Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
1) Build more public housing either directly or through private-public partnerships.
and
2) Increase taxes on vacant properties to discourage hoarding.

Public housing doesn’t have to be bad. South Korea has pretty good public housing. It’s not as popular as private but it’s clean and safe and near public transportation.

Shrecknet posted:

We'd need to drastically reform every city but NYC to make them accessible from anywhere instead of car-focused/-required.

That’s true. If we can do that we’d be halfway there.

nelson fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
There’s a home in my neighborhood that has some roof damage from a fallen tree and has been vacant for a couple of years now. Last I looked it was owned by a bank but it doesn’t have a “For Sale” sign in front of it.

I can only speculate why. My theory is that the house is worth more to the bank on its balance sheet than the cash they could get for it if they were serious about selling it. Is that plausible?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Baronash posted:

Folks are going to need additional help, so it's not enough to just hand them the keys to a house without regard to what issues contributed to their homelessness in the first place. And if the community has the will to provide those additional services, then there would be no need to resort to empty houses, because properly funded shelters, short-term housing, and substance abuse treatment facilities are a far better way to help those same people. Not to mention that you're only going to worsen the rate of homelessness as your vacancy rate craters and rents shoot upward.

Yes, also make sure everyone is allowed to work. NYC is having a homeless problem with migrants who are fully functional but are barred from working legally. It’s the stupidest thing.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
First American City to Tame Inflation Owes Its Success to Affordable Housing

“In May, the Twin Cities became the first major metropolitan area to see annual inflation fall below the Federal Reserve’s target of 2%. Its 1.8% pace of price increases was the lowest of any region that month.”

“Well before pandemic-related supply-chain snarls and labor shortages roiled the economy, the city of Minneapolis eliminated zoning that allowed only single-family homes and since 2018 has invested $320 million for rental assistance and subsidies.”

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kalit posted:

Any chance you could post the full article please? I’m paywalled off from it

Does this link work?

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/first-american-city-to-tame-inflation-owes-its-success-to-affordable-housing-1.1956752.amp.html

If it doesn’t work directly, I found it by putting the headline in google and clicking the BNN bloomberg link.

nelson fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 9, 2023

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Self driving cars can lead to more car sharing which would reduce the number of cars.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kalit posted:

While this would probably lead to a reduction in personal car ownership (a good thing), it will probably have people choose using a self-driving car over transit, walking a handful of blocks, etc.

Maybe. But it also means less parking space is needed which leads to denser development which would make walking or public transit more viable.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
My sister in law lives in S. Korea and in her complex there are about 6 high rise apartment buildings and an entire retail center, including movie theater. The retail part is still a separate building but it’s only a short walk down the sidewalk and some stairs (or an elevator) because all of this is built on the side of a hill. The high rise apartments and the retail center share the same underground parking garage (the parking for visitors is separated from the parking for residents).

The point is, retail does not literally need to be on the first floor of residential buildings but it should be close enough that walking to it is easy. Also subterranean parking.

nelson fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
My idea was keep roads, remove parking. Residents and businesses still receive deliveries but you save lots of space. Or if you must have parking, put it underground.