Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Welcome to the Australian Survivor Season 5 thread! :toot:

This season premiered on August 1st, 2018.

Just like Australian Survivor Season 2 twelve years ago, this season includes celebrity contestants. These are 12 famous people who have received accolades and fame for their exceptional work in their given fields. They are on the Champions tribe. Among them is the legendary Russell "The King Stays King" Hantz, a three-time contestant on the American version of Survivor who competed on seasons 19, 20 and 22.

The other tribe is the Contenders tribe, which is made up of 12 non-celebrities. Among them is Benji Wilson, brother of last year's Australian Survivor Season 4 contestant Anneliese Wilson.

Official site | Official Twitter | Wikipedia | Wikia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cool, thanks for the thread.

Russell Hantz aiming to be the first Survivor contested to be the runner up on multiple Continent Survivors.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Episode 1: Not sure I've seen I've seen a player crash and burn so suddenly.

Russell gonna Russell too on his tribe. Not sure how he plans to have the numbers with just three people in a tribe of that size.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao Russel is on Survivor again?

I am so watching this. I didn't even know there were non-US versions of Survivor!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Holy poo poo, just started watching it. Can't believe the host Jonathan actually asked Russell, "What makes you a champion?" right at the start.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty solid start for a season of Survivor. Also one of the players called the host Jeff at tribal... :tipshat:

I do also appreciate Russell not changing his game plan at all, just inflated his ego. I either hope he leaves the game in tears or gets the runner up again.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 2, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Russell finding the HII in three seconds was accompanied by the euphoric treasure chest music from Zelda in my head.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The premiere is perhaps where the extended runtime is most beneficial. The American premieres just feel so breakneck now that it’s nice to get some proper background.

Damian’s comment about feeling like a part of the team really got me :3:

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Holy poo poo, just started watching it. Can't believe the host Jonathan actually asked Russell, "What makes you a champion?" right at the start.

Jonathan LaPaglia > Jeff Probst

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dugong posted:

The premiere is perhaps where the extended runtime is most beneficial. The American premieres just feel so breakneck now that it’s nice to get some proper background.

Damian’s comment about feeling like a part of the team really got me :3:

The longer episodes really is amazing for the early season and makes the show. They have enough time to actually get confessionals from a majority of the cast every single episode. However, it really drags down a bit when there is 6 people left and they are trying to fill 80 minutes of television...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The longer episodes really is amazing for the early season and makes the show. They have enough time to actually get confessionals from a majority of the cast every single episode. However, it really drags down a bit when there is 6 people left and they are trying to fill 80 minutes of television...

Yeah my preferred format would be somewhere between the American and Australian formats. Some of the twists to avoid voting people out on the previous Australian seasons have killed the momentum as well.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Episode 2: Amazing play from Russell. Nerves of steel. Truly the greatest Survivor player of all time.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Episode 1: That was a fun vote, very reminiscent of Garrett in Cagayan really snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I do wish the show had shown us a little more of when the vote switched to Matt before Tribal. I think the vote would have been much more tense if we saw people actually bringing up voting out Matt before Tribal and then not knowing what the "stick to the plan" referred to. Instead, Matt's vote out felt kind of like a cheap twist because we had no reason to think "stick to the plan" would refer to anything but voting out Steve. It also would have been neat to see if it was actually Paige and/or the other women that organized the turn against Matt like they insinuated but never actually showed.

Episode 2: I have no idea what happened with that vote! Did... Russell's plan actually almost work? It sounded insane that he really could get the vote to split 100 different ways without anyone correlating their votes, and I thought for sure he was getting voted out in like a 10-1-1 vote or something. 4-4-2-2 is crazy, and even crazier that seemingly the 4 against him decided to do so at Tribal.

Even if I try to ignore the outcome of the vote, I think Russell made a big mistake by not playing the idol. If Russell's plan works then he's succeeded in fracturing the tribe and doesn't really need the idol anymore anyway and it's not a big deal if he wastes it. If his plan doesn't work, then playing the idol is essential and at least buys him 3 more days. Even in the "worst" case scenario that he wastes the idol he has a very strong chance of finding the next one and now his future idol-playing bluffs will be much more believable.

