Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
One thing that must be said about the YIMBY movement in its current form is that it is predominately leftist at its core, not libertarian. By empowering both public and private interests to construct more new homes where they're most needed, the housing crisis is diminished. By empowering renters against scummy landlords and taxing vacant homes at a higher rate, the housing crisis is diminished. Both construction and protection are necessary.

Urban NIMBYs (almost always home owning Boomers and GenXers who self-label as liberal or progressive) appropriate the language of affordability to rail against profit seeking developers, but never seem to get around to fight for affordability in their neighborhood once the latest multifamily menace is defeated and quickly shift into racial dog whistles ("just think of the neighborhood character!") if confronted on it. An old guard of genuine leftists also embrace NIMBYism on the maximalist premise that no new housing must be built that isn't affordable and I'm not sure how to get through to them that we can walk and chew gum at the same time...

To be fair to the older generations, I suspect many currently comfortable, "non-political" Millennials are going to exhibit the same status quo bias as they age.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

OwlFancier posted:

I just don't see how you go from building a business in the middle of a busy urban center, then steadily replacing all the urban stuff with more businesses and car parks until you've shoved everyone who would have gone to the first business out of reach of it.
Americans are just shockingly willing to drive 20+ minutes round trip to get to McDonalds or two hours to get to and from work. People who grow up with this being "normal" often just lack the motivation to reconsider their frame on the world with any seriously critical mindset.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ardennes posted:

But yeah, no one is talking about banning the construction of private housing or attached subsidized affordable housing, but as long as public housing is neglected, this issue is going to only get worse.
Not explicitly, but that is the effective consequence of fighting upzoning, with the consequence of massive gentrification in lower-income neighborhoods. All those entry-level tech employees just starting in SF or wherever make bank, but anti-density housing policy and legal challenges from rich house owners ensure that they often have only two options: gentrify low-income areas or contribute to the environmentally-devastating sprawl America is so well-known for. I don't write that as a sob-story for poor upwardly-mobile tech bro, just to emphasize that the status quo left-leaning NIMBYs help preserve results in exactly what they assert they are fighting against.

The left-leaning NIMBY alliance with rich property owners is bizarre as the latter 100% isn't going to support affordable housing at the scale and density our cities need. I don't know where your characterization of YIMBYs as anti-transit comes from... today's YIMBYs are almost all solidly on the left and are fighting to make our cities work for all of us.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
:argh: "drat this new-fangled late-stage capitalist architecture... excuse me while I masturbate furiously to enormous old Victorian houses originally built for the most well-off in our society!" —my neighborhood NIMBYs

Just because you don't like the aesthetic of something doesn't mean it's any less a home. If architects can offer more, better units at a lower cost by ditching the ornate superficials of the past, I'm all for it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, public housing is being built in the US regardless of what is happening. That said, there are other reasons to stop private developments, such as considering gentrification itself as a destructive force.
Here's a thought experiment: If a city blocks a private multi-unit development in one neighborhood, where will those people go? What will be the consequences of this?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ardennes posted:

A lot of people were probably either from local wealthy suburbs or from out of town in the first place. It is very possible they stay put.
Thus perpetuating America's excessive dependency on cars and all the environmental and societal costs that go with it. Wouldn't it be better to make it easier to replace million-dollar single family homes in rich urban areas with multi-family units that include a decent percentage of mandated affordability than to continue the clearly broken status quo?

vyelkin posted:

You're not wrong, but what we see in gentrified cities is not necessarily people moving back to the city and densifying and everything being great, but wealthier people moving back to the city driving up prices and pushing out poor people.
So some of those fortunate enough to have purchasing power have realized that urban areas offer more fulfilling living than the suburbs, but you're saying we should preserve the status quo rather than fighting for a future that works better for all?

Edit: I'm just at a loss for where you all are coming from. You cite consequences to poor residents that are unfolding today, where our cities make it prohibitively difficult to build multi-family units where people most want to live, leaving some of the people would would take those homes and apartments to instead either gentrify poorer neighborhoods or move to the sticks. And then throw up your hands and say "Better off doing nothing"?

