Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Highline posted:

I was really hoping KC would pick up Adderly. That backfield is going to be insanely good for the next 10 years.
Thornhill is better than Adderly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Highline posted:

I was really hoping KC would pick up Adderly.

Agreed but I do think Thornhill and Adderly are pretty close. The thing that Thornhill does is get picks and I can't remember when the Chiefs had a guy playing that free safety center fielder who could do that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Durandal1707 posted:

They mainly need Feeney to take a step forward - he had kind of a down sophomore season last year after a solid rookie campaign - and for something to pan out at RT between Lamp/Tevi/Pipkins. Receiving wise, losing Tyrell kind of sucks but he was gonna get paid a lot and it wasn't gonna happen with the Chargers because of their cap situation. They're getting Henry back, which will be huge as Ross noted because Green's not really a consistent starter at TE, and Gates basically can only play like 10 snaps a game anymore if that. They're probably banking on Mike Williams taking a big step forward this year and as mentioned, all of their RBs can catch out of the backfield.

Defensively aside for getting Bosa back, they shored up two of their weak spots last year by drafting a DT and a legit centerfield safety to pair with Derwin. (and they can swap between box/center field more effectively in theory than they could with Addae/James) Offensively it might be a little dicey but defensively they should be one of the best units in the league.

Well said, this is exactly what I was getting at. When your plan for success on the offensive line is for guys who didn't play or played badly last year to suddenly play great this year, that's a bit of a problem. Essentially staking it on hope, especially with Feeney and Tevi.

So it's basically just a prayer that guys improve and also, crucially, stay healthy. Their run blocking seemed decent last year, at least. And Rivers is really good at getting the ball out quick to where it needs to go, which is how they thrived last season. Just something to keep an eye on at this point, but the roster overall I'd have to give an A or an A minus just because of the fantastic pieces they already had rounded out with a strong draft

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cool video, especially for those who didn't realize how amazing Derwin James actually was last year. He's the kind of player where you could spend the entire game just looking at him and it wouldn't be disappointing in the least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMfpBaI3og4

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Flacco is elite

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Flacco is elite

Sure, gently caress it, I'll pretend I agree with this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Play posted:

Cool video, especially for those who didn't realize how amazing Derwin James actually was last year. He's the kind of player where you could spend the entire game just looking at him and it wouldn't be disappointing in the least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMfpBaI3og4

Derwin is quickly becoming my favorite player on defense

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Derwin is quickly becoming my favorite player on defense

He's truly amazing. The fact that he was even available at 17 is pretty nuts, I think a lot of teams see "safety" and think those are players they can get in the third round or later. A guy like Derwin James is much more than just a safety though. I mean he is a safety, but he's the absolute rarest kind of safety that can do LITERALLY every part of the job in an elite manner.

That video also goes into a bit of Addae's struggles at reading the play and having the speed to contest, and how that affected the whole Chargers defense. Obviously Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is their answer to that conundrum so that he can play back in the true free safety position while James covers, blitzes and run stops near the line of scrimmage

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I think you mean Nasir Adderly but yes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

I think you mean Nasir Adderly but yes

Correct, that other dude went to the Saints my bad. In any case removing the obvious weak link in the scheme makes the Chargers look like the best secondary in the NFL

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Play posted:

Correct, that other dude went to the Saints my bad. In any case removing the obvious weak link in the scheme makes the Chargers look like the best secondary in the NFL

I can't wait for Pat and Andy to make them look merely average

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Strobe posted:

I can't wait for Pat and Andy to make them look merely average

If your secondary is average against Mahomes then you're doing a really good job

They also made Mahomes look pretty average in the 2nd game last year

a neat cape fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 4, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

a neat cape posted:

If your secondary is average against Mahomes then you're doing a really good job

Yeah I was agreeing with you and Play. Chargers defense looks stacked.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Strobe posted:

Yeah I was agreeing with you.

Yeah it's a credit to both units.

