Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jehde posted:

In my opinion, guns are good.

In my opinion guns are neither good nor bad, they're simply as good or bad as the society who chooses to carry them.

Dolphin posted:

Ban ammunition sales, do widespread gun buybacks, melt them all down. Our national nightmare could be over in a month.

I think any notion of purchasing back guns at this point is nonsense. You might, maybe, maybe cut down random shootings by a very small amount, but with the amount of guns in circulation unless it was a mandatory buyback type of thing not enough gun owners will sell them back to the government and a person who wants to shoot up something will still be able to grab them from their parent's gun rack or friends pick-up truck and go to town. As far as banning ammunition sales goes it would just increase the number of people producing and selling their own. On top of this as 3d printing becomes better and more readily available it won't matter if you completely ban guns, a person who can afford a gun collection can easily afford a 3d printer to print their own poo poo.

I think before we ban guns we have to take a good, long look at why we want to ban guns and address the why of it before anything else.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

3D printing? You still need machined metal parts, and ammunition. If someone's going through that much trouble to get a gun and kill a school full of children you're not stopping them with any measure. Those people (Anders Breivbitch) aren't the target of this kinda thing.

The trenchcoat mafia was probably not going to make their own guns if their parents didn't have any. More likely they'd probably just kidnap a kid to bully and then jump off a bridge or something like the good old days

my understanding is the only thing you need besides 3d printed bits is a metal nail and the ammunition and again its fairly trivial to make your own ammunition. I agree that banning firearms would reduce gun violence, there is no doubt in my mind. But I think that troubled people who want to do random violence will still be troubled people who want to do random violence and we should also be investigating what brings people to commit 'random' violence in the first place. Banning guns in my mind is a sort of band aid that ignores the problems in our society, and my biggest worry specifically with banning or trying to reduce gun ownership through legislation would be that the other aspects are ignored because politicians and also a lot of the population in the US are lazy and like to pat themselves on the back and go "Oh we did a thing, look at us, vote for us, yay!" and ignore real problems. Just look at the ACA for a really good example of politicians doing a thing that was partly good and then being like "Yep, we did it we're done!" meanwhile healthcare in the US is still complete garbage and people are still going into forever debt just for hitting up the emergency room when they have no other options.