Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mobby_6kl posted:

The ground floor apartments in my building have little backyards which seem to be more than most people really need, based on how they're actually used. But could be a good option to convert people too used to mowing their suburban backyards

The biggest thing about ground floor apartments is the lack of privacy and the sense of insecurity. Having lived on what was effectively a ground floor (due to a hill our balcony was about five feet from a common pathway), it was always a bit weird to have people constantly walking past our windows and looking into our living space. We had to lock up our bikes when we stored them on the balcony, and when there was a fight outside one time, we felt particularly vulnerable. Adding tall fenced yards to the ground units can help with both issues, and create a real amenity for residents, but it has to be done correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think this is just because of the familiarity with living in single family homes with big setbacks. I've lived in several apartments which have no access restrictions (either ground floor access or you can just park and walk up to a second floor one even if you don't live there. I currently live in a rowhouse so someone could obviously peer into my windows if they wanted. It's not an issue. And if you want some privacy, just close the blinds.

Well this is precisely why ground floor residents typically do close the blinds and lock up anything they leave in their yard, and it's also why everyone - particularly women who unsurprisingly have greater concern about privacy and security than men typically do - wants to move to upper floors. The solution is to fix the problem with fencing, not insist that it doesn't exist.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 21, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

Those kind of ground apartments with garden are mostly popular with families with small kids, here.
The only single woman living in a ground apartment that I knew was my grandmother. And she lived in one with all the windows facing the inner yard of the doughnut shaped apartment.
When I lived in a ground apartment as a kid there was an underground parking garage across the street, and every-time a car left I got hit with the highlights shining into my window bright enough to read. Which is an underestimated problem.

The inner courtyard solution is a really good one, though it has struggled to penetrate the American market which often maximizes square footage. This is also the sort of issue where it becomes more of a problem as the structure gets larger. In a small rowhouse you might have a few neighbors walking by occasionally, but you probably know them and it's not a big deal. In a big apartment building you'll get dozens or even hundreds of strangers going by all the time, and the privacy and security issues are significant and unrelenting. Much like your experience with the apartment facing the parking garage, a relatively minor irritation takes on a much greater significance when it is repeated constantly.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The issue isn’t really that electric cars are impossibly heavy, it’s that Americans only want giant vehicles. At 3,500 lbs the Chevy Bolt is significantly lighter than the average American car weight of 4,100 lbs. But it and its 2,300 lb gas-engine equivalent the Chevy Spark are being discontinued, because people prefer to spend big money on giant trucks.

Electric cars will become popular as the price declines. Every other consideration will be sidelined.