By building more homes in smarter spots, we partially alleviate the forces of displacement, benefit the environment, and, if we fight like hell for it, mandate some measure of affordability in new buildings.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 18, 2018

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
These videos and the Franklin series are awesome and you all should give this individual your dollar. Maybe more! Dale's Pale Ale don't pay for itself.

At least in my area, the Twin Cities, YIMBYs tend strongly to agree with most of the solutions in the decommodification section, perceiving NIMBYs to be a bulwark to any change to the status quo. The most vocal local anti-gentrification activists also seem more interested in preserving the status quo than in working together toward a better future for all.

My main quibble with the video is 1m30s in which you state that the reason for the gentrification occurring in the neighborhood doesn't matter, as it overlooks why the gentrification is possibly occurring in this specific neighborhood, as opposed to the swathes of highly-valued single family homes in the neighborhood a few blocks away with equal potential transit access and distance from economic opportunity: exclusionary zoning and rabid opposition from monied house owners. One of the most import tenants of YIMBYism, to me, is putting an end to the exclusionary practices of wealthy property owners.

For example, a local neighborhood of rich shits that has been actively fighting to keep anyone but other rich shits from living close to "their" lake. The latest victim is a proposed 21-unit assisted living building. It has been decried for potentially: bringing in people dependent on Medicare, bringing in noisy ambulances to disturb the neighborhood's tranquility, and, of course, dozens of potential grandchildren taking up the neighborhood's street parking.

Thread:
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/1031700909347282946

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 23, 2018

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

fermun posted:

In my experience, the most important tenant of YIMBYism in practice, has been fighting against the rights of tenants and enshrining the exclusionary practices of wealthy property owners and developers to build more housing for those like them, the wealthy urbanist.

edit: I live in San Francisco, where my experience of YIMBYism is as such http://www.sfexaminer.com/endorse-prop-10-no-sf-yimby-faces-soul-defining-choice/ the leadership against even allowing any city in the state to enact a rent control law.
I'm not sure how this is a response to my quibble? I don't have experience past Twitter for the Prop 10 fight, but the active un-abashed YIMBYs I follow would disagree with that assessment. The general consensus around Prop 10's failure was that it did need to better address the decommodifcation of housing and that the next attempt will do more from the start.

Why not work together toward the better future instead of getting in fights that result in the perpetuation of the current unsustainable status quo? Get out there and talk with left-wing YIMBYs and see how you can move forward?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It is also, why I think either mixed-income public housing or heavily subsidized affordable housing is the only way to cut the Gordian knot. It probably isn't going to be viable to keep out high-income earners forever, but the solution is simply to increase the cost of entry and use that to "spread the wealth" to the rest of the neighbor.
This. Cities need to take up the burden rather than only leaving it to private developers and mandating carve outs to address affordability. The reason I also fight for the latter is because it's still miles better than the status quo of Boomer NIMBYs fighting to keep their single-family housing in the middle of the city.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

I guess this thread is perhaps dead but I wasn�t sure where else to post this article: https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/10/prop-j-initiative-exposes-rift-among-austin-environmentalists/

Interesting discussion of how density splits environmental groups, including one leading Austin environmentalist saying we should just do more sprawl development because that�s good for the environment somehow.
This is bizarrely common amongst critics of density/non-car transportation. "I support the fight against climate change, but am unwilling to accept the slightest change to my current circumstances!"

And that's generously assuming that they aren't arguing in bad faith. In Minneapolis, citizen journalists have uncovered that, far from being the heroes of the downtrodden they make themselves out to be, the leaders of local NIMBY efforts are rich, privileged, and conservative. The city council gave in to a lot of their demands, severely scaling back proposals for 4-plexes and carving out a massive area of downzoning in the richest neighborhoods of the city.

Unrelated, but here's a thoughtful article on why "YIMBY" isn't a perfect slogan to rally behind and why "Neighbors for More Neighbors" is catching on in the Twin Cities (and yes, I've picked up one of their signs for my apartment window!). N4MN doesn't roll nearly so well off the tongue, so I think I'll stand behind both labels.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Urban living in the truest sense DOES suck in between the filth, the noise, and the congestion.
These sound like consequences of policy more than anything inherent to modern urban living.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
From a month ago, but I was too lazy to post it: Minneapolis, Tackling Housing Crisis and Inequity, Votes to End Single-Family Zoning

quote:

In a bold move to address its affordable-housing crisis and confront a history of racist housing practices, Minneapolis has decided to eliminate single-family zoning, a classification that has long perpetuated segregation.

