could dodge them in 2e!').

Hell, on page 338 the description for Breath attacks makes sure to tell you that it is an Opposed Ballistic Skill/Dodge test.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 16, 2018

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Welp, this became a double post.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 16, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My gm says a ranged attack is opposed, for what it's worth.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HerraS posted:

The one tying himself into knots and not understanding what they're reading is you.

Page 158 says that to make a melee attack, you roll an Opposed Melee test with your opponent.

Right after that it says that to make a ranged attack you roll a Ranged test. Please note that it specifically tells you that this is not an Opposed test despite you claiming the opposite.

Hell, you're even given a box going into detail about the different ways you can oppose melee attacks. Later it then lists the circumstances in which you can oppose ranged attacks with your Melee skills or Dodge.

Throughout the book the text is consistent in when you need to roll an Opposed test to do things and when you roll just a regular/dramatic test. Why you keep insisting that they suddenly dropped this when describing ranged attacks is beyond me (besides 'uhhh you could dodge them in 2e!').

Hell, on page 338 the description for Breath attacks makes sure to tell you that it is an Opposed Ballistic Skill/Dodge test.

page 158 describes melee attacks as being an opposed melee vs. melee test and does not make any note re: the possibility of using other skills to do that - it is describing the default method of handling melee attacks, and then a callout box on the subsequent page notes that yes you can use other skills to oppose the melee attack (because attack rolls are just dramatic tests and applicable skills/opposition varies by circumstance)

page 159 describes the method for ranged attacks - it does describe making an unopposed test (because like the description on 158 its a short summary of the default method) but it very much does not tell you that the test is something that cannot be opposed

then page 160 has notes on additional considerations for Ranged combat:

160 posted:

Ranged attacks cannot be opposed with Melee Skills unless you have a large enough shield (see page 298), or if they are at Point Blank range (see page 297), where it is also allowable to Dodge
if you cannot oppose ranged attacks then this wording is completely superfluous and/or does nothing anyway because the test still remains unopposed - this doesn't tell you to alter the procedure for handling ranged attacks, note that the only way to convert a ranged attack into an opposed test is by doing these things, etc., it's worded to put restrictions on the applicability of a specific skill group that otherwise would always be a relevant/valid choice to oppose a ranged attack (as with melee attacks, Melee [Fist] is pretty much always an option if nothing else is to hand), and then lifts those restrictions when certain criteria are met

Dodge has no such restriction placed on it because it's emphatically not a Melee Skill and is therefore almost always an appropriate candidate to oppose a ranged attack (unless you can't move or something)

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 16, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It would be nice if they clarified it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It would be nice if they clarified it.

I think we can all agree with that - its weird that they haven't because its a very easy yes/no question and quite central to the combat system

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

If your argument is just going to boil down to 'the book doesnt specifically say you cant do this thing so therefore youre allowed to do it' I'm just going to wait for the errata to get released five years from now.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HerraS posted:

If your argument is just going to boil down to 'the book doesnt specifically say you cant do this thing so therefore youre allowed to do it' I'm just going to wait for the errata to get released five years from now.

that's not what it boils down to - I'm saying ranged attacks work like normal dramatic tests and can be opposed/interacted with flexibly like the rest of the system ("Ranged Test" is inclusive of opposed ranged tests), while you're saying that when it says "roll a Ranged Test" on page 159 that solely means "roll an unopposed test"

that second interpretation is directly contradicted by the wording on page 160, while the first interpretation is supported by it - page 160 puts specific restrictions on the use of Melee Skills to oppose ranged attack tests (which implies they can be generally opposed), it doesn't change the resolution mechanism (because there is no need to do so)

you're reading page 159 in a very inflexible manner but then not following that approach through to its natural conclusion (that you can't ever oppose ranged attacks) by treating the wording on page 160 as a fuzzy rules-as-intended thing where ranged attacks sometimes become Opposed Tests but only-ever-in-these-circumstances despite the wording on page 160 describing no such thing, the section on page 160/161 making more precise employment of game terminology, and page 159 coming in a section that was already demonstrated to be fast-and-loose in describing how things are to actually be handled in play in the melee attack section (creating the need for the "Opposing a Melee Attack" sidebar, which isn't a delineated list of approved defensive options, but something pointing out that melee attacks work flexibly like other dramatic tests)

the "you can oppose ranged attacks, especially with Dodge" interpretation is consistent with how the game approaches melee attacks and dramatic interactions generally, the actual written text, how the game used to work, how the "game reality" should intuitively work, and what plays well/doesn't result in broken mechanics

