Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Isnt arming the working class paramount to projected international resistance to classical capitalist thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dolphin posted:

3D printing? You still need machined metal parts, and ammunition. If someone's going through that much trouble to get a gun and kill a school full of children you're not stopping them with any measure. Those people (Anders Breivbitch) aren't the target of this kinda thing.

And even he had to buy a farm in order to justify buying so much of the heavily (even in USA) regulated fertilizer.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

3D printing? You still need machined metal parts, and ammunition. If someone's going through that much trouble to get a gun and kill a school full of children you're not stopping them with any measure. Those people (Anders Breivbitch) aren't the target of this kinda thing.

The trenchcoat mafia was probably not going to make their own guns if their parents didn't have any. More likely they'd probably just kidnap a kid to bully and then jump off a bridge or something like the good old days

my understanding is the only thing you need besides 3d printed bits is a metal nail and the ammunition and again its fairly trivial to make your own ammunition. I agree that banning firearms would reduce gun violence, there is no doubt in my mind. But I think that troubled people who want to do random violence will still be troubled people who want to do random violence and we should also be investigating what brings people to commit 'random' violence in the first place. Banning guns in my mind is a sort of band aid that ignores the problems in our society, and my biggest worry specifically with banning or trying to reduce gun ownership through legislation would be that the other aspects are ignored because politicians and also a lot of the population in the US are lazy and like to pat themselves on the back and go "Oh we did a thing, look at us, vote for us, yay!" and ignore real problems. Just look at the ACA for a really good example of politicians doing a thing that was partly good and then being like "Yep, we did it we're done!" meanwhile healthcare in the US is still complete garbage and people are still going into forever debt just for hitting up the emergency room when they have no other options.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

3D printing is a red herring. Building a rudimentary firearm has been trivially easy for 100 years. It isn't a huge problem.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

ah yes, because only Bad Guys ® do bad things with guns

Pretty much. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed by stolen guns and people who are prohibited to own guns.

Dolphin posted:

Producing ammunition should also be illegal, and short of chemists you're not going to find someone who can make the raw materials. Also, secret munitions shops are not exactly easy to hide.

Manufacturing ammo is incredibly easy with million of the essential parts in easy circulation (powder,primer,cases). Most firearms hobbyists could make hundreds of ammo in any given night if they were bored.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

3D printing is a red herring. Building a rudimentary firearm has been trivially easy for 100 years. It isn't a huge problem.

3D printing and readily available CNC machines in the home are a big, big difference from a black iron pipe zip gun. Personally - I don't think that printed or homemade guns are going to be the choice for criminals for a long time, due to how easy it is to get a regular ol' gun, but as 3D printers are improved and refined it will at some point be possible to plug a thing in and have it pop out most or all of a gun (probably any gun ever made). We should be ready for that.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

zapplez posted:

Most firearms hobbyists could make hundreds of ammo in any given night if they were bored.

People who are really into reloading can produce several thousand rounds of practice ammunition per week while balancing a day job and family. Rate limiting factor in theoretical ultra gun ban would be primers, smokeless powder, and then bullets. Cases can be reused many times depending on the caliber in question and the pressure you choose to reload it to.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

Pretty much. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed by stolen guns and people who are prohibited to own guns.
Wrong, majority is suicides. Which is a bad thing to do with a gun. In fact, nearly everything is a bad thing to do with a gun.

quote:

Manufacturing ammo is incredibly easy with million of the essential parts in easy circulation (powder,primer,cases). Most firearms hobbyists could make hundreds of ammo in any given night if they were bored.
Smokeless powder, primers, and cases should not be available for people to play around with for the same reason C4 and potentially explosive fertilizers shouldn't be available for people to play around with.

Like for some reason other countries don't have people making thousands of rounds and going on rampages, maybe it's because those things are not things most crazy people do?

Crazy true believers do those things. Violent dudes with grudges don't learn to make ammunition, they use their fists.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 3, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like it's illegal to possess weaponized anthrax, despite anyone with a biology degree being able to make it. Yet there haven't been that many attacks...

I wonder what would happen if you could buy large quantities of anthrax at Walmart

No no, legal anthrax isn't the problem. Mental health is the problem, why do people want to kill people with anthrax in this hosed up society

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

;
In the US, range fees vary depending on the club, but anywhere from $70-$1-2k/yr. On the expensive end are nicer indoor facilities that offer some of the services you describe.