The Minneapolis City Council voted last Friday to get rid of the category and instead allow residential structures with up to three dwelling units — like duplexes and triplexes — in every neighborhood. Minneapolis is believed to be the first major city in the United States to approve such a change citywide.

Peggy Reinhardt, 75, an advocate who supported the decision, hopes the change will mean more housing options around her Uptown Minneapolis neighborhood. She sees young couples in apartments who cannot afford to scale up to $400,000 houses, while elderly residents nearby are “house rich and cash poor” and have few options to downsize in their neighborhood.

“It’s that missing middle,” she said.
Basically, in addition to upzoning along major transit routes, the Council has enabled triplexes across the city. This hopefully means that we'll see more duplexes and triplexes going up (or into newly-renovated homes)—as opposed to the single-family homes (often McMansions) that were the only things allowed previously.

It's not the answer to the problem of affordability, but it's an important piece of the puzzle. Unmentioned in the article are the less contentious portions of the plan that outline direct investment in affordable housing, modes of transportation beyond just cars, and more.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Insanite posted:

I don't feel like the YIMBY crew are peddling useful solutions, even though they're en vogue with local politicians, but the tenant advocacy and poverty law folks I've talked to seem like they're only delaying the liquidation of the urban poor.
The majority of YIMBY voices I hear are also proponents of tenant rights, transportation, and government-funded affordable housing. There's a weird strawman that goes around this thread that YIMBYs are single-minded libertarians, when that's the absolute opposite of the reality I see.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

Honestly, ugly brutalist housing projects are a step up from what a lot of cities have housing-wise.
Homes—it's the people inside that count!*

* Yes, and access to economic opportunity and cultural enrichment; I'm just trying to make a pithy quote here, jeeze. The NIMBY deriding of new homes not fitting some aesthetic standard from the 1890s is just incredibly grating. A new building may provide homes to several dozen new families, but if it does have enough loving faux-brick in its facade then it's an affront to all that is holy, apparently.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Insanite posted:

Doesn't everyone deserve a nice built environment, though?

Saying that aesthetics aren't important in affordable housing feels a little like saying that food stamp recipients don't need fulfilling diets--just gruel or nutrient logs.
Sure, being able to find a home that you personally find aesthetically pleasing is valuable and something we should strive for in a decommoditized housing environment.

However, the imposition of one very narrow idea of what is aesthetically sufficient is problematic--particularly when it used by groups that are very comfortable in their current housing situation to scale back or even block the construction of new homes for those who are insecure in theirs.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The topic of San Francisco home prices and hours-long commutes came up in the company-wide general chat channel a bit ago (Midwestern company, for reference). Everyone talking about how ridiculous it all was without really addressing solutions, until one guy pops in and says "wow, wouldn't it be nice if more multi-family buildings were built closer to where the jobs are and on major transit lines? It's a shame wealthy single-family house owners are actively blocking them there!"

Immediate response from otherwise very intelligent coworkers: "excuse me? I wouldn't want someone to replace MY house, either!" and "pffft, there are too many high-rise office buildings as it is--we should just distribute companies' offices better throughout the region!"

People have a tough time looking at a problem from outside the frame of reference they're comfortable with.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Insanite posted:

I guess I wouldn't call "resisting capital turning every inch of my little city into a smart investment vehicle" a bad decision.
Problem is that this is effectively the status quo in many thriving metro areas, whether development is going on or not. A significant number of the single family homes in my city have been purchased as "investments", with the owners then actively fighting any new multi-family development that would threaten to alleviate pressure on the market for homes. While a number of these property owners aren't the ultra-rich by any means, they are still exploiting the system for their own private gain at the expense of all those looking to find affordable homes in the city.

