Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Probably already posted somewhere in this thread, but here's some Youtube channels I've been enjoying on Urban Planning

Not Just Bikes:
https://www.youtube.com/@NotJustBikes

Armchair Urbanist
https://www.youtube.com/@alanthefisher

City Nerd
https://www.youtube.com/@CityNerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ham Equity posted:

I really like Strongtowns:

https://www.youtube.com/@strongtowns

Their older stuff has good content, but is really dry and kind of hard to watch; they recently hired a dude to make their YouTube videos for them, and they have gotten way better.

Also, the best NotJustBikes video is one of the ones he did with StrongTowns (which I am absolutely certain has been posted in here before):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

I've posted that exact video, just not in this thread.

Strongtowns is also good.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Yeah complete miss on having big old trees lining your driveway

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Speaking of city planning the city of LA has no plan.

There never has been one, literally. Many cities have a master planning document, LA does not have that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
LA actually got some folks planning on converting office space into apartments

https://la.urbanize.city/post/residential-conversion-planned-33-story-office-tower-1055-7th-street

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hmm, wonder how that's gonna go for them. My superficial understanding is that a design intended for an office space is ill-suited to adaptation for a residential layout, but any new homes are better than none.

I've always heard that, which is why I posted. It might be that the LA market is so expensive that the financials make sense.

Per the article, there's already a bunch of adaptive re-use happening in LA, and more here than anywhere else.

https://therealdeal.com/la/2022/11/15/la-leads-nation-in-apartment-conversions/

quote:

Let's see if it gets through the reactionary NIMBY gauntlet.

Doubt it will have issues

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 21, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PT6A posted:

It's also worth remembering that homelessness isn't just the crazy dude on the sidewalk, or the tweaker. It's the people living in their cars, couch-surfing, all that poo poo. They just need homes, and there's no reason to think they need a whole bunch of "support" to be able to maintain a home in a safe and reasonable fashion, beyond providing them a home they can afford.

There's a ton of "car camping" videos on TikTok/IG and while some are affluent white 20 something influencers doing "van life", it seems clear that most of them are young people trying to make the best of a ridiculous market.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

sim posted:

And even if everyone instantly switched to EVs, we'd still have a climate crisis: battery charging uses a grid based on fossil fuels, batteries are resource intensive to produce; because of the extra weight, there will be more wear and tear on the road which requires oil to repair, etc. People driving four thousand plus pounds of "utility" on a daily basis is the problem, not the particular engine that powers it.

If you instantly switched everything to EVs, you'd have made a huge dent in the carbon we're putting in the atmosphere.

Yes we should make cities dense and spend lots on mass transit. EV's aren't a solution but they're also not the devil.

Yes we should electify everything and add density and make our power grid renewable, and EV's dont' change any of that, but they're also not the cause of all of that, just a convenient target for being angry at cars.

Cars suck but EV's aren't why you don't have a ton of nuclear buildout

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Minenfeld! posted:

"Realistic" in this context inherently means patting yourself on the back for being smarter than everyone else who demands better things. You don't demand better things. You demand change in snall increments because it's what serious people do.

Was somebody doing that or was that how you interpreted other people's arguments?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Cities often will do the absolute minimum but you need an actual plan for a walkable city, not a cargo cult.

Apple's building a huge new building in LA right next to a train station and most of their space will be completely private and internally facing, and they have an entire block.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cicero posted:

That said I'm not sure it really makes sense to mandate that every apartment block have ground level retail. That seems like it would probably be too much retail; even somewhere like Tokyo you're not gonna find retail at the ground floor of every single aparment/condo building. Along major streets though, sure.

Tokyo even on major streets, its more like 10 floors of apartments, next to 10 floors of retail. It's a bit of a mindbender when you go as an American because you're so trained to imagine the only retail you need to know is the first floor but there's plenty of good stores top to bottom.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

You see, the neat thing about Tokyo's land use especially is a lot of the train stations are built with retail on top. Little mini-malls that are super conveniently placed and which the (private) train operators can charge rent on (and get some pretty good rates too since there's huge traffic going to/from the station)

Some of the best places I ate in Tokyo were like 3 levels underground at a train station

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kaal posted:

Well this is precisely why ground floor residents typically do close the blinds and lock up anything they leave in their yard, and it's also why everyone - particularly women who unsurprisingly have greater concern about privacy and security than men typically do - wants to move to upper floors. The solution is to fix the problem with fencing, not insist that it doesn't exist.

Yeah I've seen women told explicitly by family members to never rent a 1st floor apartment.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Natty Ninefingers posted:

This is a solved issue anywhere with adequate seismic code.

No it's not. LA has spent over a billion on this and there still thousands of buildings that need a retrofit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Minenfeld! posted:

EVs being heavier than comparably sized vehicles is a large safety issue along with shedding much more from their tires.

Depends what your goals are.

If you want to reduce rubber waste, yeah go for internal combustion.

If you want to reduce carbon emissions, go for EV.

Nothing is perfectly sustainable in every way.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sure, but there's a carbon footprint for building those, and running them.

Obviously public transit is preferable, but there's always going to be personal vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Minenfeld! posted:

If your goal is to reduce carbon emissions, you want to reduce VMTs above all else.

Sure, but if you're going to have individual vehicles they probably should be electric, and you'll likely still have them no matter what.