Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Chaos gets your soul and demons eat it/use it to make cool weapons/armor or to fuel hellcannons and similar things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torquemada posted:

A question about souls. As I currently understand it, human souls pass through Morr's gate after death, never to return? If you, uh, 'sell your soul' to Chaos in whatever form, does that just override the natural order of things and re-route your soul to the realm of chaos upon death or what?

Yeah the Realm of Chaos takes it in that case.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I'm using Foundry, and running The Enemy Within. My PC's are in the lawyers office in Bögenhafen and are about to get shuttered in by the minions of the bounty hunter. How do I go about making an opposed test with multiple people on both sides? The minions are trying to block the door (two big stevedore types) and 3 of the PC's are intent on not being trapped in the room.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Torquemada posted:

I'm using Foundry, and running The Enemy Within. My PC's are in the lawyers office in Bögenhafen and are about to get shuttered in by the minions of the bounty hunter. How do I go about making an opposed test with multiple people on both sides? The minions are trying to block the door (two big stevedore types) and 3 of the PC's are intent on not being trapped in the room.

The best place to ask Foundry questions, specifically regarding Warhammer Fantasy, is in the official Discord: https://discord.com/channels/787396882875416606/787397718339223603

The developer posts in there frequently, and if others can't answer for you, he definitely can.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Couldn't you just run some simple tests for each participant and sum the success levels on each side, that's what I'd do.

Or an opposed test between the beefiest on each side with a +1SL bonus for each person helping on each side.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 26, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Deptfordx posted:

Couldn't you just run some simple tests for each participant and sum the success levels on each side, that's what I'd do.

This is basically what I ended up doing, thanks.

Boy, the whole first book is just amazingly railroady. Since my players are a pretty tight unit after five or six adventures in Ubersreik, they approach everything with laser focus. Arrive in Bögenhafen late afternoon, quick look around the Schaffenfest, free the dwarf, back to the inn for the night.

Next day, breakfast then directly to the lawyers office. Because they aren't as stupid as the scenario assumes, they had one member keeping watch down the far end of the street, and one guy on watch in the office while the other two talk to the clerk. They instantly react when the brute squad tries to wall them up in the office, leading to a mass scrum which they won, allowing them to get out of the office.

One pc burnt a point to intimidate the squad, while another succeeded wildly on a bribery roll, leading to the bad guys lining up for a handout and leaving. Kuftsos was obviously dead by the time they finished with all that, so I had to give some of his exposition to the clerk.

Soon as they had that (and the letter) they immediately left for Altdorf to track down 'QF', bypassing almost the entire adventure. After a day's travel towards Altdorf, I destroyed Bögenhafen with the Chaos gate.

It's probably just the first scenario, but I've been going through Death On The Reik, and getting a similar vibe. The adventure, at least in the first parts, places a LOT of emphasis on the danger 'Kastor' is in, both from the authorities, and from the Purple Hand. It's absolutely reasonable that the party is going to ignore virtually everything else until they have that in hand: the scenarios however, seem to assume that the pc's will take any little diversion the gm throws at them, which doesn't seem to make sense (since I personally wouldn't worry about some rear end in a top hat apothecary's problems if my friends life was in constant extreme danger).

All this is to say that although we're all having fun, there's a hell of a lot of material that my guys aren't going to use.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torquemada posted:

Soon as they had that (and the letter) they immediately left for Altdorf to track down 'QF', bypassing almost the entire adventure. After a day's travel towards Altdorf, I destroyed Bögenhafen with the Chaos gate.

i feel like you could probably have just had magerious flag them down before they left and go "hold up, there's still plot here"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I'm going to hold them up in Weissbruck for a couple of days, so they can see huge military mobilisation on the way down to Bögenhafen and huge swarms of refugees on the way up to Altdorf. I can probably get them involved in the Etelka thing there somehow.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Torquemada posted:

All this is to say that although we're all having fun, there's a hell of a lot of material that my guys aren't going to use.

I'm up to just finished part 4, we have a gap between parts so my fellow DM can run something.

Yeah, it's a beloved campaign. But it's definitely showing it's age in the design these days.

My advice is to keep up with what you're doing. Just use it as a framework and lean into whatever you're players doing. I've freely cut stuff out, or handled it differently as well as added new stuff focused on the players previous actions and character goals.