I also agree with others in the thread that I've never heard urbanist circles really push skyscrapers—there's instead a massive focus on the "missing middle" (duplexes, rowhouses, 5-story apartment buildings). Some even go further and fetishize a city like Paris, without accounting for it actually being an example of the poor being priced out of the city proper by strict height and aesthetic restrictions (and an unhealthy dose of anti-African and anti-Arab racism). We need to enable and provide construction for what the population needs to have easy, environmentally-friendly access to employment and culture, not hold it to an arbitrary standard.

And, again as mentioned above, we need governments to act on a city-wide or even metro-wide basis to ensure the rich and influential living in homogeneous neighborhoods don't have the ability to carve out an enclave for themselves at the expense of others.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

luxury handset posted:

paris is beautiful as hell. problem is, you need a literal dictator to hand over absolute control of site planning and eminent domain to an aesthetics obsessed architect-tyrant
Definitely. I'm not saying that Paris isn't gorgeous, just that freezing the city core in time without sufficiently addressing the adverse effects on disadvantaged groups has caused real harm, both to the affected populations and to the legitimacy of the government in the eyes of the broader French public. Point was that cities should be allowed to evolve to meet the needs of all those that hope to live and work in them.

That's just my glancing impression from living in the country for two years, at least. Definitely welcome any actual français ou françaises pointing out holes in my understanding of the Parisian banlieues.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I say rent control fine as a stopgap so long as supply and demand are completely out of whack. Which they are just about everywhere semi-desirable.
This. There needs to be some kind of stopgap measures in place to ensure that the negative externalities caused by new development don't destroy the livelihoods of existing residents. Unlike complaints about insufficient parking or detriment to "neighborhood character", families are at risk of serious harm from unplanned displacement due to rising rents. That said, rent control doesn't address the housing crisis and will leave everyone worse off if not coupled with public and private development to meet the needs of those looking for homes. Plus, if older apartment buildings aren't meeting the needs of those living in (and looking to live in) the city, there does need to be a way to replace them, but I have no idea what that looks like or how it could be done humanely if residents don't want to move.

I feel like one of the biggest reasons people on the left on the east coast are less likely to be outright YIMBY is because urban areas are already denser and the average person more likely to be a renter—when you see new developments replacing existing apartments and displacing the disadvantaged, it's hard to get behind. Here in the Twin Cities, so much more of the fight is focused on neighborhoods zoned exclusively for single family homes in the early 20th century with the clear intent to enforce racial and economic segregation. Enabling construction of a duplexes, triplexes, or larger multi-family buildings is being fought for as an alternative to the replacement of expensive single family homes from the 1950s and earlier with ridiculous McMansions. There is less direct displacement going on from new developments, though some newly trendy neighborhoods are seeing rents increasing well over the already excessive baseline increases.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
In St. Paul, the city council is well on the way to gutting the originally ambitious plan for medium-density, mixed-use development on the site of a former Ford auto factory, all at the behest of the developer. One small, but infinitely frustrating part is eliminating the minimum unit requirements in what's regarded as the most desirable part of the site along the river. It was previously merely requiring at least duplexes, but now will welcome what will undoubtedly be a segregated zone of extreme wealth as they set up mansions.

All the opponents of the initial plan who so exploited the rhetoric of affordability when railing against multi-family buildings are inexplicably* supportive of the change.

*Actually 100% explicable: it's racism and classism

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Kill all golf courses plz and thank you
Urban cemeteries, too. Thousands of acres of prime land utterly wasted.

(for the record, whenever that time comes, I hope to have my loved ones spend as close to nothing as possible disposing of my corpse)

In other news, guess the three unifying characteristics of the neighborhoods with the most appeals against my city's appraisal of their property values:
https://twitter.com/scttdvd/status/1137002352811094016
They're the wealthiest, whitest, and the likeliest to oppose multi-family homes

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

"Luxury" is a marketing term in housing development. It's about as meaningful as "artisanal" in food.

The development of new "luxury" housing pushes prices down in other housing sectors, as the yuppies go for the new stuff and those who aren't well-off can afford to rent or buy the older housing stock. If not enough new housing is being built for requirements, yuppie types renovate older housing stock, pushing out the local residents (gentrification.)
It is maddening that a lot of old-school left-wing folk are unable to get their head around this idea. Gentrification happens to in-demand areas, regardless of whether new multi-family construction is going in. Sure, new, "luxury" development can make an area more "trendy", but rich assholes are already tearing down old single-family homes to replace them with ludicrous new single-family homes; limiting new multi-family construction is only going to raise the price barrier for entry. And yes, of course we 100% should construct more outright public housing and institute tenant protections—allowing new market-rate buildings is just part of the solution.

