Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Yes, it is. I have a bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology and getting both an MD and a PhD in Pharmacology. Tell me your qualifications.

You are so painfully stupid it kills me.
Where did you get your degree, jerk school?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

Where did you get your degree, jerk school?

Same school that taught me not to make poo poo up and post it online

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Same school that taught me not to make poo poo up and post it online
I hear jerk school also teaches you to turn into a giant rear end in a top hat and make up credentials when you're wrong. Did you get straight A's there?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

I hear jerk school also teaches you to turn into a giant rear end in a top hat and make up credentials when you're wrong. Did you get straight A's there?

Lmao you're so desperate to be even just a little bit right, an ever elusive goal when you're stupid and arrogant enough to say things like "Any bio major can make weaponized anthrax"

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Well, just because you're inept enough not to be able to make weaponized anthrax doesn't mean that any undergrad with enough moxie

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Lmao you're so desperate to be even just a little bit right, an ever elusive goal when you're stupid and arrogant enough to say things like "Any bio major can make weaponized anthrax"
Do you quiver with fear so much every waking second you're in a bar without your carry pistol that you try to derail gun threads over jokes?

The joke being an anthrax comparison to firearms, not the ease of manufacture, which is 100% true for people with not fake micro degrees

Mr "run of the mill criminals will just make their own bullets and perfectly maintain their weapons for decades" guy

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 4, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Well, just because you're inept enough not to be able to make weaponized anthrax doesn't mean that any undergrad with enough moxie
I think you're confused. Moxie is a sarin precursor.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

The joke being an anthrax comparison to firearms, not the ease of manufacture, which is 100% true for people with not fake micro degrees

You're super sad and still wrong a gently caress. I'm also an NIH research fellow (F series award), I bet your ego is too fragile to allow for that to be possibly true too.

Let's recap:

1. You said something that was factually, demonstrably wrong

(literally first page of google results: http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/bioter/anthraxasweapon.html)

quote:

Anthrax powder

In the 1990s, the one publicised case of the use of anthrax for terrorist aims was by the Aum Shinrikyo group in Japan.

They are said to have tried unsuccessfully to release anthrax in Tokyo several times, leading them to change to sarin gas, with fatal results.

Producing large amounts of anthrax in powder form - necessary for its use as an effective large-scale weapon - is a complicated and expensive process.

It requires the use of large centrifuges for repeated washings, and then intensive drying to produce the concentrated or "military-grade" powder.

The cost of this technology has led some experts in the United States to argue that the instigators of the present campaign must be a country, with previous experience, stocks and the necessary biotechnological expertise.

Scott Ritter also sees this as a real possibility.

"Terrorists do not have the facilities to weaponise anthrax, so if you have military grade anthrax being used, this would be the first solid evidence of state sponsorship," he said.

2. I told you that you were wrong and you said "No"

3. I told you that you were definitely wrong and I am far more qualified to make this statement than you, unless you happen to already have a PhD in microbiology, in which case I might defer to your expertise, but you don't, which is obvious

4. You get super butthurt and just say "Oh your degrees must be fake" which is basically the Trump move for "I am deeply incorrect and insecure about my own knowledge and intelligence," which is understandable after what you have demonstrated here

5. Now we're here, hello, this is fun

I seriously hope this is sarcasm

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Yes. Cool down.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

All of my formal education has made me hyper literal in an autism-spectrum sort of way.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

You're super sad and still wrong a gently caress. I'm also an NIH research fellow (F series award), I bet your ego is too fragile to allow for that to be possibly true too.