For the new Stuff.

The new part 4 is pretty good. I personally leant way more into the "You're in a Roger Moore era James Bond Movie now" in both play and foreshadowing.

We finished with our party Wizard (having got seperated) losing a wizard duel with Deputy High Wizard Janna (Who was actually a traitor in my game). Being captured, and whisked away in a Skaven airship, while the rest of the party escaped before the mountain blew up.

Part 5. Only skimmed it so far, but yeah, that's going to need some rewriting.

Edit: Oh and if the players didn't click with the festival stuff etc in Bogenhafen. You might have issues with Part 3: Power Behind the Throne as well. Also there's no way the railroad ending will go down the way it's written with almost any players, never mind the focused group you describe. I didn't even attempt it with mine, wrapped things up when they Save the Graf from the doppelganger.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 12, 2023

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Torquemada posted:

Boy, the whole first book is just amazingly railroady.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, it's a beloved campaign. But it's definitely showing it's age in the design these days.

Yeah, lol. We’re talking about an rpg module from 1986.

in classic GM style, I recommend inserting your own character into the party who can tell everyone what to do.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the party i was playing with saw a weird light come from inside of teugan's house and spent literal hours coming up with increasingly unworkable plans for getting in, up to and including "start random fires around the city and then investigate while everyone else flees/puts it out" and only stopped because the GM explicitly told us that that wasn't what we were supposed to be doing

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

the party i was playing with saw a weird light come from inside of teugan's house and spent literal hours coming up with increasingly unworkable plans for getting in, up to and including "start random fires around the city and then investigate while everyone else flees/puts it out" and only stopped because the GM explicitly told us that that wasn't what we were supposed to be doing

Sometimes you do need to tell motherfuckers "you're overthinking this, please just move on".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megazver posted:

you're overthinking this, please just move on

New thread title right here

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"You think you've found everything you can here" is one of my more appreciated GM phrases.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
DotR questions. Does the boat the PCs acquire have a name? I couldn't see it mentioned (though I wasn't looking that closely).

Also, regarding boat travel, do i just fudge the wind always blowing from the correct direction? They don't have engines or horses to tow them or even oars by the looks of things, which just leaves wind and the direction of the water flow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Torquemada posted:

DotR questions. Does the boat the PCs acquire have a name? I couldn't see it mentioned (though I wasn't looking that closely).

There's a story that back in the day they didn't name children until they were at least a year old, because it just wasn't worth the heartache.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

In our group, “Kastor” is the social character

He was also a charlatan who impersonated people.

Edit: here's one player's perspective on The Enemy Within:

I attended every session, I paid attention, I took hand written notes that filled multiple books by the end of the campaign:

I hardly even understand what Enemy Within is about or who the main antagonists are. I don't understand any of the conspiracies. Also. We burnt Bogenhagen to the ground on accident.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 19, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I hardly even understand what Enemy Within is about or who the main antagonists are. I don't understand any of the conspiracies. Also. We burnt Bogenhagen to the ground on accident.

I joined the enemy within game that I'm currently in because the GM did one combat with the party and realized that they had made zero effective combat characters, so he begged me to join and make a combat character so that the party had a chance at succeeding. I'm playing an ogre named Geg with 11 Intelligence who follows a gang of scrawny nerds around and solos all of the combat encounters they get into. When not in combat, he spends his time eating things, breaking furniture, shouting and getting confused. It's very helpful for me because it means that I get to pass off the fact that I have no idea what's going on half the time as method acting.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

I joined the enemy within game that I'm currently in because the GM did one combat with the party and realized that they had made zero effective combat characters, so he begged me to join and make a combat character so that the party had a chance at succeeding. I'm playing an ogre named Geg with 11 Intelligence who follows a gang of scrawny nerds around and solos all of the combat encounters they get into. When not in combat, he spends his time eating things, breaking furniture, shouting and getting confused. It's very helpful for me because it means that I get to pass off the fact that I have no idea what's going on half the time as method acting.