Bonus points when the 70-year-old, self-described Progressive arguing against new market-rate development shows up at a different City Council meeting to rage that their neighborhood just isn't the type for affordable housing to be built in because it would damage the neighborhood's well-off white character. But hey, they have an "All Are Welcome Here" sign in their yard, at least!

Cicero posted:

19% profit margin being 108,000 means the cost of building each apartment is $570,000. Jesus Christ.

Kind of surprised having more prefab stuff hasn't caught on. Seems like it would let you save on labor costs a lot, even if the labor hours stayed the same you'd be able to shift them from the bay area or other high cost metros to cheap areas.
"Psshhh, if it's not a 1920s brownstone, it's just a bunch of giant shipping containers where they pack people in like sardines. No one should live like that! Young people should invest in a starter home instead of throwing money at evil landlords. (and actually, 1920s brownstones are an egregious violation of the neighborhood's original founding intent and we should raze everything but the single-family homes built in 1880)" --actual arguments drawn from my neighborhood

Actually, I'd really love to see a serious look at the accusation often bandied about that all modern building materials are destined to fall apart in twenty years. Sure, construction is often using newer, cheaper materials different than those used in 1920, but a poorly-constructed/maintained building is going to fall apart regardless. I also often (but not always) see the argument made without an alternative being offered and alongside other bad-faith, anti-renter arguments, so it's hard to take seriously.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Its really not that building materials are inherently more prone to premature aging nowadays. Its the complete lack of care from developers who just want it built as quick and cheap as possible. My team was hanging fire protection pipe in the attic of a 4 story “luxury condo” building over the last few weeks, and the number of half- nailed or not-loving-nailed-at-all truss braces was staggering. If that roof doesn’t blow over in the next hurricane it will be cause our pipe hangers kept it together more than the braces did.
Here's me betraying my ignorance of the relationship between developer (the entity coordinating the project) and constructor(s) (the entity or entities implementing the building of the project). It's my understanding that these are not typically one and the same, though they often have a close relationship. Is that accurate?

Can you confidently assign blame for the encountered issue to the developer vs. the constructor? Presumably you notified the developer—did they decline to correct the issue? Don't get me wrong: developers are largely rich shitheels skimming profit off the back of a basic human necessity and would in a perfect world be replaced by a public entity operating expressly for the betterment of the community. I just often see rage against developers for issues that pop up that may be just as easily explained by mistake or negligence from parties the developer is relying on to perform adequately.

Plus, as others have already added, it is hard to picture the current state of affairs being uniquely different from past eras. Building codes exist because developers and construction companies built poo poo buildings because they were cheapskates and/or incompetent and public outcry brought about change. Massive swathes of buildings from earlier eras have been torn down because they became unsafe or simply no longer met contemporaneous expectations. Massive swathes of still extant buildings from previous eras exist only because someone along the way was able to throw oodles of money at major problems that arose (or were smart/lucky enough to catch and correct them before they cost so much). We can and should expect more from all involved, but acting from the questionable premise that things are now uniquely bad may damage our ability to make meaningful advances.

I'm also kind of okay with expecting buildings to have an end-of-life date that doesn't greatly exceed a human lifespan. The needs of the denizens and would-be denizens of an urban area can change wildly in the intervening period. New construction can also, done right, offer a better platform for modern living. The desire to preserve all old structures places a wicked bottleneck on a city's ability to adapt and results in harm to disadvantaged residents when more people want to live in an area than there are homes available to them. (And yes, wild, unmanaged development can acutely harm those same residents if cities and developers are not forced to take them into account)

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 8, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

residential land != "most cities".
What does this mean?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The tweet that was the basis for this convo begins with the categorical "Things that are illegal to build in most American cities now, a thread". The rejoinder from Cicero is about "most residential land", with a bunch of other qualifiers. "!=" is shorthand for "does not equal".
Yeah, I was looking for you to expand on what exactly you mean by that. Minneapolis, for example, had vast swathes of mandated single-family-only residential zoning within city limits until the 2040 Plan allowed for missing-middle housing city-wide. Seen from that context, I can't make heads or tails of what you mean.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 29, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

actionjackson posted:

