Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The best short term solution to this problem is that unless you work in a super specialized field, there’s plenty of lower cost cities to move to where gentrification has been minimal. St. Louis, Birmingham, Dallas, Kansas City, Charlotte, and other areas are full of cheap housing and plenty of decent white collar jobs if you’re just looking for generic cubicle-dwelling office type work. Everywhere has brewpubs and dive bars and cafes with four dollar toast, so you won’t be culturally deprived, either. You might have to actually talk to a Republican now and then, but I think it’s a fair trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Could you elaborate on "tensile strength collapse"? That sounds pretty... uh, alarming.

I would love nothing more than to see new construction revert to more traditional, older style architecture. If it is greener as well, fantastic.

A frequent rallying cry from NIMBYs is “we don’t want more ugly glass cube condos going up”, so a switch to more aesthetically pleasing architecture would cut that argument off at the knees.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

Suburbs don't have have to be lovely like the US does them. Plenty of suburbs in other developed countries that are still reasonably dense with good transit going into the city.

This is honestly the only true plus of living in the city for me, besides being close to work. With the exception of a few new urbanist developments and college towns, you need to live in an urban core area to truly have walkable neighborhoods with mixed development, at least in America. My ideal home isn’t a podpartment in a sea of highrises, it’s a townhome with a backyard big enough to comfortably grill in, a few blocks away from a trolley stop that’ll take me to work.

Urban living in the truest sense DOES suck in between the filth, the noise, and the congestion.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Philly has this in abundance.

Noted for when I decide to seriously plan an exit strategy from the cyberpunk hellhole that is the SF Bay Area.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Congestion wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is if Americans didn't have some weird, passionate hatred for mass transit. Cities would also be way less filthy if Americans didn't have such a weird, passionate hatred for the government actually doing things. A few tax dollars, a couple of city employees with cleaning tools, and hey, the city is significantly less dirty all of the time!

BUT BUT BUT MAAAAH TAXEEEEEESSSSS :bahgawd: *moves to the suburbs, works in the city, bitches that the city sucks because it has no money*

Counterpoint: SF is possibly the most trash ridden city I’ve ever seen in the states and it’s hardly a haven for teabagging chuds. We even vote to increase our taxes on occasion.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Remulak posted:

It would also be great if we could opt out of the monetary system. Perhaps employers could provide an alternative currency, or 'script' that could be used in their benevolently provided housing?

I think he’s talking about shopkeepers living directly above their businesses like Polk Street in Frank Norris’ McTeague, not company towns.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rent control is kind of a band aid knee jerk response to other systemic problems that are causing astronomical rent. It's a symptom rather than a disease; if you need a rent control law then something else has gone horribly wrong.

I know several old people on social security here in SF who would be on the street if it wasn’t for rent control.

On that note, there seems to be this lovely mindset among anti-rent control folks that renters shouldn’t be able to stay in their apartments long term because “they don’t own it”.

I say rent control fine as a stopgap so long as supply and demand are completely out of whack. Which they are just about everywhere semi-desirable.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 6, 2019

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Definitely ban golf courses in drought-sensitive areas, imo.

The average golfer can probably afford tickets to go to Scotland on the reg if they really need to pursue such a lame, tedious hobby.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

My relatives think raising kids in an apartment is child abuse because the kids can’t go outside unattended (assuming this is one of those gated condo communities in the suburbs or a building in an urban core) and all the neighbors will hear them screaming and carrying on all the time and will hate us.

I think it was this thread that pointed out that newer buildings tend to not have paper thin walls and this isn’t nearly as much of a problem.

Not having a backyard or a space outside to do whatever the hell I want in private is a big downside though, honestly.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That depends on the park. There are a lot of parks where if you want to just fire up a grill with five of your best buds and grill some burgers you don't need anything extra special. Big parties you might need to pay a few dollars to get a pavilion but small groups you can just have. In the case of apartment buildings there's usually some kind of communal green space for the building or nearby ones. Rooftop gardens are also becoming increasingly a thing. It varies by location obviously but there are places that even moderately sized groups can just kind of show up at.

And really if you want to be drunk and mostly naked that's what bathing suits and places like beaches or river banks or whatever are for. There are places to do that that aren't your yard. Basically anything you can do with a yard you can do with some kind of shared green space.

What if I want to dig a pit to bbq a pig in? Or grow a garden that won’t be picked clean by inconsiderate passerbys? Or I just want to hang out in the sun without being bothered?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

There would be 10 million amendments writing zoning restrictions for specific lots into the constitution

https://twitter.com/BrooklynSpoke/status/1162016063720218624?s=20

My impression with Colorado Springs is that it’s long been infested with surburbanite chud boomers who hate things like necessary taxes to pay for road maintenance and street lighting, as well as change in general. Someone hating bike lanes because they think it’s a point scored for their political adversaries is not surprising.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Boise is throwing a giant fit over turning into a real city, following in the same footsteps as the rest of urban PNW.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-10/go-back-to-california-wave-of-newcomers-fuels-backlash-in-boise

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

CongoJack posted:

My part of Idaho has been yelling about Californians since like 2005.

Its wild though, used to take an hour to get into Boise from my home town at any time. Now you have to actually plan your trips around rush hours. It really does feel like it's turning into a Seattle esque nightmare a little more every time I go visit.

I mean, it’s gotta suck for those who moved to Idaho for a slower pace of life versus computer touchers who only care about finding the best bang for their buck in terms of COL and probably do things like complain they can’t get good burritos and play their boomboxes on hiking trails.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

As a Californian living in Germany, it's downright impressive how bad most of the 'Mexican' food is here. Hope you like lots of sugar in your salsa!

Same with the PNW as a whole outside maybe Portland and Seattle. I still remember a chain called Senor Froggy that offered “Mexifries” (tater tots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Affordable housing is like the one thing developers and NIMBYs can agree on

“We can’t have it because it might ruin our investments”?