Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

I petitioned for last year's august thread title to reference The Great Ten, and now it's finally happened. Thank you :)

The Great Ten suck but the reference was right there, I couldn't resist

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 3, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I seriously hate The Great Ten so much. DC is making a new all-Chinese superhero team! Great! But they can't just be regular superheroes, oh no. After all, China is bad and foreign, those are it's two defining characteristics, so Chinese superheroes have to be hosed up and weird. China is one of the bad guy countries, so their main villain is going to be the Chinese government itself! But China is also like a totalitarian state, so there wouldn't be superheroes without the Chinese government's say-so, so they'll also be like slaves of the government. But we want the superheroes to be good guys, so some of them don't like their position as slaves to an evil organization. There you go, that wraps it up nicely

Our new super hero team is a bunch of hosed up foreign weirdos who hate being alive and are primarily defined by their subservient position to a real life government that we're gonna treat like one of the evil organizations from Bond movies. Get your wills ready boys, because we're gonna be buried alive in money and Eisners. Like those clay soldiers, that's a China thing! Put that in the comic!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know I'm ages late to this, but Black Panther is a really good movie. It seems like Marvel is making an effort to have interesting, memorable villains lately, and that really shows in Black Panther. Hell, at points he's even more sympathetic than the hero. But it's still really weird that the villain wins in the end.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is that one darkly funny scene where the CIA agent guys is remotely operating the king's plane, and he sees that he's getting fired at by another spaceship, and he's like "Put me back in"

It's like, wow, that guy is so brave. He's literally risking his life to save white supremacy.

Not the kinda black humor you expect in a Marvel movie.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Marriage Night posted:

Getting put back in is risky because his remote location is under attack.

yeah, the spaceship is shooting at the window, and if the window breaks he'll die, but he would rather risk death than just stand by and let the oppressed people of the world be armed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madkal posted:

You do realize that he was fighting on the same side as Black Panther, right.

Yeah, the CIA guy and Black Panther are working together to stop Killmonger from arming the oppressed peoples of the world and ending white supremacy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Goodbody is mangling the take that the CIA are the bad guys, as they have been interfering with 3rd World countries politics for decades

Unsurprisingly, his attempts at jokes are as successful as all the other ones.

I'm not joking, I'm 100% serious. There's a movie called The Spook Who Sat By The Door from the 1970s about a black man trained by the CIA to destabilize governments who uses his training to set up black resistance cells across the US. Black Panther takes that story but casts the hero as a villain and has a superhero murder him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLKSyy5AwtQ

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BillBear posted:

Doesn't Killmonger boast about how many oppressed people he killed and how many governments he toppled while working for the CIA? I'm not sure he really cares about anyone but himself.

It was a "this is what I had to do to get here" kinda monologue. While Killmonger was definitely motivated in large part by a combination of personal animus towards T'Chaka and a desire to see the homeland he had been told about, that doesn't make his overall goal any less noble. He enjoyed killing T'Challa, but once he had the throne he tried to use it for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I listed a run of comics "#1-113 + THIS BOOK and EXTRAS." I got a decent sum for it but I felt it could have gone for more. I just checked and the same manner of auction listed as "#1-100 + extras " sold for nearly double what I got out of mine.

That other listing was probably money laundering

• Locked thread