We definitely have #5 in Minneapolis; I guess we are an outlier (?).
Yeah, the building that the Longfellow Grill is a part of comes to mind. In some narrow transit corridors, the Twin Cities have had the zoning in place for denser construction for decades. The lack of such new construction in those spots until the last ten years has been due to a mixture of developers not believing there was a sufficient market for it and, upon realizing there is upon seeing Millennials moving back to the cities, being fought tooth and nail by the house-owners in the neighborhood.

My radicalizing moment was attending a neighborhood meeting about a proposed new four-story apartment building that brought out the well-off, white Boomers in the neighborhood to scream about how renters are dirty, noisy, and just don't fit the character of the neighborhood. They proceeded to levy a series of costly lawsuits against the developer and the city and nearly succeeded in getting their transit corridor zoned down to allow only single-family homes.

It's important to note that Minneapolis and cities like it often have a number of duplexes, triplexes, and even fourplexes sprinkled throughout the city, grandfathered in before the application of zoning codes that effectively replaced racially-restrictive covenants. Streets.mn does some great work on housing and transportation policy in the Cities.

I'd much prefer city and regional governments directly investing in, owning, and managing new housing than loving landlords, but the social and climate imperative of building up our cities is great enough that I'll accept the latter so long as we fight for inclusive zoning, rent control, and elimination of parking minimums along with it

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

As long as there is no alternative to driving, people will own cars and find a place to put them. Your point here is a kind of accelerationism where if we just start making car driving miserable, then public transport will all of a sudden get funded. But driving is already miserable if you can't afford to live close to work.
Eh, it's worth recognizing two things:
1) The actual developments that go up with minimal or zero parking are often those that are already transit adjacent
2) Broadening the constituency for public transport, bike lanes, and straight up walkability is worth it, especially if proponents can also push policies that ensure broader affordability near areas of opportunity. Yeah, this is because many policymakers are unfortunately more likely to listen to the well-off who choose transit than the disadvantaged who need it, but the change still benefits all.

I had a similar reaction as you to congestion pricing when I first heard about it, because you're right that it incurs a disproportionately high cost on the poor who've been forced into car-dependence by prohibitive housing costs in the denser areas. What matters is both what policies you institute alongside that address affordability and what you do with the money from the congestion pricing: do you just finance further highway construction and continue the never-ending sprawl or do you invest in alternative modes of transportation?

Eliminating parking minimums should be (and often are) a single facet of a broader policy shift.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Parking minimums only kinda make sense in dense urban environments where public transit and lots of street parking is available and the developer can free ride off of a public good.
Not sure I understand this sentiment. By eliminating the parking, you make alternate modes of transportation both more necessary and more viable. All the parking minimum does is remove space that might have held more people and businesses. Free-riding off the public good of public transit is exactly what we want to encourage.

Street parking, much less so, but parking minimums are even worse.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

I don't think the last two words in the bolded sentence are true, but that might be because we are using different definitions of "more viable." Elimination of parking minimums without funding more public transport will not make the buses run more frequently.
I chose the phrase "alternative mode of transportation" because foot traffic gets short shrift. Walkable neighborhoods are more viable when you don't waste time on cars. This obviously isn't as viable in a low-density environment already catering only to drivers, but its worth recognizing for other areas.

With the right policy and non-brain-dead developers, the space that might have been reserved for parking can instead be filled with space that is full of people. To take an extreme example, think about plopping down a cafe in downtown Seattle. My friend from the burbs might recommended it be a single-story building with a sizeable parking lot and drive-thru so that folks like him can stop in when they're traveling through downtown without risking exposure to "the city". After all, how are they going to make any money without drivers‽

He didn't quite grasp the idea that said cafe being just one portion of a larger building full of potential customers who could walk in might easily supplant the audience willing only to drive in. Great guy, but firmly blinkered by the car-dependent environment in which he'd been raised in.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 2, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

TLDR: NIMBYS in rich, exclusive, white neighborhood full of mcmanshions near DC are freaking the gently caress out over a small number of townhouses for seniors
Heh, Minneapolis had something similar in 2018 where a small senior living facility was shot down by the very wealthy neighborhood's mansion owners. There were demands there be at least two parking spots per resident so that visitors don't take up street parking (nevermind that every house within 5 blocks had at least a two-car garage). There were also complaints that the flashing lights and noise of ambulances caring away grandma when she fell and broke her hip would disrupt the neighborhood.

