Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

zapplez posted:

Can you honestly give me a reason new cars shouldn't be sold with a breathalyzer and speed governors built in?

Well, private car ownership should't even be allowed except with special dispensation in cases of necessity, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes we definitely need to be as worried about loving trees as much as we are about actual, literal weapons. A sensible position. That willow in my yard is looking pretty sketchy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crimpolioni posted:

Ok, give one good reason why not? Obviously one can't ' ban' the sea, but all of these things could and should be strictly off limits for any purposes that are not vitally necessary. Gathering drinking water, some forms of commercial uses etc, all of which would ideally be heavily regulated and performed by the state. You're sarcastically saying that dumbass kids are drowning but uh, they are drowning. That should supercede the right of fat tourists to roast themselves on the beach.

Birth is the leading cause of death it should be banned.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

Birth is the leading cause of death it should be banned.

I think this is too important a topic for you to be trolling about it like this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crimpolioni posted:

I think this is too important a topic for you to be trolling about it like this.

You talked about banning trees like 4 posts ago.

Trees.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Well, I wasn't the one who brought up trees in the first place, but to clarify I 100% don't think trees should be banned as in all trees being chopped down. A "ban" in this sense would be the same as with guns, in which they'd still exist due to necessity (national defense / oxygen production ) they'd just be under the control of the government (armies / parks departments), rather than private individuals.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Counterpoint : they're loving trees.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Counterpoint : they're loving trees.
Anyone loving trees belongs behind bars

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is it physically possible to gently caress a lake, river, ocean, or other body of water?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is it even illegal?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

But don't seem to correlate in frequency at all with ease of access to guns.

America has easiest access to guns.
America has most frequent mass shootings.
Where's the bit that "seems"?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerry Cotton posted:

America has easiest access to guns.
America has most frequent mass shootings.
Where's the bit that "seems"?

Percentage of households with a firearm in it has been going down since the 60s. Mass shootings have been on a stark increase since the early 2000s, when at the same time the overall violent crime rate and the homicide rate have been decreasing as well.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

zapplez posted:

Percentage of households with a firearm in it has been going down since the 60s. Mass shootings have been on a stark increase since the early 2000s, when at the same time the overall violent crime rate and the homicide rate have been decreasing as well.

Households seems like an odd stat to choose. How about firearms per capita?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

zapplez posted:

The amount of households that have firearms doesn't need to increase in order for the mass shootings to increase, people can use the guns they already have

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

But those insidious trees. Just standing there all branchy and immobile.

I just can't over that someone really brought up loving natural features in comparison to guns. loving hell. Pro tip : there isn't a factory making ponds. Nor have they been designed to kill. They're just low-lying patches that collect water. What is wrong with you.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

But those insidious trees. Just standing there all branchy and immobile.

I just can't over that someone really brought up loving natural features in comparison to guns. loving hell. Pro tip : there isn't a factory making ponds. Nor have they been designed to kill. They're just low-lying patches that collect water. What is wrong with you.

I'm imagining you as a grief counselor. "It's just a loving tree! Why the gently caress are you even sad that your child died, they don't make ponds in factories!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Unoriginal Name posted:

Households seems like an odd stat to choose. How about firearms per capita?

Households is a better measure of availability. America has a large amount of collectors that have 10-100+ guns. It skews the stats. In a lot of the cases for mass shootings its the 15-25 year old son that steals a gun from home. So it really just matters if there is or is not a gun there, not that its 2 guns or 50 guns in the house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zapplez posted:

Percentage of households with a firearm in it has been going down since the 60s.

Interesting factoid that has nothing to do with
A) access to firearms
B) the subject at hand

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerry Cotton posted:

Interesting factoid that has nothing to do with
A) access to firearms
B) the subject at hand

How does % of households with a firearm having nothing to do with access to firearms?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crimpolioni posted:

Sorry dude, birth has a 100% death rate, preventing death is more important than anyone's narcissistic desire to propagate their genes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

How does % of households with a firearm having nothing to do with access to firearms?

Because "access" is independent of whether people choose to buy something.

