Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Obstructing market rate development on the basis you want that development to be publicly owned is nonsense in most areas. Like the Seattle city council recently blocked/delayed a new 442 unit building, and the council definitely didn't follow up with "Also here's our new tax to fund the city building its own 100 million dollar tower". (If they did that would be awesome, but let's not pretend that objecting to market rate development generally leads to public development)

twodot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

SousaphoneColossus posted:

The opposition to that tower was overwhelmingly because it was going to replace the Showbox, not specifically because it was private development. The council wouldn't have stopped it if it was just going up on an empty lot.
Right, the thing I'm illustrating is I can name a lot of examples of private development being blocked by city action, and not a lot of examples where the city blocking private development leads to the city building public housing. Opposition to private development basically never helps public development.