Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should i buy a gun
yes
no
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

elmer chud posted:

They have worse recoil and are harder to aim. They absolutely look better, though.

If you put a stock on them it’s not so bad. I have two and don’t even bother taking them to the range because I just hip fire them and don’t aim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Icochet posted:

"I own a gun and don't suffer from erectile dysfunction"
-said by nobody ever

my gun club puts the fun in erectile dysfunction

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I fired a kalashnikov variant in the army a whole lot, never really understood what the fun bit was. I was possibly the worst shot in the garrison's history. One officer called me a "travesty of a soldier" and i'm still proud of that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Icochet posted:

I fired a kalashnikov variant in the army a whole lot, never really understood what the fun bit was.

It makes a really loud noise and a big hole in something.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It makes a really loud noise and a big hole in something.

I guess. Maybe my experience was soured by the fact that i was forced to do it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Get a blunderbuss and a bicorne and shoot larpers who have inferior weaponry

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Don't buy a gun - buy a 3D printer instead

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
buy one and do something incredibly reckless with it, also become an open carry enthusiast, maybe start your own youtube channel? this is Your New Thing! so jump right on in with both feet and just have fun with it!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You should own a gun. Guns are fun.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a co-worker who has been buying guns non-stop ever since the 2016 election season. He never owned one before. He has yet to actually fire one. He's doing it to 'own the libs' and because he sincerely believes that the Democrats will go door to door taking guns away.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have a co-worker who has been buying guns non-stop ever since the 2016 election season. He never owned one before. He has yet to actually fire one. He's doing it to 'own the libs' and because he sincerely believes that the Democrats will go door to door taking guns away.

so he's going to give the government even more when they decide to take them away, got it

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
buy a cool .22lr like a buckmark pistol or a lever action. henry makes really inexpensive ones that are all right. or get a 10/22 if you are boring

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ive killed more animals with my car than with my guns so probably need to outlaw cars i think we should use guns for transportation instead you just ride it like a harry potter broom and jump up and shoot it behind you and the force of the shot will make you fly forwards it is basic physics

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

funkybottoms posted:

so he's going to give the government even more when they decide to take them away, got it

I never said he was smart. I figure he plans on putting up a fight or something when the day comes.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
You should get a grenade launcher OP. They really make an impression at the old cousins wedding!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

funkybottoms posted:

lol buddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Can't believe nobody voted goku

Shameful

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

^^ dont worry I fixed it

buy a goku

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Can't believe nobody voted goku

Shameful

Oh you

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and I'll tell you what you can do with it!!

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
You should get cherry flavored bullets.

That'll help them go down smoother.

Salty Josh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 4, 2018

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Jerk off first and then see how you feel. This is advice before you’re thinking of getting a hooker but is actually sound advice for anything

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A gun generates a powerful aura of virility and sexual dominance.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

LabyaMynora posted:

join the NRA.

Better hurry up, they're going bankrupt lol.

I have guns and I enjoy them and I'm really liberal. I took my 71 year old dad to the pistol range two days ago and he absolutely loved it. He started off not even hitting the target but I instructed him a lot and seeing his progress was amazing. I'm actually getting really good now. Well I shoot like every other week, sometimes twice, sometimes once a month. But I go a lot. I brought some fun guns so he could have a variety to shoot. Both of our favorites by far is the Ruger Mark IV Lite. I have a red dot scope on it and it's just fun as hell. A little .22 so you can shoot it all day for pennies and it's super accurate. My dad actually said, "Wow, that was fun. And really relaxing. Let me know when you go again. Like, whenever you go again. Anytime." He's an ok guy.

I'm also bipolar and I honestly think I shouldn't be allowed to own a gun legally. I'm all for stricter gun laws. And people with certain mental disorders probably shouldn't have killing tools if their brain decides to freak out. But :patriot: so gently caress it I'm buying guns. I also find it really relaxing. That sounds counterintuitive but seriously. It's super relaxing for my brain. My mind stops having the rapid thoughts and all of the bullshit that exists that makes me have a sadbrain and I focus on that tiny point 7 yards or so in front of me. There are no other worries in the world, well besides shooting myself, and all I care about is that little dot on the target. It's almost a form of meditation. Completely focusing the mind on a single thing. You have to control your breath so I'm very aware of my breathing. The ear muffs block out idle chatter besides the gun shots of course. It's like I'm in my own little world and the only thing that exists is me, that piece of paper, and the gun I use to put tiny holes in it.

I don't hunt, I'm a liberal pussy. I couldn't even kill a deer and those dumb pieces of poo poo are getting mercy killed every year here in Wisconsin due to the horrible chronic wasting disease that they're all painfully dying from. They also murder a few people a year by car crashes. So gently caress deer, but I'm a bitch so can't kill one. I could probably kill a chipmunk though. That little fucker keeps clogging my downspout. I have two squirrels that are fun to watch and even though they dig holes in my newly planted grass they're just cute. I also have two rabbits that are always getting increasingly bolder by my presence. They give no fucks now when I'm like 6 feet from them. They're adorable. :3:

Ok that was a tangent. Are you seriously considering buying a gun or is this just a GBS hur hur post? What kind of gun are you looking for? How much are you willing to spend? I don't know much about different types of guns. I just get my mind set on a certain thing I'm looking for and then just research that specific style or gun and then pull the trigger. :haw:

Also my dick is above average size. Not sure how that worked out. I drive a Subaru Forester though. And I have been asked by more than one person if I was a lesbian for driving that. :confused: It's practical for my needs drat it! I can carry my bikes, tow trailers, mount my kayaks on the roof.... you know when I do those things once a year. Well plus it's just excellent in the snow.

