Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

If you got rid of all the guns tomorrow the only result would be less people dying
If you got rid of all the cars society as a whole would grind to a halt cause we need them to get to work
As soon as someone compares cars to guns you know there isn't a functioning brain in that head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

zapplez posted:

If the argument is "your dumb toy/hobby is dangerous, therefore should be banned (because 0 deaths is too many for a toy) " what is the loving difference?

A gun is not a car

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004

~thanks!

A swimming pool is also not a gun
How many times do you have to hear this

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004

~thanks!

zappelz, upon seeing someone getting in their car to drive to work: "Hey have you considered using your gun to get to work instead, I mean they're pretty much the same thing!?"

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004

~thanks!

zapplez posted:

I was trying to make a point, we actually do agree on most things, but from the extremists that just blurt out " BAN EVERYTHING TOTAL DISARMAMENT" is loving stupid (and would never pass in law anyways) and actually sets back the shared goals we all have of making society safer. Also the whole "guns should be banned because its just a dumb hobby" is a really disingenuous argument as well because we as a society accept risks like that all the time.

I'd actually like to discuss exactly what type of gun control legislation would be possible and what people think is the right type.

As each month goes by, it feels like more and more mass shootings are happening. They are increasing at a rate that has no correlation to overall decreasing access to firearms. That is really concerning because obviously its not going to get better anytime soon unless we start thinking outside of the box on why people are acting out this way.

Mass shootings happen because of easy access to guns that let you kill mass amounts of people in literally less than a minute
This is something completely unique to guns and would not happen nearly as often without said easy access
Somehow, all the other countries in the world that actually regulate and control firearms don't have mass shootings every single day of the loving year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004

~thanks!

zapplez posted:

Percentage of households with a firearm in it has been going down since the 60s. Mass shootings have been on a stark increase since the early 2000s, when at the same time the overall violent crime rate and the homicide rate have been decreasing as well.

The amount of households that have firearms doesn't need to increase in order for the mass shootings to increase, people can use the guns they already have