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 16, 2018

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
... yeah imma stick with 3e

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There we go. Cubicle 7 finally released the free adventure scenarios

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/259270/WFRP-Ubersreik-Adventures--If-Looks-Could-Kill

Oh along with a remake of an older one

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...43-bqZBVeZ8D6ro

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 29, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Cool, thanks for the heads-up; I'm not sure I would have discovered these otherwise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another adventure https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/260781/WFRP--Adventures-Afoot-in-the-Reikland?affiliate_id=169435

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Holy poo poo is advantage broken as hell, especially when combined with surprise. Charging someone from surprise immediately gets you 3 ranks of advantage for +30 to opposed rolls, meaning that fight is basically over unless you're facing people with ranged weapons to remove it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Piell posted:

unless you're facing people with ranged weapons to remove it.
We're finding that our ranged characters are invaluable for just that reason, in fact, in our first adventure our bow shooting elf countered an assassin coming out of stealth exactly as you described.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Piell posted:

Holy poo poo is advantage broken as hell, especially when combined with surprise. Charging someone from surprise immediately gets you 3 ranks of advantage for +30 to opposed rolls, meaning that fight is basically over unless you're facing people with ranged weapons to remove it.

Yeah, unless you're playing a class like Duelist that gets lots of talents to gently caress with it, Advantage is pretty broken. My DM decided to cap Advantage at +3, and I do think that helps with some balancing issues.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think just having ranged opponents is enough. Like the big momentum that advantage gives is part of the point of the system.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think just having ranged opponents is enough. Like the big momentum that advantage gives is part of the point of the system.

A battle between two roughly equally matched opponents comes down almost entirely to whoever gets advantage first, because it snowballs. Even significant differences in skill can quickly be entirely overwhelmed by Advantage very quickly. For example, let's say Person A charges Person B. They get a stack of advantage, meaning they are more likely to succeed on the attack. Now they have two stacks of advantage. Person B attacks back, but because Person A has +20 to defend themselves they'll probably win. Now Person A has 3 stacks of advantage. This will happen more often than not. Someone who has 9 fewer points in characteristics (other than initiative) is statistically more likely to win a fight as long as they can go first and charge.

Just as an example, in a PbP game I'm in, its looking like the combatants are going to be rapidly split between the people who have 3-4 ranks of advantage and are near-invincible gods because they went first, and those without advantage who are just going to be left flailing.

IMO, advantage should either be removed entirely and just be replaced with "a +10 bonus on the roll", or be limited to gaining 1 rank per turn.

Edit: It is quite possible that an even moderately combat focused character could beat a Bloodthirster of Khorne scale combatant as long as the Bloodthirster is surprised.

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 11, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So does this thing really release tomorrow at FLGS? Haven't heard anything about it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Piell posted:

IMO, advantage should either be removed entirely and just be replaced with "a +10 bonus on the roll", or be limited to gaining 1 rank per turn.

Edit: It is quite possible that an even moderately combat focused character could beat a Bloodthirster of Khorne scale combatant as long as the Bloodthirster is surprised.

Yeah, I agree with you. I understand the reason they added Advantage is because WFRP combat between low level characters could go on for a while with everyone missing their hits and this makes the combat move faster with the low base roll under values, but it scales very poorly. This whiffing is an inherent problem of d100 systems in general.

