Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Admiral Bosch posted:

Guns rule, arm the working class
Take guns from the police and give them to the homeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

So that's it. A seriouspost by flowers of Algeria. What do you think?
A good post that I strongly disagree with almost every part of.

You are essentially proposing to legislate a right out of existence by making it too inconvenient for anyone but the idle rich to take advantage of.

An outright ban would be more defensible.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

That is because I do not believe gun ownership to be a right, that is true.
Then what was the point of wasting all of those words seeking a middle ground that doesn't exist and that you don't believe in?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

So let’s look at the policy proposals I put forward. Would any of these limit your ability to engage in your hobby? If so, how? If not, why oppose them? And if they were put in place, wouldn’t you comply with them?
The combination of your proposals would price me out of my hobby, as is your intent.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dolphin posted:

What hobby? Collecting guns? Good.
You aren't supposed to say it outright. You're ruining the joke.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

.What I do expect is that my solution will cut down the number of unregistered and untracked guns in circulation over several decades due to them simply wearing out and having to be replaced.
Unless you store your guns in a humidor they don't "wear out" in any reasonable time frame

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

3D printing is a red herring. Building a rudimentary firearm has been trivially easy for 100 years. It isn't a huge problem.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dolphin posted:

To rent a truck you need a commercial driver's license and insurance.
On what planet?

To rent a truck you need $25. I don't think anyone even checked my definitely non-commercial license last time

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nah I meant a truck.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Where I live there is absolutely no government oversight at all of vehicles not on the road. That seems like a bad idea for guns.

Also no inspections. It's basically Mad Max with alligators.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dolphin posted:

Do you live in Syria

I hear they have wicked alligators there
I live in Florida. It's like Syria but slightly more violent.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I met the real NCIS and not one of them was a cute goth girl or Israeli secret agent. Real letdown tbqh.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

This explains so much.
I need guns to fight the hurricanes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Well, just because you're inept enough not to be able to make weaponized anthrax doesn't mean that any undergrad with enough moxie
I think you're confused. Moxie is a sarin precursor.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dolphin posted:

I like how you specifically picked the result that you liked, and the fact that the qualifier "large quantities for large scale weapons purposes" didn't clue you into the fact that you're wrong.
I have an AA in nuclear biological and chemical warfare from ITT Tech and I say you're both wrong.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually they had a lot of problems which is why swords were realitively rare and ceremonial.
Oh and depending on the culture ere banned to lower classes.
You are probably thinking of knives.
The langes messer was the Sig brace of the 16th century. Because a desire to troll government regulators is an innate human characteristic.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KingFisher posted:

Do this for bump stocks please.
Pretty much any repeating firearm prior to the mid 19th century. They were all impractical nonsense more likely injure the shooter than produce any useful result. But people kept making them, and people kept buying them. Because a desire to make a more impressive noise than the next guy is apparently baked into our genes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

That explains bagpipes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mulva posted:

Interesting.

You are from where again?
He's French, and therefore probably still sore about Uncle Sam having to bail his grandparents out of two world wars.

I maintain that the bagpipe is not an instrument so much as a form of protest against the Scottish condition. When the weather sucks, you're ruled by the English, and you have plenty of whisky, turning a sheep inside out and dancing to the resultant racket probably seems logical

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

there is no right to own a firearm.
There is though.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

We’ve already had this discussion before. Your statement is a meaningless tautology that offers no insight into anything.

"There is no right to own a firearm" means that there is nothing in the human condition that demands that human beings should own guns.

You never told me how my proposals wou
ld price you out of your hobby. Care to elaborate with actual figures or were you just low-effort trolling and you just didn’t want to say "but I don’t wanna!"?
I am utterly uninterested in debating philosophy.

As for the rest give me a couple hours to not be workposting.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 7, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

You never told me how my proposals would price you out of your hobby. Care to elaborate with actual figures or were you just low-effort trolling and you just didn’t want to say "but I don’t wanna!"?

Such a license can only be obtained if you show proof of regular attendance at a range

Range visits aren't free. $30-$50 an hour is common in my area. Depending on your definition of "regular" that quickly becomes unaffordable.

with specific classes
Classes aren't free either.

get a positive opinion from the gun range manager
loving LOL, better be white, straight, Republican, and 55+.

as well as one from a doctor
Easy $100 there, if not more.
Anything worth a drat is $500+, isn't getting up the stairs, and is probably heavier than the floor is rated for anyway. So I guess I better own my own home.

or store your gun at the range
This isn't a service that is available. If it was, and we go by normal storage prices for a locker-sized space, we're looking at $100/mo.

And we're assuming licensing is free (it won't be) and timely (it won't be this either). Altogether that's a shitload of money, the recurring cost alone is basically a car payment.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

japan has the best gun laws.
I support regulation requiring all guns be affixed to an 80' walking tank.

Gundams will, of course, be subsidized.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I make one goddamn serious post and now there's a katana registry.

loving America man.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Guns are fuckin' great.
I changed my mind. Ban guns.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

i mean if he packs the court with 50 judges we can just pack it with 150 right back

within only a few electoral cycles every american will be serving on the supreme court, twice
If the court doubles once per term it will have 300 million members by 2118.

Seems reasonable.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

triples, not doubles

accordingly by 2118 the bulk of the court will consist of cardboard cutout judges, made in america and finally bringing back those manufacturing jobs
And life on Earth comes to an end as America cuts down the last tree to make a cardboard judge for its 7.6 trillion member Supreme Court.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

how would he pack the court when he doesn't have control of congress in a couple months?
I admire your optimism.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

No one should be forced to live in New Mexico.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Noshtane posted:

It works for Switzerland at least.
Hoarding Nazi gold drives gun violence rates way down.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hmmmmm a country with high standards of living and good pay has less murders than America despite having guns hmmmm I wonder whyyyyyyyyy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Hoarding Nazi gold drives gun violence rates way down.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

JBP posted:

is there a way individual states can at least try to shore up their situation wrt particular guns or general gun ownership?
They can do everything short of an outright ban. NY, for example, has effectively banned semi rifles (and accidentally criminalized police when they did it). The law is widely ignored because NY is a poo poo state full of idiots.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah I think there is a lot of evidence showing that they shouldn't have guns.
NYPD trigger is all you need to know about whether NY cops should have guns.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Abandon the rule of law in Chicago? Just go full Escape from New York with it?
That's happening Sunday regardless.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I am absolutely shocked.

That they only found one

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Most perpetrators of violence are men and most victims are their domestic partners. So if you want to reduce the number of men obviously the best way to do it is to encourage both gun ownership and homosexual relationships.

The Greeks had the right plan all along they were just five thousand years early.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Squalid posted:

reaaaaally struggling to understand how someone could look at the Tulsa Race Riot and think: You know what would have improved this situation? More Guns!
I mean, the cops were a thousand percent complicit so there were always gonna be plenty of guns on Team Racist.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I doubt that the average gunowner hangs out on SA just to tell their friends they saw poo poo like this.

Edit: Wait, was Squalid a narc for the NRA this whole time? Everyone, hide your shitposts!

Two of those things are good idea though

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Squalid posted:

stomping on the black/grey market.
"NICS for private sales!" I shout at the heavens, but it is futile. God is dead. Somebody shot him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

So is there a reason anyone who likes to talk about background checks has ever expressed as for why NICS isn't open to the public?

Because that seems like a no-brainer.

Edit: Also for why states are not required to comply and why straw purchases are so rarely prosecuted?