Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
HAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

lol

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yessssss

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Welp

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
Hahaha GET hosed

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Yedlin's own goal for Newcastle today was an omen

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I did not guess the first goal would be by my favorite person, Owen Goal.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Get hosed Portland

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
lol I can't believe we won, but wooooo

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

that was a fun ending

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Cascante is bad, should feel bad, and does feel bad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bio-Hazard posted:

Cascante is bad, should feel bad, and does feel bad.

Isn't he the one that got cleats to the eye in stoppage time as well? This was not his day.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Get hosed Portland

There is cum everywhere ahahahahahahaaaa

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/1033921160205889536

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
According to the Audi index: gently caress PORTLAND

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BAH GAWD

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Cascante had no idea what to do when the ball was kicked directly to him, so he naturally put it into the back of his own net. Good decision.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
All kinds of technical difficulties in the DCU stream

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I feel like we've played 6 games in the past two weeks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lol, I don't even know who just scored for us.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Looking at the ages and drat, the red bulls with a really young team today

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
Props to DC for putting the visitors section at Audi Field right below camera. It's fun watching an away match but picking out every SoB chant. Apparently they brought cymbals!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Lol, I don't even know who just scored for us.

Local boy from Flemington, went to Hunterdon Central.

I didn't even realize the Red Bulls were playing today.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FC Dallas protecting the lead about as well as I protect my blood pressure while watching FC Dallas.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The entire league should be cheering us on to top Atlanta imo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

FC Dallas protecting the lead about as well as I protect my blood pressure while watching FC Dallas.

:suicide:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
San Jose and Dallas competing to see who's better at blowing a lead, I see.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Seltzer posted:

The entire league should be cheering us on to top Atlanta imo.

I would rather kill you, because killing myself wouldn’t help

Your team never winning the league is the most important part of MLS seasons, and in fact I hope Atlanta wins it before you do

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I would rather kill you, because killing myself wouldn’t help

Your team never winning the league is the most important part of MLS seasons, and in fact I hope Atlanta wins it before you do

The Red Bulls have won the league twice dude, they've just never won MLS Cup.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I was talking about winning the league, but we're going to win the cup too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Don't worry folks, the MLS Cup finals will be Seattle vs. Atlanta and Seattle will win the cup because even when they sink as low as Earth's molten core, they somehow come out on top.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

oof bradley

also SKC are gonna win the cup so i don't even know why you're having this discussion

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 30, 2018

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Has anyone used Melolno yet?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

The Red Bulls have won the league twice dude, they've just never won MLS Cup.

I mean, if we’re arguing that tack, the Capitals have won the NHL a few times too

Do you want to do that, that could be fun

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I mean, if we’re arguing that tack, the Capitals have won the NHL a few times too

Do you want to do that, that could be fun

We're talking about soccer though where every other country in the world honors the team who has the most points at the end of the season as the best team in the league in that season.

MLS Playoffs are a purely American thing and you know that. The best team in MLS wins the Supporters Shield, the best team in the playoffs wins MLS Cup.

Yes, I'd rather the Red Bulls win an MLS Cup because I spent $1k to watch them lose one in person, to a team that won't exist next year no less, and it was a pretty miserable feeling then and still is 10 years on.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

We're talking about soccer though where every other country in the world honors the team who has the most points at the end of the season as the best team in the league in that season.

MLS Playoffs are a purely American thing and you know that. The best team in MLS wins the Supporters Shield, the best team in the playoffs wins MLS Cup.

Yes, I'd rather the Red Bulls win an MLS Cup because I spent $1k to watch them lose one in person, to a team that won't exist next year no less, and it was a pretty miserable feeling then and still is 10 years on.

If we had a balanced schedule like every other country in the world, I'd agree with you. We only did that for all of two seasons - 2010 and 2011, both of which were won by the LA Galaxy. (The 2011 Galaxy won the double, so we can't argue they weren't Champions of North America and that.) With an unbalanced schedule, the Shield may as well be the President's Trophy. You're smarter than to argue that something in MLS is analogous to any other soccer league, especially when plenty of other leagues do, in fact, employ playoffs to determine champions.

Like, I know they're your trophies, and they're things to be proud of, but let's not be completely insane here. I love the 2013 US Open Cup run. Trophies are awesome, even if they aren't winning the league. Everyone should try and win trophies.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The East is stronger ergo...

Also the list of silverware goes Supporters Shield > MLS Cup > CCL Cup > US open cup

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Deciding how a champion is crowned is one of those eternal arguments that we can all have fun with anyway, because we can argue all of them are stupid. Playoffs at the end of the year vs long term results over a balanced campaign vs sports writers all deciding who the best team is vs the god damned AFL Finals Series and on and on. We decided in 1996 that we'd do it with the playoffs. And being MLS, we have dumb poo poo like 2008 Western Conference Champions being y'all and the 2010 Eastern Conference Champions being the loving Rapids. Our league is hilarious. Big gold stars over crests because Steve Clark mishandled a ball in 17 seconds.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Seltzer posted:

The East is stronger ergo...

Are we arguing that the 2013 Supporters Shield had a stronger East

Because that Shield has y'all in first, and then the next FIVE teams in the race were Western, including the team you pipped by one point (the actual champion of the league in 2013, SKC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Deciding how a champion is crowned is one of those eternal arguments that we can all have fun with anyway, because we can argue all of them are stupid. Playoffs at the end of the year vs long term results over a balanced campaign vs sports writers all deciding who the best team is vs the god damned AFL Finals Series and on and on. We decided in 1996 that we'd do it with the playoffs. And being MLS, we have dumb poo poo like 2008 Western Conference Champions being y'all and the 2010 Eastern Conference Champions being the loving Rapids. Our league is hilarious. Big gold stars over crests because Steve Clark mishandled a ball in 17 seconds.

For all of the arguments/jokes about the Red Bulls/Metros and their lack of trophies, the funniest thing about the franchise and MLS in general is that the NEW YORK RED BULLS were the WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS in 2008.

Edit: Holy poo poo that was ten years ago. I went to MLS Cup 10 years ago, I'm so old.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 30, 2018

• Locked thread