It doesn't really matter that gun ownership has been trending down, that didn't stop the parkland shooter from walking out of a store with an ar-15

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VitalSigns posted:

It doesn't really matter that gun ownership has been trending down, that didn't stop the parkland shooter from walking out of a store with an ar-15

And the Newtown shooter used a firearm purchased by his mother.

If we're going to talk about the ability to buy a gun, then we need to focus on improving background checks - something I think every (or nearly every) person who's posted in this thread is in favor of. If we're going to use a complete definition of "access" then the number of households with a firearm is absolutely relevant. It's probably a far more difficult topic to come to a consensus on the definition of "access" for the purpose of this thread, and how that should be regulated and limited.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

It was just as easy to buy a mag-fed semi auto rifle in 1980 as it is today. That doesn't explain the dramatic increase in mass shootings in the past 15 years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

It was just as easy to buy a mag-fed semi auto rifle in 1980 as it is today. That doesn't explain the dramatic increase in mass shootings in the past 15 years.

So what.

It was also just as easy to walk into a commercial airplane cockpit in 1961 as it was in 2001.

The ability to walk into an unlocked cockpit and hijack the plane doesn't explain why 9/11 happened, that doesn't mean you don't do something about the problem of access to the cockpit.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

zapplez posted:

How does number of firearms have nothing to do with access to firearms

Imagine a house with one gun, carefully kept in a gun safe because the owner has a child.

Imagine the same house with 100 guns. Are you really stupid enough to say these are the same thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you want to talk about access to firearms, you look at access to firearms.

If you want to talk about firearm ownership per household - a literally useless statistic - you talk about firearm ownership per household.

But rather then do either of those things if you are considering the latter, you should probably poo poo the gently caress off.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
firearms per household has been going down largely in line with overall urbanization of the country, and partly because hunting is largely a freakish hobby for maladjusted white weirdos.

guns per capita is going up because those same maladjusted white weridos are scared of losing their racial hegemony in this country.

and because they are insanely cheap now that any the barrier to running a milling/CNC/3D printing machine is so much lower than it was just 10 years ago. there is incredible variety out there, especially around the $250-$400 mark, both in the US and international production

it’s all socially-isolated “super collector” lone wolves from here on out

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

firearms per household has been going down largely in line with overall urbanization of the country, and partly because hunting is largely a freakish hobby for maladjusted white weirdos.

guns per capita is going up because those same maladjusted white weridos are scared of losing their racial hegemony in this country.

and because they are insanely cheap now that any the barrier to running a milling/CNC/3D printing machine is so much lower than it was just 10 years ago. there is incredible variety out there, especially around the $250-$400 mark, both in the US and international production

it’s all socially-isolated “super collector” lone wolves from here on out

Even for the most basic metal printers that could plausibly make a functional gun you're looking at a set-up cost of tens of thousands of dollars. More affordable plastic or resin printers produce dumb poo poo like the liberator gun which primarily exists to blast shrapnel at the user's face.

CNC mills are a bit cheaper than metal 3d printers but a serviceable model still costs several times more than a basic gun and has substantial running expenses. AFAIK deep accurate bores like for a gun barrel are also hard to do on a basic CNC mill. Niche poo poo like making AR lower receivers to put into an otherwise 95% complete gun kit are probably the extent to which they make sense.

Rapid prototyping or small scale manufacturing can't compete with mass produced consumer crap, they're useful when you need something right the gently caress now or with bespoke features. Unless you're willing to put a fuckton of effort into making improvised guns hobby machines have limited use for GUN.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

suck my woke dick posted:

Even for the most basic metal printers that could plausibly make a functional gun you're looking at a set-up cost of tens of thousands of dollars. More affordable plastic or resin printers produce dumb poo poo like the liberator gun which primarily exists to blast shrapnel at the user's face.

CNC mills are a bit cheaper than metal 3d printers but a serviceable model still costs several times more than a basic gun and has substantial running expenses. AFAIK deep accurate bores like for a gun barrel are also hard to do on a basic CNC mill. Niche poo poo like making AR lower receivers to put into an otherwise 95% complete gun kit are probably the extent to which they make sense.