Let's recap:

1. You said something that was factually, demonstrably wrong

(literally first page of google results: http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/bioter/anthraxasweapon.html)

2. I told you that you were wrong and you said "No"

3. I told you that you were definitely wrong and I am far more qualified to make this statement than you, unless you happen to already have a PhD in microbiology, in which case I might defer to your expertise, but you don't, which is obvious

4. You get super butthurt and just say "Oh your degrees must be fake" which is basically the Trump move for "I am deeply incorrect and insecure about my own knowledge and intelligence," which is understandable after what you have demonstrated here

5. Now we're here, hello, this is fun

I like how you specifically picked the result that you liked, and the fact that the qualifier "large quantities for large scale weapons purposes" didn't clue you into the fact that you're wrong.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

All of my formal education

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I have a bachelor's degree

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 4, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dolphin posted:

I like how you specifically picked the result that you liked, and the fact that the qualifier "large quantities for large scale weapons purposes" didn't clue you into the fact that you're wrong.
I have an AA in nuclear biological and chemical warfare from ITT Tech and I say you're both wrong.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Moving on, we don't have to worry about people making bullets to kill people because industrialized bullet manufacturing is out of the realm of possibility for most people and could easily be snuffed out.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

Anthrax is weaponized by harvesting, concentrating, and aerosolizing large quantities of its spores. That's what makes it a weapon. If you have 5 anthrax spores that you found in a pile of dirt, you do not have a weapon.

The purification and processing of the spores is not possible without substantial education (more than a bachelors) and resources. This is why the only successful use of weaponized anthrax by a domestic terrorist in the US was by a guy who worked at the Fort Detrick biodefense labs and who stole it from work.

Also, yes, my two year NIH fellowship and four years of combined MD-PhD training do count as formal education. Very comfortable saying I am better educated than you are.

Dolphin posted:

Moving on, we don't have to worry about people making bullets to kill people because industrialized bullet manufacturing is out of the realm of possibility for most people and could easily be snuffed out.

Wrong again, lmao

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lym...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Seriously bro, when are you going to just stop making poo poo up? It's a little concerning how bad you are at, like, having a factual basis for an opinion. Did you go to college? Just wondering.

here's some more INDUSTRIALIZED BULLET MANUFACTURING thats OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY FOR MOST PEOPLE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsn8o5OCFVk

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Anthrax is weaponized by harvesting, concentrating, and aerosolizing large quantities of its spores. That's what makes it a weapon. If you have 5 anthrax spores that you found in a pile of dirt, you do not have a weapon.

The purification and processing of the spores is not possible without substantial education (more than a bachelors) and resources. This is why the only successful use of weaponized anthrax by a domestic terrorist in the US was by a guy who worked at the Fort Detrick biodefense labs and who stole it from work.

Also, yes, my two year NIH fellowship and four years of combined MD-PhD training do count as formal education. Very comfortable saying I am better educated than you are.
You're not. But that's irrelevant.

quote:

Wrong again, lmao

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lym...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Seriously bro, when are you going to just stop making poo poo up? It's a little concerning how bad you are at, like, having a factual basis for an opinion. Did you go to college? Just wondering.

here's some more INDUSTRIALIZED BULLET MANUFACTURING thats OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY FOR MOST PEOPLE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsn8o5OCFVk
Those are cartridges, not bullets. Where's the melting lead and casting step.

Are you literally seething 100% of the time? And do you know how orders of magnitude work?

And just lol if you think an amateur can make enough smokeless for an army

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 4, 2018

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dolphin posted:

Are you literally seething 100% of the time? And do you know how orders of magnitude work?

And just lol if you think an amateur can make enough smokeless for an army

quote:

worry about people making bullets to kill people

Not talking about an army. You're still wrong about anthrax and too dumb and proud to admit it.

There's clearly no point to your posts if you are comfortable with Trump levels of ignorance and factual distortion. Invest your time doing something else, like reading a book, or taking classes at a community college. Done polluting the thread with you.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 4, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Not talking about an army. You're still wrong about anthrax and too dumb and proud to admit it.
I'll admit that "weapons grade" is a stretch. Can any idiot with rudimentary lab skills make penicillin? Sorta. gently caress, people used to get useful penicillin just by making Roquefort and rubbing it on wounds. Can any idiot make a useful course of penicillin? No loving way in hell. Similarly can anyone with some education make a useful biological agent that could be deployed in a subway station? No. Could someone isolate and grow enough anthrax to kill someone? Yeah, they could. If you're not lying about your credentials I'm sure you could.

