Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If it takes you 10 years to ask the locals about your plans for your impact study, the problem is not the talking to locals it is that you suck at talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe not every single building but some of them for sure. Lack of this mix-use is something that I dislike about the area I live in, I have to walk for at least 10 minutes before I get to anything that's not residential. That's porbably not bad by NA subub standards but it makes the area completely dead and not even worth going outside unless you're actually going somewhere else.

This is something both new and old commie residential developments generally lack. The older ones at least had a bunch of other useful facilities mixed in and not just endless apartment blocks. So here there's a bunch of sports fields, kindergartens, schools, and a doctor's office. But otherwise nothing going on, after exploring street view for a bit, the only business I could see on the ground floor is a... custom bathroom designer? I'm sure it's great but not something that could liven up the area for local residents like a cafe or a bakery.

poo poo like that woks great in the olderer downtowns so it's a bummer these developmetns are so lifeless.

I did grow up in a west German "commie block" style settlement. And there is a boring outer ring of pure residential mid-rises surrounding an inner main road with mixed use mid-rises and pure facilities like parks and schools and Aldi. And the train station.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Those kind of ground apartments with garden are mostly popular with families with small kids, here.
The only single woman living in a ground apartment that I knew was my grandmother. And she lived in one with all the windows facing the inner yard of the doughnut shaped apartment.
When I lived in a ground apartment as a kid there was an underground parking garage across the street, and every-time a car left I got hit with the highlights shining into my window bright enough to read. Which is an underestimated problem.

A more serious problem with classic 2 floor row-houses is that they tend to have quite bad wheelchair accessibility. There are also stacked rowhouses which are even worse for those purposes, despite being amazing to live in in all other situations.
Here is one, the stairway leads to the upper outside walking space. Each of these entrances is a 2.5 floor rowhouse equivalent. With gardens in the back or a roof lounge for the upper entrances:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.085...i8192?entry=ttu

Also trying to look for pictures reminded me, that that is part of the largest Plattenbau aka "commie block" arrangements in Germany. It is not in the east.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 21, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm sorry, are you arguing that urban areas can't have food without trucks or...?

No, I think he is saying that urban areas can't have food without privately owned muscle cars somehow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that the argument is that the total abolition of road vehicles in all contexts isn't a practical way to improve the overall car situation. This is confusing because I don't think anybody was calling for the total abolition of road vehicles in all contexts.

The pro-car argument requires that you pretend that privately owned SUVs are exactly the same as commercially owned delivery vans and tractors.