Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When implemented fully, dense mixed zoning tends to be so well-liked that everybody and their dog trying to move there drives up the prices, leading to some to mistake it for a gentrifying design that should be opposed, when in fact they're just rare and desirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

poo poo's complicated. Any solution to any of these problems is going to require multiple components, each of which individually might accomplish nothing or even make things worse without the other components. Also the solution as a whole will have to be resilient to compromises necessitated by accommodating people trying to live through it while in progress. "X won't save us" is kind of a facile objection.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

EVs not only won't save us, they will actively make things worse without a bunch of other changes that basically nobody with any power is talking about making.

That is what I said.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Because, I suspect, this is the Urban Planning thread.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the argument is that the total abolition of road vehicles in all contexts isn't a practical way to improve the overall car situation. This is confusing because I don't think anybody was calling for the total abolition of road vehicles in all contexts.