[...]

Essentially, the business model of basically every range I've ever visited hinges on private gun ownership. Clubs/ranges play a much smaller role than they seem to in your country, and this largely has to do with the costs for both the range and the individual consumer.

Hey, I wanna thank you for this post. It feels pretty weird that in a country where guns are so ubiquitous it seems actually more expensive to go to a range than in my country.

But you're right of course: it is always cheaper to own your own gun and ammunition if you are a regular range shooter, much like it's probably cheaper to own your own diving suit if you're a regular diver. That's also why I want to compromise with gun hobbyists: contrary to what Rent-A-Cop says, my goal isn't to make their hobby more expensive, simply much more regulated and less directly accessible to the people who are not dedicated to it.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I think any notion of purchasing back guns at this point is nonsense. You might, maybe, maybe cut down random shootings by a very small amount, but with the amount of guns in circulation unless it was a mandatory buyback type of thing not enough gun owners will sell them back to the government and a person who wants to shoot up something will still be able to grab them from their parent's gun rack or friends pick-up truck and go to town. As far as banning ammunition sales goes it would just increase the number of people producing and selling their own. On top of this as 3d printing becomes better and more readily available it won't matter if you completely ban guns, a person who can afford a gun collection can easily afford a 3d printer to print their own poo poo.

I advocate a mandatory buyback and brig-back-and-exchange program for unregistered guns, yes. A program with a significant reward and a massive advertisement campaign, over several years, and with penalties if an unregistered gun is found after the deadline (unless it is brought back voluntarily).

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

Like it's illegal to possess weaponized anthrax, despite anyone with a biology degree being able to make it.

This is completely untrue. Where do you come up with ideas like this?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

This is completely untrue. Where do you come up with ideas like this?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_Weapons_Anti-Terrorism_Act_of_1989

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
brb, need to buy ricin, it's on sale today

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

Wrong, majority is suicides. Which is a bad thing to do with a gun.

Suicide is a red herring when it comes to gun control. There are many countries with vastly higher suicide rates with severely limited access to firearms. People use the best available tool, if a firearm isn't available and they want to kill themselves, they are still going to keep trying till they do it.

And not everyone even believes that suicide should be criminal.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

Suicide is a red herring when it comes to gun control. There are many countries with vastly higher suicide rates with severely limited access to firearms. People use the best available tool, if a firearm isn't available and they want to kill themselves, they are still going to keep trying till they do it.

And not everyone even believes that suicide should be criminal.
No it's not. Suicide should be discouraged and having automatic suicide machines available to buy around the corner is a bad idea.

I don't think suicide should be illegal, but that doesn't mean we should be helping people do it

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

Like it's illegal to possess weaponized anthrax, despite anyone with a biology degree being able to make it. Yet there haven't been that many attacks...

I wonder what would happen if you could buy large quantities of anthrax at Walmart

No no, legal anthrax isn't the problem. Mental health is the problem, why do people want to kill people with anthrax in this hosed up society

Its illegal to drive people over with vehicles, despite anyone with a credit card being able to rent a truck.

Trucks keep being used in mass casualty incidents, sometimes having death tolls much higher than typical mass shootings.

Are legal trucks the problem? Or its it income inequality and mental health?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

Its illegal to drive people over with vehicles, despite anyone with a credit card being able to rent a truck.

Trucks keep being used in mass casualty incidents, sometimes having death tolls much higher than typical mass shootings.

To rent a truck you need a commercial driver's license and insurance. First you need a regular license. To get a driver's license you need driver's training, at least two valid forms of ID, a vision test, a written test, and a practical test.

After that you need two years of experience, proof of citizenship or residency, a background screening, you can't be diabetic or have high blood pressure, then you have to take a much longer and more involved written test, log hours with a supervising driver, then take a very involved practical test.

Your vehicle is subject to regular inspections by any officer ever, but especially motor carrier cops, and they LOVE to pull you over and make sure everything is in order.

You want gun buying to be similar then we can start a conversation about that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dolphin posted:

To rent a truck you need a commercial driver's license and insurance.
On what planet?

To rent a truck you need $25. I don't think anyone even checked my definitely non-commercial license last time

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

On what planet?

To rent a truck you need $25. I don't think anyone even checked my definitely non-commercial license last time
You mean a van. And you still need all the same tests for a regular driver's license.