I would feel so bad for you in our campaign. We're on session #25 of our Power Behind the Throne campaign and we've had a grand total of 5 combats, most of which were in the first 5 sessions of the campaign.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

I would feel so bad for you in our campaign. We're on session #25 of our Power Behind the Throne campaign and we've had a grand total of 5 combats, most of which were in the first 5 sessions of the campaign.

we often go several sessions at a time without combat, which I find very relaxing since I get to doze off and not pay attention because it's mostly nerds reading things and then arguing about them. I also find it fun to sometimes pipe up and deliberately ruin attempts at diplomacy, like when someone asked if we knew Teugen and I asked if she meant that guy we killed.

it's a sharp contrast to the other wfrp game i'm in, where we've spent the entire thing on a boat that my character has ended up captaining by virtue of everyone else who wanted to do it being dead and most of the party playing deliberately jokey or weird characters. I find it pretty exhausting because the GM and party understandably expect me to be the one making decisions and dealing with NPCs 90% of the time. I've gotten used to it, but I don't think I could handle two games like that, especially since it's held the day before Enemy Within with the same group. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel some catharsis about being a nuisance to them with the ogre after they spend the previous day doing the same thing to me in the boat game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dozens of fights in my game, usually one a session. Our play group isn't really going to play a TTRPG that doesn't have crunchy, pseudo tactical combat (except maybe white wolf and I feel like that's grandfathered in, snd we still fight a lot).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My PCs have (with trepidation) acquired the barge, after leaving Bögenhafen to be consumed by Chaos. They're currently a couple of days away from Weissbruck moored up at a small town, and I've just dropped six boats worth of traumatised and injured refugees on the docks for them to deal with.
In an effort to get them back on the correct track, I thought I could move the signal tower to nearby, and have its repair be super important for warning the capital about the fate of Bögenhafen. Is this going to screw up the rest of the adventure in some way I can't foresee?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shouldn't think so, you'll be further away from the Reik, but that doesn't really matter.

I guess the question is how hooked are they on the 'Find Etelka Hertzen' plotline?

Personally I generated multiple plot hooks.

I had the Dwarf Pc hired by a Dwarf factotum in Altdorf to go troubleshoot the tower, I had the Wizard asked to discreetly investigate this Etelka to see if she was a rogue magister, the Leiberung double having purple hand letters drawing him that way and the new PC captain of the barge being approached to ship cargo down to Kemperbad.

Bear in mind they're supposed to return all the way back to the tower at least once as well.

Personally in that situation I'd just go full hand-wavy Indiana Jones style 'Dashed lines across the map, and then you're there'.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They don't even know Etelka Herzen exists. I'm kind of winging that bit, since I figured I could have information about her among the six boats of refugees. Maybe have the guy who changes his mind (Magirus?) be on one of the refugee boats to dump info on them. They're absolutely focussed on the Purple Hand thing, which I remember as being intriguing as a player thirty years ago, but as a GM is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah the whole Purple Hand subplot is very meandering.

I also made Etelka a Purple Hand cultist rather than, I'm not going to dig out my books to check, Red Crown?

Throwing another random cult into the mix seemed redundant, they're superfactional working at cross purposes anyway, so I just changed the references.

Also I dropped some hints, left clues, that the Skaven were taking an interest in things as well. So the "Surprise. Skaven!" at the end is less random, and setting groundwork for the rising Skaven threat in part 4.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah the whole Purple Hand subplot is very meandering.

I also made Etelka a Purple Hand cultist rather than, I'm not going to dig out my books to check, Red Crown?

Throwing another random cult into the mix seemed redundant, they're superfactional working at cross purposes anyway, so I just changed the references.

Also I dropped some hints, left clues, that the Skaven were taking an interest in things as well. So the "Surprise. Skaven!" at the end is less random, and setting groundwork for the rising Skaven threat in part 4.

I'm appreciating your input here, thank you. I'm definitely going to ignore the Red Crown, anything interesting about them can get squashed into the Purple Hand.

I'm aware at some point in the future the PCs get rescued by a dwarven flying machine of some kind? Are these supposed to be common, would the PCs know they are a thing that exists, or have even seen one before the start of the adventure?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The whole world knows about gyrocopters, gyrobombers, and other flying machines. There's a branch of the Karaz Ankor military that deploys them called the Skycorps. Like everything else the Dwarfs do, they're all individually crafted by master engineers and passed down from pilot to pilot.