Overall I thought these two episodes were really great although I'm a little bearish on this season. Very few people are popping out as big characters in the way that the awesome AU S2 cast did. I'm also a little worried that they're burning off 8 episodes in the next 2 weeks, but really who knows with this crazy show's wacky scheduling.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

these 2 episodes have been a pretty good start to the season :)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mancalamania posted:

Episode 2: I have no idea what happened with that vote! Did... Russell's plan actually almost work? It sounded insane that he really could get the vote to split 100 different ways without anyone correlating their votes, and I thought for sure he was getting voted out in like a 10-1-1 vote or something. 4-4-2-2 is crazy, and even crazier that seemingly the 4 against him decided to do so at Tribal.

Even if I try to ignore the outcome of the vote, I think Russell made a big mistake by not playing the idol. If Russell's plan works then he's succeeded in fracturing the tribe and doesn't really need the idol anymore anyway and it's not a big deal if he wastes it. If his plan doesn't work, then playing the idol is essential and at least buys him 3 more days. Even in the "worst" case scenario that he wastes the idol he has a very strong chance of finding the next one and now his future idol-playing bluffs will be much more believable.

Overall I thought these two episodes were really great although I'm a little bearish on this season. Very few people are popping out as big characters in the way that the awesome AU S2 cast did. I'm also a little worried that they're burning off 8 episodes in the next 2 weeks, but really who knows with this crazy show's wacky scheduling.

Yea, it looks like Russell's plan actually almost worked, and managed to cause some chaos with the vote, but then again, throwing around a bunch of names, might have also backfired, since the vote still ended up tied...

Although, I think Russell would be the target every tribal if he didn't have an idol or some protection. He will likely always be the easy vote in any Survivor season he ever plays again.

Also, I appreciate Shane's little burn on Russell with the vote, "Mate, Put some shorts on..."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The fact that this thread exists is my everything.

The fact that I am currently 4000 miles from home, visiting home, and my best friend just stumbles in on my mom's porch in purposes of mateship, and here I am, telling the tale of....

Everything about this television program is incredible.

E: clarity: I had to talk him through tribal #2, because I love this kid, but if you're interrupting me over THIS poo poo, you're sitting down and taking it. He seemed to pretend to appreciate.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 3, 2018

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
Theres also 4 90 minute episodes next week(mon-thurs in Australia) which is odd, iirc no word on how many nights a week after that(I assume 2 a week like last season).

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Never saw anyone talk themselves off the island as quickly as Matt.

Are spoilers needed for episodes that have aired? They're showing so many episodes each week the whole thread is going to redacted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is already better than most seasons of Survivor USA

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Binary Logic posted:

Never saw anyone talk themselves off the island as quickly as Matt.

Are spoilers needed for episodes that have aired? They're showing so many episodes each week the whole thread is going to redacted.

It's such a mixed bag. I think it's fair to spoiler stuff at least for a day or two. The time difference and the 2-4 episodes a week could really mess with someone that was behind 1 or 2 episodes.

But I do agree, the thread shouldn't be a big CIA document.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Brian lake is in this? He was just arrested in japan last month: http://abc.net.au/news/2018-07-09/brian-lake-former-afl-player-arrested-in-japan/9959698

Always was a bit of a thug: https://youtu.be/cDsBNyzJx1g

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Russell: So uh I've been voted off with an idol around my neck. Some people might think that 'Dang that's a stupid move why didn't ya play it' My best move was not to play it.
I made the right move, it just didn't work

LOL he just never learns,. All the scenes of hubris, bragging about being 'the best there ever was' led up to a rewarding tribal.

Also: the Immunity set was amazing! That big tower in the middle of water was fantastic and next week's preview shows another impressive challenge .

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 4, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Brian lake is in this? He was just arrested in japan last month: http://abc.net.au/news/2018-07-09/brian-lake-former-afl-player-arrested-in-japan/9959698

Always was a bit of a thug: https://youtu.be/cDsBNyzJx1g

Wow that's quite a sport. Although for a moment it looked like someone accidently threw a ball onto the field during the brawling.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 4, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Teckiwi posted:

Theres also 4 90 minute episodes next week(mon-thurs in Australia) which is odd, iirc no word on how many nights a week after that(I assume 2 a week like last season).

