Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The early issues are fun as pulpy monster adventures but when Martin Pasko takes over it's really loving boring and forgettable. Swamp Thing fights a golem once and that's about it. Honestly I recommend skipping it entirely because Alan Moore brings back the supporting cast as really hosed up parodies of themselves in his run, so if you actually end up liking them you'll just feel bummed out at how they turn out.

I mean there is this panel:

But context doesn't really make it any better.

I recommend anyone who wants to get into Swamp Thing to just read the 24 issue Lein Wein series and then skip to Moore's run.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jesus Christ, Brubaker and Fraction's run on Immortal Iron Fist was over a decade ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

A lot of Judge Dredd and Judge Anderson. Also Denise Mina's run on Hellblazer which isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Isn't that the stuff where Constantine goes to live in a hippie commune? I loved that arc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

No, that's the Delano run. Mina's run is where he goes to Scotland and kills people by standing near them.

I don't remember that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Covok posted:

They're taking my grandmother off life support tomorrow. The only reason they didn't do it today is because my cousin's birthday is today and they didn't want that to happen on the same day. So that loving sucks and I've been drinking.

I'm truly sorry for what you must be going through.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

So, Donny Cates has apparently always been insane. No idea he wrote this classic before "Cosmic Ghost Rider"

https://twitter.com/Charliestolz/status/1032344379967631360

There was a comic in Strange Tales where Spider-man moved to a city of humanoid spiders and stood out as a freak, and there was that time in the JMS run where a spider called him an idiot moron for not killing people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Low print run most likely. Bet you can get the singles for a buck each or so.

Once again we faithful readers are at the whims of the shambling corpse of print media.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Welp. Any event called "comic-con" is now officially violating the trademark of SDCC.

Judge Issues "Comic-Con" Injunction

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Well, any event without significant legal muscle. So NYCC is probably fine.

Unless you're Disney it's actually really difficult to overturn legal precedent on these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Aw. My friend got me a framed poster of comic covers from the month I was born as a late birthday gift.

I don't have the heart to tell him about the month on the cover being the pull date.

As Stan Lee once said, no one understands how the months on the cover work.

• Locked thread