Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

At this point I think we'd be better off if the Council just bumped up the floor on every single residential zone so that you could build at least 2 units on every single lot in the city, if you wanted to. It would be a lot simpler and the effects would be much clearer.

Without a broader plan in place though, you end up with something like some of the neighborhoods in San Diego, where you can tell that single family houses were just subdivided and additional structures built on the lot behind them, etc., until you have like 5 units on what used to be a small residential lot, and all the parking issues that come with that because no one bothered to consider transit issues that increased density brings. Austin has a housing problem, for sure, but that will sort itself out if it would bother to properly address its transportation issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some recent talk about golf and how much it sucks and how a lot of golf course communities are dying because their game is expensive and sucks and no one under 70 wants to play it in numbers to keep all those places afloat in another thread got me thinking, are there any examples anywhere of these places being turned into European style allotment farms? I saw some mention of some developer or another wanting to do something along those lines to a failed course, but it was in Arizona or some other hot deserty place entirely unsuited to farming pretty much anything. It feels like a pretty solid idea, though. I know urban farming has taken off in some rust belt cities, but could suburban farming also work? Turn the course into farming plots, maybe set aside some space for small scale livestock or dairy, clubhouse becomes workshops and crafting spaces, you could hold regular trading markets for people to share their stuff; I think it could work and might actually be something that in some places could actually get some younger folk interested in living somewhere they otherwise might not consider.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Squalid posted:

I don’t know how much point there would be in that since most of the houses in neighborhoods with golf courses will also have yards large enough for their own gardens.

In America we usually call an allotment farm community gardens, they are not uncommon but given average lot sizes in North America they aren’t a necessity for most people who just wants a few herbs and tomatoes.

If golf’s popularity continues to decline I expect a lot of these will be converted to various other uses, no point spending money on maintenance if nobody wants to play.

Also I’m not sure what a “trading market” is but I suspect it will be somewhat analogous to the American ‘yard sale’ when you put your junk out in front of the house and sell stuff you don’t need for a few pennies on the dollar. You don’t normally trade stuff for stuff as the idea is generally to reduce clutter, but you could.

I was thinking something larger scale than your average community garden or backyard vegetable garden, and that would allow for cooperative use and such. And I guess I don't really know what exactly you'd call the market. Farmer's market I suppose, not like a yard sale, but maybe less selling and more exchanging. How about some of my onions for a few of your tomatoes and so on. Community produce exchange or something. I dunno.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Many golf courses are well-situated to turn into public parks.

I'm talking about largely failing planned communities. Usually there are already small parks scattered throughout. We're not talking a municipal course in the city. I mean repurposing lovely suburbs.