Anyway. Yeah. Buy one if you want to have fun murdering pieces of paper.

fake edit: woah wall of text

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Guns are good and cool and you should always buy a gun.

Everyone should buy a gun. :)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
http://www.reddit.com/r/dgu/

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I’m amazed a misanthrope isn’t asking to be let back in specifically for this thread. Rest in piss, friend

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm also bipolar and I honestly think I shouldn't be allowed to own a gun legally. I'm all for stricter gun laws. And people with certain mental disorders probably shouldn't have killing tools if their brain decides to freak out.

Yeah, no, gently caress that. Nobody should be forbidden from buying tools for self defense and/or hunting just because of a mental health issue. Like obviously certain mental health issues can be exceptions, but don’t take away my ability to defend myself or my property from an armed intruder just because I have depression or something.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Icochet posted:

"I own a gun and don't suffer from erectile dysfunction"
-said by nobody ever

"I constantly think about penises"
-said icochet

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

What would you use it for op?

Serious question.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I believe the current law says you have to have been adjudicated as a mental defective or involuntarily committed to lose your gun rights

Oh or if you illegally use or are addicted to any controlled substance. So don't do that

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 4, 2018

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah, no, gently caress that. Nobody should be forbidden from buying tools for self defense and/or hunting just because of a mental health issue. Like obviously certain mental health issues can be exceptions, but don’t take away my ability to defend myself or my property from an armed intruder just because I have depression or something.

Sorry your opinion is invalidated because you began your post with the dreadful and verboten "Yeah, no".

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I believe the current law says you have to have been adjudicated as a mental defective or involuntarily committed to lose your gun rights

This is correct. People fill out the federal form for me frequently as I sell guns in Oregon on a regular basis.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I don't know about it being forbidden but buying a gun is far more dangerous to an extremely depressed person than the miniscule chance of the grownup daydream scenario of both (a) someone breaking into the home and (b) said depressed person with gun being in the right position to shoot or chase off the intruder. I guess it depends on what you mean by "certain mental health issues" since that's extremely vague

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

I find this hilarious, as a liberal. After election day, but before the final popular vote tally, I imagined skinheads and camouflage-clad militia men going door-to-door dragging people out of their houses. I thought about buying a gun before 1/20/17, but didn't. I am very amused that your coworker is stocking up weapons when his "side" ostensibly won.

My father-in-law had one little six shooter handgun before Obama was elected. By 2016 he had a mini-arsenal, literally at least a dozen guns, 3 handguns and the rest rifles. 2016 was also the year we found out he molested his youngest daughter when she was 11. Funny how the holy roller, all-American patriot types always end up being the worst loving monsters.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a hole-y ghost posted:

I don't know about it being forbidden but buying a gun is far more dangerous to an extremely depressed person than the miniscule chance of the grownup daydream scenario of both (a) someone breaking into the home and (b) said depressed person with gun being in the right position to shoot or chase off the intruder. I guess it depends on what you mean by "certain mental health issues" since that's extremely vague

It happens often enough id say

http://www.reddit.com/r/dgu/

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

fake edit: woah wall of text

I went to a shooting range with my daughter-molesting father-in-law years ago, before we knew he was a daughter-molester. I hated it. The gun store/range owners were real weirdos (lots of signs up about "if only SHE had a GUN she wouldn't have been RAPED") and I walked out of there feeling dizzy and disoriented from the loud noise.

I also don't want to buy a gun and go to shooting ranges because then I'm giving money to the gun humping miscreants. I don't think there are any left-leaning pro-reasonable gun control gun store/range owners out there, they're all pretty much NRA nuts.

I however would have no trouble shooting animals. I keep having problems with squirrels breaking into my attic, I actually have a roofer coming out this week to look at a hole they made in my roof. I would like nothing more than to sit on my porch with a rifle blasting every loving squirrel I see. gently caress squirrels forever.

Also, my wife and I were recently shopping for cars and she really really really wanted a Subaru Forester for no explainable reason. I didn't know they were lesbian cars, but it's not the first time I find myself wondering if my wife is a lesbian.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I just looked some stuff up, and I've seen references to a study that says guns are used in self defense 500,000 to 3 million times per year, though the pages that claim this never seem to link that source.

Even still, the number of home invasions where residents use guns to try and stop intruders seems to be a lot higher than I thought, though the actual effectiveness of guns at stopping such a thing is hard to quantify (aside from say, number of burglars shot dead by residents, which is low, but it doesn't cover the probably greater number that simply get scared away). So I suppose it could be pretty significant.

Anyone have links to good studies on this? I am intrigued.

e: Just found a reference to that study that sources it.

https://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/3#15

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 4, 2018

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I am a liberal pussy and have a fair amount of guns that I use for murdering paper / clays / deer because I think that stuff's fun. They're always locked up. I keep a bat under my bed :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

LabyaMynora posted:

If you're thinking about buying a gun, jerk off instead. If after reaching completion, you still want to buy a gun, jerk off again. Keep jerking off until the desire to acquire a firearm passes. If you beat your dick into a bloody pulp until it falls off, join the NRA.

i did this and now i have 10 guns

wait

*flexes*

better make it 12

• Locked thread