Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I'm a planner. Have this:

https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Environment%20and%20planning/UrbanDesignCompendium.pdf

This was published by a bunch of planners in the UK who recognized we were headed in a bad direction and decided to compile some rules of thumb in regards to planning communities.

Some current broad trends in urbanism:

The South will Rise: Forget your New Yorks, Hong Kongs, Londons, and Paris'. The majority of urban development will take place in the Global South in cities like Lahore, Jakarta, Lagos, and this includes population growth. Growth in the North has not stopped but is slowing down. This is due mostly to the shrinking, aging populations of the North. Without immigration, for example, Canada would be barely breaking 20 million citizens and stabilizing at about 15 million instead of its current population of approx. 35 million.

Shift from Suburbs to Core: Cities sucked. They were dirty, dangerous, polluted, places that your parents were glad to get away from. People are still moving to the Suburbs and it is still seen as the best option by the majority of people to raise their families, but now we are seeing the pendulum shift back towards the City Core. Why? Because we have you in all your millenial glory, childless, deracinated, atomized, wandering the world from one city to the next chasing after work. You don't want kids. You don't want to compromise your materialist bugman lifestyle of consumption so you have no incentive in buying a nice big house to have 2.5 kids and a dog. Much better that you get yourself a pied-à-terre, a small 1 room flat in some major city as you do contractual work until you hit your mid-life crisis, become overwhelmed with existential dread and try to find a partner to start a family. Now we add to the recipe your aging parents who are looking to downsize, cheap housing stock in dilapidated urban cores of major Northern cities compared to ever high demand for suburban land (think Detroit, Baltimore, Montreal), and humanity being crammed on top of each other like sardines.

The Big Debate about Laissez-Faire or Centralized Planning: You will find in your Anglosphere countries the primary adherents of Laissez-Faire planning. Canada, for example, has absolutely no national policy on urban development. It is left entirely to its provinces who delegate it in turn to its smallest actors, the municipalities themselves. The other side of the coin are heavily centralized countries like Japan, Germany, and France who enact national policies on development and guide economic activity. Since the majority of humanity now lives in an urban environment (as of 2005 approx), Cities such as Sao Paolo or London, with millions of residents, must have some form of centralized governance to make sure we don't degenerate into anarchy. It basically boils to "How much power must we give to a central governing authority?" which leads to interesting things like the Mayor of London having, in some ways, more power and clout than the Prime Minister of the UK.

"Dad, Get out of your loving car": We're well aware cars are literally killing us. They take up too much space, cost billions in infrastructure, wreck your physical health and are boiling cities alive. Have a video: https://www.nfb.ca/film/saga_city/ Long and the short of it is that we are going to tax the ever living poo poo out of you and make life miserable if you insist on using a POMV for your daily travels. the Day of the Compactor is coming.

Modern Infrastructure sucks dick from behind: Cheap, flimsy, extremely polluting glass towers that need to be redone every twenty years? buildings that rely on tensile strength which collapse after 5 years? Most of us want to strangle modern "architects", but one of the big problems is that the schools pumping out these designers and architects have forgotten/do not want to teach tried, tested and true building techniques. Worse still, in my opinion, is that the public loving hates modern forms of architecture but no one wants to compromise their "artistic expression". Bottom line is that old architecture is greener, cheaper, more durable, and (most importantly) more popular with the people who actually have to live in those buildings, and if we're lucky, we'll rein in the politicians who enable them.

Like I said, these are just broad trends. I dunno. I gotta go yell at people over a collapsing freeway interchange that was approved 40 years ago without a proper review because of JOBS JOBS JOBS MY LEGACY JOBS JOBS JOBS. Go read about the Burgess City Model and the Chicago School or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU