Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

quote:

Modern Infrastructure sucks dick from behind: Cheap, flimsy, extremely polluting glass towers that need to be redone every twenty years? buildings that rely on tensile strength which collapse after 5 years? Most of us want to strangle modern "architects", but one of the big problems is that the schools pumping out these designers and architects have forgotten/do not want to teach tried, tested and true building techniques. Worse still, in my opinion, is that the public loving hates modern forms of architecture but no one wants to compromise their "artistic expression". Bottom line is that old architecture is greener, cheaper, more durable, and (most importantly) more popular with the people who actually have to live in those buildings, and if we're lucky, we'll rein in the politicians who enable them.

Could you elaborate on "tensile strength collapse"? That sounds pretty... uh, alarming.

I would love nothing more than to see new construction revert to more traditional, older style architecture. If it is greener as well, fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

withak posted:

Hating the architecture of new buildings is a thing that has happened since Grog got pissed off about Grag's new cave.

Genetic fallacy. Just because new buildings were hated in the past doesn't mean that hate wasn't justified. What matters less is not the hate of particular architectural styles but rather the reasoning behind criticism.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

luxury handset posted:

i don't like (new_thing) it is not like the thing i am used to, (old_thing). this new thing represents change, which i do not like, as it reminds me of the passage of time and my own mortality

Actually, I think you'll find that the architecture of late stage capitalism reflects the values and quality of late stage capitalism.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

:argh: "drat this new-fangled late-stage capitalist architecture... excuse me while I masturbate furiously to enormous old Victorian houses originally built for the most well-off in our society!" —my neighborhood NIMBYs

Just because you don't like the aesthetic of something doesn't mean it's any less a home. If architects can offer more, better units at a lower cost by ditching the ornate superficials of the past, I'm all for it.

They tell you they're going to lower costs by ditching the ornate superficials, then they ditch the ornations and pocket the difference themselves. Welcome to capitalism.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Meanwhile, the guys who used to do the ornamentation job are out of work, and too old to retrain. They now work as walmart greeters.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

It sounds like it could be an effective tool in low-humidity environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The suburbs are the worst of both worlds: you miss the opportunities and thrill of the city, while at the same time being deprived of genuine proximity to nature and sense of community in actual rural towns.

I think it's important to distinguish, however, between suburbs and actual small cities. I grew up in a small city of around 20,000 people, and I worry sometimes that when people are plotting the demise of the suburb, small cities like my hometown will get lumped in with it. It has a downtown, a particular culture, a sense of character which is missing in suburban sprawl. Yeah, there are some suburb-like housing developments on the perimeter of my home city, but they aren't the defining feature. A good source to look at when celebrating the potential for small cities is James Kunstler. Admittedly, he has some kooky ideas, but he has a pretty great ted talk on the vapidity of modern American architecture.