Vans are good at moving people and things around, they're quite necessary for daily life. Also if you're planning to kill someone with them you're going to have to be extra sneaky, most homicides aren't the terrorism kind so it's a false equivalence anyway.

Guns are good for... nothing.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

zapplez posted:

Tell me more about the death toll from the typical mass shooting

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nah I meant a truck.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But hey, if you guys are down for making every owner of a firearm submit to a vision test, a written test, extensive supervised training followed by a practical exam, and have to regularly renew their firearms license and license and insure every firearm they own I'm game for that

Where I live you can get ticketed for having an unregistered vehicle on your own private property, I wonder how that would apply

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 3, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Where I live there is absolutely no government oversight at all of vehicles not on the road. That seems like a bad idea for guns.

Also no inspections. It's basically Mad Max with alligators.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Where I live there is absolutely no government oversight at all of vehicles not on the road. That seems like a bad idea for guns.

Also no inspections. It's basically Mad Max with alligators.
Do you live in Syria

I hear they have wicked alligators there

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 3, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dolphin posted:

Do you live in Syria

I hear they have wicked alligators there
I live in Florida. It's like Syria but slightly more violent.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

No, the idea that any bio major could weaponize anthrax. That idea is wrong.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

No, the idea that any bio major could weaponize anthrax. That idea is wrong.
you'd need a microbiology degree and lab experience. but fine. pretend i said ricin

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

you'd need a microbiology degree and lab experience. but fine.

That's wrong too, dude.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

According to NCIS Season 2 episode 22, you can also weaponize Y. Pestis if you’re an executive at a pharmaceutical company.

God knows these people are shady.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I met the real NCIS and not one of them was a cute goth girl or Israeli secret agent. Real letdown tbqh.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I live in Florida.

This explains so much.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

This explains so much.
I need guns to fight the hurricanes.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

That's wrong too, dude.
No, it's actually not.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dolphin posted:

No it's not. Suicide should be discouraged and having automatic suicide machines available to buy around the corner is a bad idea.

I don't think suicide should be illegal, but that doesn't mean we should be helping people do it

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dolphin posted:

No, it's actually not.

So prove it to us then. Should be easy to find a source on this huge problem of a weapon that only requires half a decade of school, probably some post graduate studies, and a couple years of time in a lab. I mean, who doesn’t have that at this point. It’s totally comparable to billy bob being able to slap down 500 bucks cash in any gun show and get whatever fuckin murder toy he wants, right?

Go make a thread for your idiotic deflections. This place is about guns, not stupid whataboutisms.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So prove it to us then. Should be easy to find a source on this huge problem of a weapon that only requires half a decade of school, probably some post graduate studies, and a couple years of time in a lab. I mean, who doesn’t have that at this point. It’s totally comparable to billy bob being able to slap down 500 bucks cash in any gun show and get whatever fuckin murder toy he wants, right?

Go make a thread for your idiotic deflections. This place is about guns, not stupid whataboutisms.
It's an analogy not a whataboutism. And it's a 2 second "how to make weaponized anthrax" Google search. It'll probably put you on a list though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doorknob Slobber posted:

In my opinion guns are neither good nor bad, they're simply as good or bad as the society who chooses to carry them.

I think any notion of purchasing back guns at this point is nonsense. You might, maybe, maybe cut down random shootings by a very small amount, but with the amount of guns in circulation unless it was a mandatory buyback type of thing not enough gun owners will sell them back to the government and a person who wants to shoot up something will still be able to grab them from their parent's gun rack or friends pick-up truck and go to town. As far as banning ammunition sales goes it would just increase the number of people producing and selling their own. On top of this as 3d printing becomes better and more readily available it won't matter if you completely ban guns, a person who can afford a gun collection can easily afford a 3d printer to print their own poo poo.

I think before we ban guns we have to take a good, long look at why we want to ban guns and address the why of it before anything else.

3dprinting guns has a long way to go before they're not insanely unreliable handheld explosives

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

No, it's actually not.

Yes, it is. I have a bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology and getting both an MD and a PhD in Pharmacology. Tell me your qualifications.

Dolphin posted:

It's an analogy not a whataboutism. And it's a 2 second "how to make weaponized anthrax" Google search. It'll probably put you on a list though.

You are so painfully stupid it kills me.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 4, 2018

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dolphin posted:

You don’t know what an analogy is, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You don’t know what an analogy is, my dude.
You don't know what a Whataboutism is.