Rapid prototyping or small scale manufacturing can't compete with mass produced consumer crap, they're useful when you need something right the gently caress now or with bespoke features. Unless you're willing to put a fuckton of effort into making improvised guns hobby machines have limited use for GUN.
i’m talking about commercial mass production, not end-users making their own junky single shot 9mm out of PLA.

the size of the market for 80% receivers, tool kits, jigs, and etc is enormous. add on to that the number of cottage industry outfits that have the ability to make semi-custom parts, including formerly “tough” stuff like barrels or fire control bits, and you have an enormous segment of mass produced crap that just wasn’t there a just a few years ago

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mlmp08 posted:

Interesting but not terribly surprising finding

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1169949914811588608

Well mass shootings aren't statistically significant, so it's not really surprising they don't affect anything.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

It was also just as easy to walk into a commercial airplane cockpit in 1961 as it was in 2001.

(it's actually harder in the 60s since there would be more people in the cockpit; at that time there was still a navigator depending on the carrier as well as a flight engineer; having 3 crew members is how the fedex hijacking managed to be foiled in 1994 from a guy wielding hammers and a speargun)

some planes still require large crew compliments, Antonovs are usually crewed by 6 from what I remember

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 22, 2019

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

i’m talking about commercial mass production, not end-users making their own junky single shot 9mm out of PLA.

the size of the market for 80% receivers, tool kits, jigs, and etc is enormous. add on to that the number of cottage industry outfits that have the ability to make semi-custom parts, including formerly “tough” stuff like barrels or fire control bits, and you have an enormous segment of mass produced crap that just wasn’t there a just a few years ago

A bit old, but a metal sintering 3D printer that can make an odd-shaped "real" metal gun part costs just as much as a 5 axis CNC mill that a machine shop would use to make an odd-shaped "real" metal gun part. I guess the printer could make a long-ish barrel better than a standard CNC mill (i.e. it can make a mediocre one, vs. no long barrel at all) but I don't think inside the actual barrel is where all the tacticlol customisations go.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 23, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Well mass shootings aren't statistically significant, so it's not really surprising they don't affect anything.

this is a nonsensical sentence.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Squalid posted:

this is a nonsensical sentence.
you’ll find nothing is “significant” to empathy-free hobbyist autists because it’s not happening consistently and personally to them

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

you’ll find nothing is “significant” to empathy-free hobbyist autists because it’s not happening consistently and personally to them

otoh policy should follow statistics more than public outrage

ban handguns stop worrying about tacticlol rifle attachments so much

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

The damaging effects of mass shootings extend beyond just the physical victims, and beyond even the people with direct relationships to them. Whether or not restrictions on types of guns or characteristics of guns is a necessary part of stopping them I don't know, but 25 people killed all at once is a different kind of crime than 25 people killed in 25 different incidents, and it's not reasonable to just compare bodycounts.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

captainblastum posted:

The damaging effects of mass shootings extend beyond just the physical victims, and beyond even the people with direct relationships to them. Whether or not restrictions on types of guns or characteristics of guns is a necessary part of stopping them I don't know, but 25 people killed all at once is a different kind of crime than 25 people killed in 25 different incidents, and it's not reasonable to just compare bodycounts.
The difference is the color of the victims.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

if you look at my post history itt you can see I'm basically just saying that over and over but "mass shootings aren't statistically significant" doesn't mean that, it doesn't mean anything. I'm not sure the guy who posted it even knows what a statistic is.

captainblastum posted:

do you think the effects of dispersed violence don't extend past the physical victims? Not going to check it right now but I recall hearing kids from communities effected by endemic violence frequently suffer symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. Mass shootings and individual shoots are ultimately different manifestations of the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

(it's actually harder in the 60s since there would be more people in the cockpit; at that time there was still a navigator depending on the carrier as well as a flight engineer; having 3 crew members is how the fedex hijacking managed to be foiled in 1994 from a guy wielding hammers and a speargun)

some planes still require large crew compliments, Antonovs are usually crewed by 6 from what I remember

Are you trying to argue that hijacking a plane was impossible in the 60s because of the presence of a flight engineer