Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Badger of Basra posted:

At this point I think we'd be better off if the Council just bumped up the floor on every single residential zone so that you could build at least 2 units on every single lot in the city, if you wanted to. It would be a lot simpler and the effects would be much clearer.
Nashville has a kind of weird zoning situation where almost all the core neighborhood lots are allowed to have at least 2 "condos" on them which basically meant duplexes until Nashville exploded and everyone wanted SFHs. At first they were required to be joined in some way so there are a lot of party wall 2-pack townhomes but also some really dumb stuff like this: https://goo.gl/maps/2Zc23va4stB2 . Everyone realized that was dumb so amended it to allow 2 free-standing "horizontal property regime" units on a single lot. So on, for example, a 50'x150' lot there are two SFHs, but legally each owner only owns the structure, and all of the yard etc is owned in common by an HOA of 2.

https://www.whereyoulivetn.com/2017/05/16/nashville-hprs-what-should-i-know/

Everyone mocks and hates on the tall skinnies but IMO they're one of the best things going for Nashville right now, at least in terms of allowing densification of core neighborhoods. However, I'm betting the thousands of mini-HOAs are going to lead to a lot of nasty legal fights, they should really just mass-subdivide those lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any updates to the neighborhood have to bring up the home value or everyone's major investment for retirement looses value.

Mah Home Values!! :bahgawd: is the free space of NIMBY bingo. It's just an excuse for not liking something people have already decided they don't like and it's almost certainly an unverifiable claim. IMO it's mostly bullshit since people wanting to build new stuff in your neighborhood is likely a good sign for property values, unless it's a highway bypass or garbage dump or something.