The Empire has steam engine tech, but it's not very good. The Dwarfs have been very leery about teaching humans about gasoline and internal combustion, it's a technology that's only a few hundred years old and therefore the realm of reckless radicals.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I kept Etelka Herzen affiliated with a separate entity that is utilizing the Purple Hand to sow discord in various locations, and empower herself. The purple hand coming to an end in PBTT (essentially) leaves the players looking for more cults to deal with, and they may not care about going after the skaven threat brought up in HR. Having someone as a throughline to guide the players towards that conclusion is useful.

Assuming your players can't deal with Etelka Herzen in DotR (my party wasn't able to overcome her magic, so they barricaded themselves in a tower and she eventually flew away), she can make an interesting throughline villain for the remainder of the series, which helps give your players reasons to engage in the follow up adventures (PBTT, HR, and EiF).

My players are ostensibly looking for Etelka, but got embroiled in the PBTT plot as a diversion. I'm planning to make Etelka the person pulling the strings and helping fund the Purple Hand's efforts. She has essentially become the BBEG of The Enemy Within.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
DotR clarification: in the module as written, it seems that the party is required to go from the signal tower, to the Barren Hills to collect the sixth key, to return to the signal tower to get into the secret room, and then traipse all the way back down the river again. Am I losing much by just allowing them access to the secret room initially? It just seems like padding otherwise.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I did the there and back again, but I'm perfectly prepared to handwave travel to Indiana Jones 'lines on the map' style if it moves stuff along, rather than go through every day.

But I believe one and done'ing the tower is quite common, you just need to change where the players get the lead to Castle Wittegenstein.

Edit: Incidentally there's some useful thoughts and suggestions here.

https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2022/01/30/the-enemy-within-gamesmasters-tips/

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
The original conceit of the module is that the adventurers would get into a sideline of river trading and that they would complete the adventure while travelling up and down the Reik. With that in mind, the backtracking makes sense, even if the trading falls flat for some players. Also occuring is the scheming of a Chaos Cult who are pursuing the same lead along a different track. So if you one and done the tower, you kind of jetison that plot unless you are prepared to make some adjustments.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
For the love of god, I've just had the whiffy-est combat in history.

While acquiring the river boat, my unruly gang had to fight the four mutants (the flying one, the tentacle one in the water, and the two on board). They did have Josef the npc on their side, but I think the whole combat took three or four rounds, with only one PC injured.

Fine, I thought, next time I'll slightly buff whatever they're fighting. They get into the basement of the signal tower and wander into the library bit, and start fighting the three zombies in there. I gave them 8 hp extra each.

That took two and a half hours. I had to ignore the spare two zombies in the other rooms, and completely ignore their regeneration ability. No one could hit for poo poo. Now granted, one of my PCs tried to rejig combat in their favour by trying to get everyone back in the circular room so they could gain a three to one advantage on each zombie as it came through the door, but still.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's dice!

Currently in a Hellboy (5E) game as a player (Another ref in my group, so we take turns running things).

Last session in a fight I rolled a '1' on a d20, 4 times in a row. :psyduck:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
:piaa:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
For a book that advertises itself as having rules for playing as Skinks, the Lustria book sure is reticent about the idea of people playing as Skinks.

There's an entire throughline about skinks starting to low-key question how much they really believe in the Great Plan! They're the ones interacting with the warmbloods, as the central point of cultural exchange! There's hooks there, just talk about them and how it could be cool, don't open with "We don't think skinks make for compelling characters, but here's the rules anyways"!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, they don't think Skinks make for compelling characters?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Night10194 posted:

Wait, they don't think Skinks make for compelling characters?

The stats kind of come out in the wash--in total it's net neutral compared to a human, 1 Fate, small size, but you do get some interesting Creature Traits--amphibious, arboreal, night vision, cold-blooded.

Oh, and you can't swap out of your career. Which, uh.

Honestly, it was your 2E writeups that made me want to learn More about the setting. My read so far is that the book seems pretty good, but man, they should be hyping you up about skinking. See the world outside of the Great Plan! Learn what it is to be you! Go be the skink that ends up discovering the Bretonnian Frog Pit!

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 15, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good god, that's terrible.

I always took it a different way, that Lizardmen start in a similar place as clones/drones but then begin to branch out and change via their experiences and lives.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
D&D5e: full luxury gay space communism now! sex and gender are made up! everyone can be everything!

WHFRP: we would encourage you to have fun within the confines of our rigidly defined guidelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
That section feels like it was written by a no fun allowed lore nerd