Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
What's a charrette? Wikipedia is not very helpful in this context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Panzeh posted:

also i am an expert on post-tensioning systems and managed a lot of PT projects as well as drafting a lot more PT stuff including the FIU bridge that went down in Florida

let me know if you have any questions about it

:stare: You...drafted...that....bridge?

What the hell happened there?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
This is so drat true. Re fragmentation, in New Jersey we even have a word for the phenomenon: Boroughitis.

One other thing to note is that consolidating all of these municipalities will never, ever happen even if the Fairy Godmother came and zapped all racism from the Earth. Why?

In New Jersey, at least, school districts. The schools are the absolute locus of a town's identity, essential to its sense of being. Even now, I'll use an example.

I grew up in the Ocean Township school district in Monmouth County. That school district actually served (serves? I forget current status) multiple towns, Ocean Township and a little tiny place called Loch Arbour.

By and large, Loch Arbour had only the thinnest separate identity from Ocean Township. Loch Arbour kids were Ocean kids who had lakefront or beachfront property. (Irony: Ocean Township has...no frontage on the ocean. Long story.)

There was otherwise minimal difference, at least when I went to school from when I started handicapped pre-K at age 3 until 2002 when I graduated.

Consolidating municipalities will never happen, at least in the NJ case, because of school districts. School district consolidation happens only after the greatest screaming, because it is absolutely true (my mom was in real estate for 30+ years) that people decide where they want to live based upon which schools their kids will go to. If your schools suck, you are doomed, it's that simple.

How does this feed into planning? Well, the reality is that (at least in the part of NJ I'm from), until the 1970s-1980s, towns were very very ethnically divided. Neighborhoods were, even. I'd have to check sources before I gave examples, and I don't want to do that at 6 AM, but believe me when I say there was a town where the Irish lived, a town where the Italians lived, a town for the Poles, a town for the WASPs, and on and on. It wasn't just ethnic, too, it was also religious.

(Nowadays, everybody's having freakouts because of the Hasidic Jewish population coming up from Lakewood and down from Brooklyn. Jews were always a weird exception - the area has historically had a heavy Jewish population even if their strict numbers weren't that big, and they've historically been well-integrated for as long as I (or my parents, who moved from Boston in the early 70s) can remember. The key, though, was that they were Reform and Conservative Jews, with only a slight presence of Orthodox or ultra-Orthodox Jews. Now, things are changing - it's very much the case that the Hasidim's most vocal and angry opponents are other Jews, though.)

Before anybody asks: Class is a bit weird on this part of the Jersey Shore. We've always depended on tourism from NYC, even during the days when we had Fort Monmouth and Bell Labs etc providing jobs. There are economic divides, yes, but they're slightly more muted than I've noticed elsewhere in the US. It helps to remember that this area is kinda a mix between first-line suburbs (we grew originally because of the railroad bringing folks from NYC to the Jersey Shore) and second-line suburbs (a lot of the area, until the 1970s-1980s, was farms, with cows and horses! (It blew my mind as a kid to realize that what I thought of as a long-established shopping area in my town had, 10-15 years prior, been someone's farm)), but the general theme is that a lot of people live in this area, but work in NYC or in North Jersey. At least as a kid, this meant that even if everybody wasn't all middle-class or higher, there wasn't a yawning gap. Not within a school dsitrict, anyway.

Looping back to the thread topic, this means: Yes, if my area were a SimCity or Cities Skylines map, you would somehow have to represent the fact that each area on the map is probably its own separate town. It makes any sort of regional planning (Great example: They announced the closing of Fort Monmouth in 2005, closed it in 2011, and it was utterly botched by the towns) really difficult, simply because Mayor A's constituency is very very different from Mayor B's.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Does anyone have anything on planning/housing *outside* of SF/the Bay Area/California....?

(I live in NJ, going to be living in Florida near West Palm Beach...This whole California-focused thing feels like it'd be better in a California-focused tbh? Like, when I see DCCC I don't even know what it's referring to since it's obv not the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee...)

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

luxury handset posted:

if you do not advocate for government reform you will not ever achieve meaningful land use reform.

Problem in the American system. By "government reform" it usually means consolidation/regionalization, no?

Home rule is a biiiiig thing, though, especially in the Northeast. The system is expressly set up to prevent that sort of consolidation in a lot of ways, because within states the major urban areas otherwise do ride roughshod over the suburban and rural areas on basically everything, and no the needs of (for example) Monmouth and Ocean Counties are not the same as Essex County (Newark) or Camden County (Camden), and you bet none of the above's needs are remotely similar to Salem and Gloucester counties (South Jersey, very rural). And New Jersey isn't the worst example, think of "New York transportation planning that's openly, not just subtextually, dominated by NYC and leaves the Northern Tier hosed" or any number of more rural states where if you're outside the urban corridor you'd be hosed.

Between states, well, the Port Authority of NY/NJ is a great example of why interstate bodies are hosed. And since the states are independently sovereign of the Federal government and may not be combined by federal action (only split), you can't regionalize that way.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So there's absolutely no value to the pedestrian concerns (see the final quote re taxi pickup)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I see. OK, two different concerns in that article. The roundabout, yeah, get rid of it. Widening the approaches, though, might want to be considered a bit more.