Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Be strong Covol, you spend like a major pillar in your family. I'm sure your parents appreciate you more than you know right now. But you're gonna need to take some "me time" on the near future, maybe just jump in the car and get away for a couple days.

Also can confirm thieving family are the worst. My Aunt tried to work her way in when my grandfather passed because she heard there was a good deal of money sitting around. When she was blown off she flat out demanded a payout because she claimed to have spent so much time with him over the years (untrue). Also worth noting, not her father!
So she comes to visit and when her request for money is again denied she leaves and my mom gets a visit from adult protective services because that wretched human thought she could somehow be award custody if my mother was found to be unfit.

Bitch tried to invite herself to my wedding too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Bitch tried to invite herself to my wedding too.

We were worried my wife's glad-handing, no-account cousins (children of the thieving, excommunicated aunt) would try to crash our wedding, uninvited. They didn't show (luckily they live in St. Louis and we're in FL), but my wife's parents were convinced they might, and I had my groomsmen on notice to keep an eye out for them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Welp. Any event called "comic-con" is now officially violating the trademark of SDCC.

Judge Issues "Comic-Con" Injunction

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Do we have a "Cool (fan)Art" Thread? I remember there was a Bad One, it is kinda weird that there wouldn't be one for the good

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm_T123h10J/

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Welp. Any event called "comic-con" is now officially violating the trademark of SDCC.

Well, any event without significant legal muscle. So NYCC is probably fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

1)That's psychotic
2)Won't affect much, Emerald City Comic-con will now be Emerald City Con, et-al.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Well, any event without significant legal muscle. So NYCC is probably fine.

Unless you're Disney it's actually really difficult to overturn legal precedent on these things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

1)That's psychotic
2)Won't affect much, Emerald City Comic-con will now be Emerald City Con, et-al.

They can also still say Comic Convention.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Do we have a "Cool (fan)Art" Thread? I remember there was a Bad One, it is kinda weird that there wouldn't be one for the good

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm_T123h10J/

This thread?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512726

e: Ah. It's dead. You should restart it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some info on Axel Alonso and Bill Jemas' new comic publishing company Artists, Writers, Artisans Inc.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/28/bill-jemas-new-comics-publisher-with-axel-alonso-artists-writers-artisans-inc/
It's mostly just boring business stuff (other than the title 'Animatronically Correct', which I can only imagine is about robot genitals), but remember Jamas' last try with the weirdly formatted zombie and swearing girl comics. We could be in for some hot trash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey it's Jack Kirby's birthday.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Happy 101, big man!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

Hey it's Jack Kirby's birthday.

I always forget it's the same day as my mother's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KanadaCat/status/1033896460138491904

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I read elsewhere that the Comic-Con thing was a lot more about misrepresentation than the trademark.

Seems the Salt Lake guys tried to make everyone think they were associated with SDCC and were doing more of a salt lake COMIC-CON type of thing over the years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wizard doesn't brand their cons as "Comic-Con" but they sell a fuckload of CC merch at the shows.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Louise Simonson's Galactus miniseries any good?

https://www.amazon.ca/Galactus-Devo...-fPL&ref=plSrch

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I read elsewhere that the Comic-Con thing was a lot more about misrepresentation than the trademark.

Seems the Salt Lake guys tried to make everyone think they were associated with SDCC and were doing more of a salt lake COMIC-CON type of thing over the years.

I think the final straw was Salt Lake literally drove a fleet of audi's with vinyl wraps on them advertising SLCC in front of SDCC back and forth for the 5 days of con one year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So I was a dumbass and clicked a "26 things you didn't know about the Avengers" listicle from a film website and in addition to it being stuff that I already knew or wasn't true, got this gem.

quote:

Falcon the first African American superhero in mainstream comics, and unlike black superheroes like Black Panther who preceded him, he didn’t have the word “black” in his name.

It's cool Falcon didn't have the word "Black" in his name, but gently caress.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Sam was born in New York and T'Challa was born in Wakanda. One of them is African-American the other is just African.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Black Panther isn't American.

EDIT: Beaten like anyone that ever messed with Jack Kirby.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 30, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Black Falcon is a pretty badass name though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When I was a little kid, I always thought Black Vulcan on Super Friends was being called Black Falcon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When I was a little kid, I always thought Black Vulcan on Super Friends was being called Black Falcon.

That's Super-Volt!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Marie Severin and Gary Friedrich died today. What a lovely start to the day.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure everyone would agree with you:
https://youtu.be/uBSrP7ub6VA

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

So I was a dumbass and clicked a "26 things you didn't know about the Avengers" listicle from a film website and in addition to it being stuff that I already knew or wasn't true, got this gem.

It's cool Falcon didn't have the word "Black" in his name, but gently caress.
It's also weird because Black Panther preceded Falcon by over three years, though technically yeah, Black Panther is not an African-American superhero. It also leans on "superhero" given that Falcon was preceded by Bill Foster (pre-getting-Pym-Particles), Gabe Jones, Robbie Robertson, and probably a couple of other people I'm forgetting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Aw. My friend got me a framed poster of comic covers from the month I was born as a late birthday gift.

I don't have the heart to tell him about the month on the cover being the pull date.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Aw. My friend got me a framed poster of comic covers from the month I was born as a late birthday gift.

I don't have the heart to tell him about the month on the cover being the pull date.

As Stan Lee once said, no one understands how the months on the cover work.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yeah! I'll proudly own the month For the Man Who Has Everything came out.

Idea for September thread: Post the best comic that came out the month you were born.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Unfortunately afaik I've never read a comic published in July of 86

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Watchmen would have been on stands then.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Post some of the covers from that month, and people will tell you if something significant happened.

August 85 had Spidey go to the suburbs, and Barry Allen was found guilty for murder.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

That's a very cute gift. A few years ago I mentioned offhand that technically my first published writing was a letter in the back of Sensational Spider-Man-- I got a note from the editor that they were running it but since I only really got to the comic store sporadically back then I never actually got the issue-- and my friends went to the trouble to track the issue down and have it framed. It's a deeply stupid letter but I have it up in my office, it's a nice Mike Wieringo cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Newborn Teenage Fansub! You must help me discover the identity of Chimera! - Batman Oct 1983.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Watchmen would have been on stands then.

Okay I got one comic then at least

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Okay I got one comic then at least

A pretty important one at that!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yeah! I'll proudly own the month For the Man Who Has Everything came out.

Idea for September thread: Post the best comic that came out the month you were born.

I haven't gone through the list of everything from September 81 but Miller's Daredevil is going to be competitive for the top spot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Screw figuring out actual publication date. March 83 has the first issues Grendel and The New Mutants, and this Uncanny X-Men cover:

As well as this cover for Spectacular Spider-Man 76:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics has a good but not comprehensive feature on its site that lets you see what came out in any given month. July 1986 is a year and a half or so before I was able to convince my parents to take me across town to a comic shop every weekend, but I remember a startling number of these covers.

Not much of anything of note came out the month I was born (November 1978) but I still have some incredibly beat up comics purchased for me on the day I was born, though they're apparently technically from the previous month. The most significant (and bizarre) has to be Batman #308, the first appearance of Lucius Fox, and also a comic with this cover:

Trying to imagine the process of my dad thinking "well I'm a father now, what to purchase my firstborn son to commemorate his bi--- A HA! Perfect!"

Also to go full James Burke between the Comicsgate Thread and the Plaid In Comics Art Thread and this birthday conversation, here's a cover by Bill Sienkiewicz from Jordan7hm's birth month:

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 1, 2018

• Locked thread