You're wrong about the bullets. Without equipment and a lot of really special skills if the supply of powder, casings, primers, and bullets dries up not many people are going to be able to make those things.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Done polluting the thread with you.
:jerkbag:

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 4, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

You have no idea what you are talking about.
Word?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gonna make diazodinitrophenol in my shed to test out this theory, hold on. i failed earlier with the smokeless powder but pretty sure i can get this primer right

edit: does anyone know where i can get picramic acid

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 4, 2018

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dolphin posted:

You don't know what a Whataboutism is.

It’s the thing you did all this page where you brought that up dumb poo poo to distract from the issue at hand, which is guns.

When people are taking about 3D printers being a possible problem due to being able to make the part of the gun that is regulated with serial numbers, and you bring up fuckin anthrax, that’s not a comparison meant to enlighten anyone. It’s a distraction because you don’t have poo poo.

Now you’ve swapped to bullet manufacture and immediately started moving the goalposts (well it’s hard if you have to make your own casings!!!!) because you got called out for not knowing poo poo about gently caress, and I can’t wait to see what stupidity you type out next to own the libs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Dolphin was trying to argue that guns should be as regulated as anthrax currently is, that's how weird and confusing this whole thing's been.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It’s the thing you did all this page where you brought that up dumb poo poo to distract from the issue at hand, which is guns.
Yeah no. A Whataboutism is a scapegoat for an action by calling attention to another action that someone else did, not a thread derail

quote:

When people are taking about 3D printers being a possible problem due to being able to make the part of the gun that is regulated with serial numbers, and you bring up fuckin anthrax, that’s not a comparison meant to enlighten anyone. It’s a distraction because you don’t have poo poo.
I can see how a super touchy person would take the anthrax comment as a serious argument meant to be taken very seriously and intended to sideline the debate because I'm shaking in existential terror about an argument about gun control but in fact, no it wasn't

quote:

Now you’re gonna swap to bullet manufacture and immediately started moving the goalposts (well it’s hard if you have to make your own casings!!!!) because you got called out for not knowing poo poo about gently caress, and I can’t wait to see what stupidity you type out next to own the libs.
You guys are trying to argue that in the absence of bullets that people will still have access to primers casings and bullets but I think you'll find that those things can also be banned and that ammunition does go bad over time, though the shelf life IS decades

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I thought Dolphin was trying to argue that guns should be as regulated as anthrax currently is, that's how weird and confusing this whole thing's been.
I was. They took that comment and latched onto it like leeches the same way they would if anyone called an AR15 an assault rifle

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

have you ever tried to drink moxie? it is already a bioweapon

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Dolphin posted:

Yeah no. A Whataboutism is a scapegoat for an action by calling attention to another action that someone else did, not a thread derail

I can see how a super touchy person would take the anthrax comment as a serious argument meant to be taken very seriously and intended to sideline the debate because I'm shaking in existential terror about an argument about gun control but in fact, no it wasn't

You guys are trying to argue that in the absence of bullets that people will still have access to primers casings and bullets but I think you'll find that those things can also be banned and that ammunition does go bad over time, though the shelf life IS decades

No you're totally right, it wasn't a whataboutism. It was just a really loving stupidly structured argument that makes gun control advocates look bad Doubling down and arguing with a couple of bio major goons with actual relevant experience to what you were arguing was really loving stupid, too. If you wanna know why the thread started yelling at you, it's because you made a poo poo argument and then doubled down on it, even if most of us might agree with the point you were going for.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

my understanding is the only thing you need besides 3d printed bits is a metal nail and the ammunition...