My group plays WFRP with a lot of house-rules and we updated a bunch of stuff with 4E (I like how you cast spells better in this edition, for one), and one rule we added was to allow players to flip their rolls to succeed at a cost, because our experience with other systems taught us that failing forward is fun. It has the benefit of dramatically improving the odds of success in the 30-60 region most PC's will be, so we've been satisfied with the results at the table.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, unless you're playing a class like Duelist that gets lots of talents to gently caress with it, Advantage is pretty broken. My DM decided to cap Advantage at +3, and I do think that helps with some balancing issues.

You know it already has a cap, right?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Jack B Nimble posted:

You know it already has a cap, right?

No it doesn't, the only part that mentions a cap on advantage is in the optional sidebar.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My bad, apparently advantage capping by initiative is not rules as written.

Edit: Yeah I talked to my GM and he said it's the optional rule on p. 164, he (we) like it because it helps keep initiative from being a dump stat.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 11, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Piell posted:

A battle between two roughly equally matched opponents comes down almost entirely to whoever gets advantage first, because it snowballs. Even significant differences in skill can quickly be entirely overwhelmed by Advantage very quickly. For example, let's say Person A charges Person B. They get a stack of advantage, meaning they are more likely to succeed on the attack. Now they have two stacks of advantage. Person B attacks back, but because Person A has +20 to defend themselves they'll probably win. Now Person A has 3 stacks of advantage. This will happen more often than not. Someone who has 9 fewer points in characteristics (other than initiative) is statistically more likely to win a fight as long as they can go first and charge.

Just as an example, in a PbP game I'm in, its looking like the combatants are going to be rapidly split between the people who have 3-4 ranks of advantage and are near-invincible gods because they went first, and those without advantage who are just going to be left flailing.

And if you get hit by a ranged attack all the advantage goes away. Cause normally your advantage won't help against that. That fact that advantage can be so easily canceled out, is part of what makes it an interesting mechanic to me.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 11, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

MonsterEnvy posted:

And if you get hit by a ranged attack all the advantage goes away. Cause normally your advantage won't help against that. That fact that advantage can be so easily canceled out, is part of what makes it an interesting mechanic to me.

Except now every combat requires multiple ranged attackers focused on not allowing advantage to balloon to ridiculous levels? Not to mention there are numerous types of enemies that rarely use ranged weapons.

It just leads to a lot of ridiculous scenarios, like the best way to beat a strong enemy is to stand in front of a bunch of weak enemies first and then punch the big enemy with a mega stack of advantage such that it's impossible for you to fail and you one shot them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pretty much any enemy can be armed with a sling. Anyway guess we will agree to disagree.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Piell posted:

It just leads to a [...] mega stack of advantage
Or to 2-4ish advantage if you use the optional rule on page 164, which you may want to do if this bothers you. I dont actually have my rulebook in front of me, it's at the house we game at, but if it works the way I think it does it should help with your problems.

Also I find it's hard to melee huge dangerous monsters anyway because of the reach mechanic.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
wtf halflings don't get to do anything fun. can't do anything religious, can't do magic all the fun stuff is blocked off.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mycroft Holmes posted:

wtf halflings don't get to do anything fun. can't do anything religious, can't do magic all the fun stuff is blocked off.

aren't they immune to corruption though?

actually, on second thought that's another fun thing they can't participate in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I've been thinking more about the way different institutions interact in The Empire, specifically regarding how magic use is handled. The Sigmarites seem to oppose it entirely and would probably burn every magic user if they were allowed, but obviously the Colleges of Magic are quite powerful and have other ideas. This lead me to write a quick little adventure hook.

A landlord contacts the PCs. Recently, one of his tenants disappeared into thin air, along with the entire home. This was of course immediately noticed by everyone in town and there are now several groups searching for the man. The Church of Sigmar suspects chaos magic is involved and wish to locate the home and "interview" the tenant. The Colleges of Magic feel similarly, though, unknown to the PCs they seek to recruit the man into their ranks. The landlord is seeking back rent as well as damages and would like to find the man before the others do as he suspects it will be difficult to collect on these debts after the Sigmarites are done with him.

As this conversation is finishing, word comes that the house has been spotted atop one of the nearby Hagercryb mountains and the race is on!