I don't know what it is, but channel ten just does this. Masterchef operated the same way, and they just had their finale this week. It ended the night before survivor began. I knew survivor was on from the ads at the bottom of the screen. So yeah, 4-5 LONG episodes weekly. That's just how they operate in general.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Binary Logic posted:

Wow that's quite a sport. Although for a moment it looked like someone accidently threw a ball onto the field during the brawling.

Mo Hope plays it too, in the newly established national womens league which has its third season starting in February.

https://youtu.be/SufnIHk6zmc

https://youtu.be/sud344h1VxY

Although shes been traded to another club since filming survivor. There are a few shows about her on youtube because of her path into footy.

And if you want to know about the sport: https://youtu.be/XMZYZcoAcU0

Edit: or join us in our awful thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845962&pagenumber=163&perpage=40

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 4, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ep. 6: A tribe preventing a quit at tribal and then voting out the wannabe quitter so they don't lose two tribe members in one tribal. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Well played.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

less laughter posted:

Ep. 6: A tribe preventing a quit at tribal and then voting out the wannabe quitter so they don't lose two tribe members in one tribal. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Well played.

It was also partially to flush out the idol.

There's definitely some edit trickery going around, as in some confessionals you can clearly see guys being clean shaven.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, I want to say I saw that in previous seasons of the show. It's like after the season is over or those people are out, they film some new confessionals to smooth things out. Their seasons are so long, I bet they already have a few episodes in the bag all edited by the time they finish...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kind of glad they did 4 episodes this week with the eliminated players. With the gimps and injured all leaving the game. I wouldn't have minded if they let Damian go a little longer, but still

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I had the opposite reaction, 4 episodes in 1 week is too much! I ff'ed through most of the last episode since I was no longer interested in hearing the same people say the same things again.
Is it winter in Australia and everyone's snowed in making them willing to watch so many hours of this show each week?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think it's just the Australian/channel ten reality competition format. Survivor launched just as soon as they were done with their 5x/week Masterchef.

Which is brilliant, by the way.

Agreed though, pretty much nobody needs quite this much Survivor.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ep. 8: Voted out by a single vote :lol:

Exquisite HII play.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ah yea, Redemption Island, but (hopefully) only for 2 tribals...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
For anyone who didn't watch the past few hours of Australian Survivor I offer a one-sentence recap:
The tribe composed mostly of professional athletes is dominating the physical challenges.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It is quite shocking that the champions tribe is winning.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is burning off whiskers with a flaming stick a specifically Aussie grooming technique? Don't remember seeing that before.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

I had the opposite reaction, 4 episodes in 1 week is too much! I ff'ed through most of the last episode since I was no longer interested in hearing the same people say the same things again.
Is it winter in Australia and everyone's snowed in making them willing to watch so many hours of this show each week?

As said below it's just Australian reality TV formats in general. Have a look at Masterchef US and compare it to the UK show which is great, then compare that to the AUS show which is even better with more episodes a week. The 4 eps week was a one off for scheduling reasons and its back to mon/tues nights until the final.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Binary Logic posted:

It doesnt snow here pretty much at all.

australian tv isn't like america, we have free to air and foxtel (which is analogous to your cable but they have a monopoly). Most of the poo poo on free to air is horrible, horrible garbage. Like, lets get some random lebanese stereotypes and make a reality tv show about them. Or, lets grab a bunch of bogans and have them react to things. 90% of air time is talent shows/cooking competition shows/renovation shows. They barely if ever have anything good and have a loooot of ads because thats how they support themselves. Then you have foxtel, which you pay a tonne for, like if you want 6 good channels, they'll all be split up into different packs b/c they know how to nickle and dime us. foxtel also has just as many ads.

We have almost no original tv, and most of it is crap like home and away. Actual good shows from overseas are ridiculously hard to get for a reasonable price. The result is we are all used to watching repetitive garbage or have just stopped watching it alltogether in favour of pirating stuff. When foxtel was still trying to squeeze pennies from game of thrones viewers, we were the #1 copyright pirates world wide by a mile. You should have seen Australian big brother, that poo poo was like every night, then you had the friday night games, and the late night talk shows and then the later night adult stuff where they have footage of the contestants in the showers or touching boobs.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 19, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sounds like American tv. Except we learned to tolerate the garbage, but dont tolerate nudity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So is Tenplay free to air, then?

• Locked thread