Sure, if you don't care about such trivial things as "hitting targets more than a few feet away" or "not blowing your hand off". Otherwise, you'd need one of the 3D printers that can print in metal, which tend to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and involve equipment not easily miniaturized into a hobbyist-level machine.

quote:

Banning guns in my mind is a sort of band aid that ignores the problems in our society, and my biggest worry specifically with banning or trying to reduce gun ownership through legislation would be that the other aspects are ignored because politicians and also a lot of the population in the US are lazy and like to pat themselves on the back and go "Oh we did a thing, look at us, vote for us, yay!" and ignore real problems. Just look at the ACA for a really good example of politicians doing a thing that was partly good and then being like "Yep, we did it we're done!" meanwhile healthcare in the US is still complete garbage and people are still going into forever debt just for hitting up the emergency room when they have no other options.

Or how the vast majority of gun control these days is focused around whatever was used in the last mass shooting to make headlines, never mind that such incidents make up a tiny percentage of overall homicide (most gun crime is committed with plain old handguns).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Sure, if you don't care about such trivial things as "hitting targets more than a few feet away" or "not blowing your hand off". Otherwise, you'd need one of the 3D printers that can print in metal, which tend to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and involve equipment not easily miniaturized into a hobbyist-level machine.

Or how the vast majority of gun control these days is focused around whatever was used in the last mass shooting to make headlines, never mind that such incidents make up a tiny percentage of overall homicide (most gun crime is committed with plain old handguns).

Aren’t handguns banned in the UK?

Also new gun control these days isn’t focused around poo poo because it does not exist in the US. I think you mean “what people talk about doing and then not doing.”

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guns are awesome. Those who wish to take firewarms away really need to fuckoff. people killed each other from 2 ft away with swords no problem 600 years ago, so I doubt any form of ban is going to somehow stop human violence.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Guns are awesome. Those who wish to take firewarms away really need to fuckoff. people killed each other from 2 ft away with swords no problem 600 years ago, so I doubt any form of ban is going to somehow stop human violence.

why did this low-effort shitpost somehow need an edit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LeoMarr posted:

Actually they had a lot of problems which is why swords were realitively rare and ceremonial.
Oh and depending on the culture they were banned to lower classes.
You are probably thinking of knives.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 5, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually they had a lot of problems which is why swords were realitively rare and ceremonial.
Oh and depending on the culture ere banned to lower classes.
You are probably thinking of knives.
The langes messer was the Sig brace of the 16th century. Because a desire to troll government regulators is an innate human characteristic.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The langes messer was the Sig brace of the 16th century. Because a desire to troll government regulators is an innate human characteristic.

Do this for bump stocks please.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KingFisher posted:

Do this for bump stocks please.
Pretty much any repeating firearm prior to the mid 19th century. They were all impractical nonsense more likely injure the shooter than produce any useful result. But people kept making them, and people kept buying them. Because a desire to make a more impressive noise than the next guy is apparently baked into our genes.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Historically speaking humans have been terrified of loud noises since the dawn of time, so much so that they invented gods to assuage their fears. The louder and more terrifying the noise, the more powerful the gods, that’s how Zeus got in charge. But then when the humans got the ability to make loud noises, the nuttiest of them started feeling like gods and developed a huge superiority complex linked to their noisemakers.

But their feeling of godhood and superiority because they’re able to make loud noises is as misplaced as the god-worship of their foreparents, and actually places them on the same intellectual level as literal cave-dwellers.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

That explains bagpipes.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Ah, Americans. So devoid of culture and taste that they’ll diss the bagpipes, a noble instrument by far older than their nation, and that produces a beautiful sound that has made countless generations dance.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ah, Americans. So devoid of culture and taste that they’ll diss the bagpipes, a noble instrument by far older than their nation, and that produces a beautiful sound that has made countless generations dance.

American culture is the best because we literally stole yours and ditched the bagpipes. (I don't know where you're from, but the beauty of America is it doesn't matter: We stole that too!)

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

If you call the mud that is industrially shat out by Americans "culture", then that’s your problem. I’m certain you’d also call a Guy Fieri burger "gastronomy".

We simply don’t have the same standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

If you call the mud that is industrially shat out by Americans "culture", then that’s your problem. I’m certain you’d also call a Guy Fieri burger "gastronomy".

We simply don’t have the same standards.

what does this dumb bullshit have to do with guns