Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Literally every city in the US (other than a handful of colonial-era city centers) is "Basically Milton Keynes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, in the US, it's not usually the bulldozing of high-density residential to build parking lots, it's the bulldozing of trees and fields and single family homes on acreage to build apartment complexes with 3 parking spots per unit and developments of single family houses on small lots and retail establishments with giant parking lots.

When one area reaches capacity, they just go a little further out and turn some more forests and cornfields into strip malls and tract houses. Until eventually the only place a regular working stiff can afford to live is a hundred loving miles from anywhere with anything other than lovely retail service jobs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Quote is not edit.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 4, 2018

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

luxury handset posted:

-in the 2017 photo, you can see a new factory top left of center. i'm assuming it is some kind of manufacturing or assembly plant because of the amount of parking (all full!) where a warehouse or distribution center would have far more trucks and less employee parking. it is clearly an industrial use because it is a large, boxy building that is located immediately adjacent to a highway onramp. so, that's indicative of the level of infill you often see as growth around an american metro continues to expand - there is plenty of space to put brand new factories and the like

Actually, it's a Costco! The one across the road that gets built first is a Fred Meyer. There's an outsized demand for retail due to proximity to the Canadian-US border. https://www.google.com/maps/@48.7894999,-122.5076121,16.22z

quote:

also note the clearly defined large square lots - looks like a PLSS area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Land_Survey_System

Yep.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

KingFisher posted:

Like in my example tallest thing allowed on the mall site is 6 stories.

Nowhere in this loving state to build a residential building over ten stories so everyone gets to pay $1200+/mo for a lovely 1br in a 3 story apartment complex 70+ loving miles from, you know, where the jobs are.

Even Amazon building a loving company town won't help.

:sherman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, it wouldn't be a D&D thread about urban planning without posters assuming every rural or suburban is just an ignorant racist needing to be forcibly relocated to the city, or at the very least bussed in to watch a production of Hamilton.

Bunch of loving white collar six figure techbros who think 'affordable housing' means a bigger, cheaper Bay Area condo for them so they can finally afford to buy a boat.