Basically, raze all mansions is what I'm getting at.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Insanite posted:

If I weren't a gross STEMlord living in a market-rate condo, I don't think I'd give a drat if building lots of new housing for biotech engineers and software developers might possibly make things slightly less bad for me down the line. I was housing insecure a lot growing up, and it sucks tremendously.
This makes the mistaken assumption that those engineers and developers won't move into the neighborhood if that new housing goes unbuilt. Not building doesn't eliminate the reason folks might want to move in, so those that don't have their hearts set on newer housing stock will start taking up those homes that already exist, again driving up rents/prices. You could maybe block employers from setting up shop nearby, but that would just screw over existing residents in a different way.

The specific project with a better-than-most ratio of market-rate to affordable homes seems like the best achievable solution in the current moment and was, I assume, only achieved after extensive fighting from affordability advocates. I'm 100% behind also fighting for widespread federal public housing programs, but that cause is not furthered by completely rejecting the project in question.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Appeals to history are too often thinly-veiled defenses of a status quo that is untenable for the majority of people. A reporter in Denver had a pretty good on-air editorial on the folks fighting bike lines even after multiple cyclists were murdered by drivers.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
While we're still in the throes of the pandemic, the usual suspects and more than a few useful idiots have taken the opportunity to decry density as a catalyst for disease and promote further sprawl and dependency on personal car ownership. There's fortunately been some pushback, but I fear there's far too many people who will accept the argument at face value as it's easily intuited and the (correct) counter-argument requires diving a bit deeper.

A nice article on the subject:

quote:

When a pandemic comes, cities scare the hell out of people. The crush and bustle of the sidewalks and subways feels like a big petri dish. One instinct is to run... This choice rarely turns out well.

That’s the paradox of the megalopolis. Its population density means it’s the place where viruses often begin and that epidemics, if undetected, can explode fast there. New York is about to become a major focal point of infection and mortality, and London is not looking too good, either, because they didn’t close their crowded drinking places earlier.

But the biggest cities are also the safest places in the world.

Only they have the infrastructure, staff and organization to really quash an outbreak –
Taipei and Tokyo, both more dense than New York, were able to flatten their virus-spread curves almost instantly using the unavoidable communications, visible deterrence and bureaucracies that only a tight-packed urban centre can muster. If you’ve spent any time in a small town, you’ll know how hard it is to keep people inside or away from each other.

And only huge cities have the resources and the reserve armies of medical talent to tool their health-care systems up to pandemic-level capacity in time to save lives. New York, because it’s able to build and staff huge convention-centre hospitals in short order, will have a lower mortality rate than the smaller, more elderly towns and cities that will be hit next.

Still, we have an atavistic, deep-set fear of big cities as pits of disease. For thousands of years, that is what they were – until their very scale, and the things they contain, flipped the formula upside down.

Don't read the comments.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Those property taxes are probably also making gentrification worse in America directly too. I was pretty shocked when I learned my relatives in NJ were paying over 10 grand a year in property taxes. That's nuts and I can see how increasing property prices can drive out someone who otherwise would be able to afford living there. In contrast I got the annual property tax bill a couple of weeks back and it was less than $100.
Aren't property taxes a lagging indicator, though? They're paying a lot in property tax because property values in their area have gone up a lot.

I'm not sure how best to address that beyond being sure that freezing property taxes in any way is a terrible idea that only produces a bunch of old fucks who bought in when things were 50x cheaper and are intolerant of any change in their neighborhoods. Abolish all private land ownership, imho?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
There also would need to be some alternative mechanism to encourage the adaptation of whatever structure exists on the land to the needs of the broader community. As much as it would be cute that my great grandmother continue to reside in the ranch house she bought 80 years ago, there are real societal costs to her doing so if the number of people who would benefit from living in the area outstrips the number of available homes. Forcing our cities to evolve in a way that treats current residence as absolutely sacrosanct would inflict terrible consequences on everyone, even assuming an enlightened approach to public transit that would allow newcomers easy mobility no matter how far out they're shunted.