Now, against Flacco and Carr on the other hand

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Yeah, there's no secondary in the world that can consistently defend against perfect throws. Keeping Mahomes below 30 is a victory for the defense that manages it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm actually more interested in the Raiders defense next year than their offense. Maurice Hurst looked okay and to me PJ Hall looked even more promising. Arden Key not so much but paired with Clelin Ferrell and Maxx Crosby they make up a super young and cheap group that can grow and progress together. There were also some promising signs from Gareon Conley at CB and Karl Joseph actually looked good last year at strong safety (although Johnathan Abrams seems like a strong safety too so who knows how that goes). A couple new rookie cornerbacks too, the main position they aren't young and fast in is MLB.

I don't think they'll be good straight off because they're super young and inexperienced but I like the overall potential of the group. At the very least the D shouldn't be the absolute sieve it was last year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some sports guy compared the Royals #2 overall pick Bobby Witt, Jr yesterday to Mahomes and said Witt would be Mahomes for the Royals.

If he was Mahomes he would have to spend one year in the minor league, get called up and immediately hit 70 homeruns, knock in 185 RBI, win the Gold Glove and MVP and be compared to Lou Gherig and Barry Bonds.

Just to give some perspective on what Mahomes is doing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can't really have a system batter I don't think.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Anyone who plays on the Rockies is a system batter

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

Some sports guy compared the Royals #2 overall pick Bobby Witt, Jr yesterday to Mahomes and said Witt would be Mahomes for the Royals.

If he was Mahomes he would have to spend one year in the minor league, get called up and immediately hit 70 homeruns, knock in 185 RBI, win the Gold Glove and MVP and be compared to Lou Gherig and Barry Bonds.

Just to give some perspective on what Mahomes is doing.

lol, think about the number of hitters you'd be competing against in that case. As impressive as what Mahomes accomplished was, there were only 31 other starting quarterbacks to compete against in his case, which doesn't diminish what he did but does bring into focus how impossible it is to do that in baseball, where a billion different statistics from thousands of different players are conspiring to condemn you to mediocrity.

I mean just look at Mike Trout and Bryce Harper (or whoever's the big ham in baseball these days). None of them are going to come even close to having the impact on their team that Mahomes had on his

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Baseball is also harder to play

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

You can't really have a system batter I don't think.

There's a Joey Votto joke in this comment somewhere.

Play posted:

I mean just look at Mike Trout and Bryce Harper (or whoever's the big ham in baseball these days). None of them are going to come even close to having the impact on their team that Mahomes had on his

It's Trout, it'll be trout for at least the next 5 years and probably longer.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

It's Trout, it'll be trout for at least the next 5 years and probably longer.

a trout can't be a ham. stop talking nonsense

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Play posted:

a trout can't be a ham. stop talking nonsense

He's on pace to be the greatest baseball player ever and the Angels will never make the playoffs again in his career, it rules

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

can a trout be a goat

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

can a trout be a goat

maybe through the magic of evolution and after millions upon millions of years? it'd probably be a pretty fishy goat though. or a real goaty fish. either way very suspicious

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can a goat be a trout

https://twitter.com/chiefs/status/1137131853968814080?s=21

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Softball pitcher gonna bean him next time up for that shameful display of showing him up.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Von Miller vs Eric Fisher in a good ol' boy contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYw-8rKMqKA

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I know some of y'all hate the Broncos because they're awesome but Pat Bowlen passed away and man, he was a great owner for a long rear end time. RIP.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 14, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Now let's see what kind of poo poo show the kids make fighting over the franchise. It's gonna suck.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
C'mon now, let's not go out with his horrifyingly photoshopped visage. Let's choose to remember him pimped the f out.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pat was an amazing owner and I’m thankful for everything he did for this team and this city.

He will be missed.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

KC talk radio is bad and if you listen to it, you should also feel bad.
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1143307843183005696

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just learned Kietzman has been doing this for 20 years now (and has been terrible since day one). Jesus Christ.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
So this is how the implosion begins

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't think Kietzman will be the harbinger of the implosion.

810 is the worst.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'm going to start a fantasy football league for the afcw thread like some of the other division threads have

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

I'm going to start a fantasy football league for the afcw thread like some of the other division threads have

I've been thinking I wanted to do two leagues this year and the AFC West is one of my favorite divisions. So I'd like to participate, unless a real fan or whatever needs my spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I dunno if enough people that post here would want to do it so you're probably in