Removing the property tax would also eliminate one of the huge incentives to replace any existing structure with more units: where the purchaser might have previously decided to bring on more residents to offset the high tax rate on the high value land (assuming the neighborhood doesn't already ban multi-family homes), there's suddenly even less reason for the rich not to build themselves ridiculous mansions in areas people are clamoring to get into.

But you're right that rising property taxes are likely to first hurt those least able to adapt to the change and I don't know what to do about that beyond ensuring folks have the means to make a change without discomfort and maybe somehow requiring that the property be redeveloped into more units that will be affordable to those that were displaced.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

I just don’t get this attitude that people are just expected to abandon their families, friends and communities on a regular basis to move to the new “middle of nowhere” and start all over again because someone richer moved in. There’s a cost to having a longer commute or worse just having to find a new job. There’s a cost to getting settled in a new place. There are massive costs if you happen to be a minority and the cheap state’s laws suddenly deny you access to healthcare, worker protections based on who you marry, or the right to vote.
The argument from (most) YIMBYs would be that our urban policy should facilitate or directly provide for the adaptation of existing housing stock to the needs and demands of the current and future community versus a status quo where density is effectively locked in place. If we were building the housing our cities required, folks wouldn't have to move to the middle of nowhere: there would be already be housing readily and affordably available elsewhere in their existing neighborhood. Hell, ideally, the government would support the moving process itself to reduce the uncertainty and risk that involves, both financially and emotionally.

Instead we're stuck in a FYGM vicious cycle where those that have some security are constantly punching down because they fear their own position is precarious and have developed unhealthy neuroses about any and all change. Many even think they're punching up by blocking the development of denser housing, even as the well-off gobble up the scarce and overpriced lots that come available and replace them with McMansions.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

And gently caress apartment living,
Sorry you've had bad experiences and have lived in areas that are handling the housing crisis especially poorly. Codified tenant protections are essential to keeping landlords from taking their tenants for granted, as is making it easier for tenants to find other homes where they want to live. To me, the missing middle in urban areas would ideally involve a lot of 4-6 story, mixed-use apartment/condo buildings.

I've been fortunate enough in my lifetime of renting to have had nothing but mildly positive experiences with various buildings' management. Apartment living in a walkable, transit-accessible area can be great, if not outright empowering for those who can't or don't want to put up with the burden of ownership.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
lol a golf course in Seattle is valued at 97% less per square foot than the average single family home in the city. I'm going to put this down as another point for the importance of accurate land value assessments and levying appropriate property taxes to block wild misuses of scarce urban land.

https://twitter.com/pushtheneedle/status/1257030176132628480?s=19

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Usually house-owners use coded racist/classist language to object to affordable housing proposals in their neighborhood ("this isn't the kind of neighborhood for affordable housing!" and "this would disrupt the neighborhood character!"), but this lady clearly missed the memo

https://twitter.com/_Almaqah/status/1311516809582063616?s=19

Once you get the bile out of your mouth, check out this actually good rundown of six lovely city charter provisions that desperately need to be changed: https://streets.mn/2020/10/01/addition-by-subtraction-six-anti-equity-items-to-remove-from-the-saint-paul-city-code/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Kalit posted:

The whole "caring about the neighborhood" aspect is a pretty funny defense. When Minneapolis was passing their 2040 plan to upzone the city to allow triplexes, this was a common defense (e.g. "they'll bulldoze our neighborhood"). My response was to say if they and their neighbors truly care about their neighborhood, they could just not sell to the highest bidder if it's a developer. Problem solved.
Not going to bother to dig it up, but there was a report that one of the main opponents of the plan pushing the "don't bulldoze our neighborhood" schtick had actually bulldozed their own house gone and replaced it with a brand new mcmansion. Or something along those lines.

Turns out the anti-bulldozing folk don't give a gently caress if the person is wealthy and white.